Struggling to find carbohydrate/calorie sources for a picky athlete who needs over 6k cals a day

Jaryn Finch

So I'm fine with sweet potatoes, squash, etc but my boyfriend recently started his first whole30 and we're struggling to get him carbs - he hates potatoes/squash/spinach for the texture.

In addition to being a competitive athlete who lifts and trains daily, he's working as a mover while finishing school and burns an unbelievable amount of calories - I've seen him finish off over 10k calories and still lose weight! (I work in nutrition/coaching etc and honestly had never seen an athlete actually do that till I met him.)

Any good recommendations out there? Any athletes who are trying to put on clean muscle that have similar caloric demands willing to share their daily diet?

On the same vein... anyone have any good recipes I can hide sweet potatoes in? :)

Thanks!

• Moderators

You might try yucca. I don't really like the taste that much, but it is a staple carb in South America and some other parts of the world.

I use turnips and rutabagas in place of potatoes frequently.

Another thing that occurs to me is broccoli, cauliflower, parsnips, and carrots. They are not really starchy, but they make a great puree. Steam them, mix with ghee, salt, and garlic powder, and puree in a food processor. I mix them together - carrots and cauliflower, broccoli and cauliflower, spinach and cauliflower, etc.

Archived