glucose tolerance test for PCOS

im starting the September whole 30 with the group on 9/5 (this will be my second whole 30) and i have a glucose tolerance test scheduled for sept 16 from a weight loss dr that i went to regarding my PCOS/struggle with weight. i made that appt before i committed to the september whole 30 (which i just did today). not sure how to handle. its 75 grams of straight glucose. has anyone done this while on a whole 30? i wont have time to do the test after the whole 30 in time for my follow up appt which is october 10. 

• Moderators

The problem is that what you have scheduled is not compatible with doing a Whole30. Knowing what I know about the Whole30, I would cancel the appointment with the weight loss doc and settle into living a Whole30-style life. If you take a dose of glucose, your body will go back to day zero whether you count it or not. No one will throw you out of the September group, but will not be in the same place that you would have been without the interruption.

3 hours ago, Tom Denham said:

The problem is that what you have scheduled is not compatible with doing a Whole30. Knowing what I know about the Whole30, I would cancel the appointment with the weight loss doc and settle into living a Whole30-style life. If you take a dose of glucose, your body will go back to day zero whether you count it or not. No one will throw you out of the September group, but will not be in the same place that you would have been without the interruption.

A moderator is telling someone to cancel a doctor's appt? Is this for real? 

• Administrators

@KaraH - First of all, "a moderator" is a human being with an opinion and personal experiences that go together to make up their ability to give recommendations. We are not robots. An opinion that you don't necessarily agree with isn't any less valid.

Second, the doctor's appt that she has is with a weight loss doctor, not a cardiologist, for crying out loud. She's not going to see the doctor and be cured of PCOS and her weight gain in the next 16 days, chances are she has the freedom to reschedule that appt to a time that better suits her, if she so chooses.

Finally, my opinion, similar to Tom's is that a weight loss doctor's advice and the Whole30 way of living more than likely run at cross purposes to each other and a person, in order to really commit to one or the other, should probably choose one or the other. A Whole30 style of living, longterm, is shown to correct or mediate a great deal of the issues that a lot of people have. Not to say that no one ever needs a doctor and maybe this person still would, but if you create a Whole30 baseline, eating proper portions of healthy, whole food, for a significant period of time, the "issues" that a person has that result from food intolerances and irritations don't muddy the waters of any other medical issues that may be going on.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I've been giving it a lot of thought and have decided to cancel the bloodwork and appt for now. In my heart of hearts I know my sugar addiction is the cause of my long term inability to lose weight and that's something I've really just come to terms with in a way that I am ready to make a significant change. Weight loss medication is not the answer and neither is a diet that rules out all potatoes and winter squash but supports fat free yogurt (as was suggested). I need to find the change within myself not in a pill bottle. Thanks to this community for the support. 

Archived