Tea with what kind of milk????

ChristineC

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to Whole30 and starting mine on September 5th! I'm doing my planning this week.  I'm pretty comfortable with all the restrictions except what do I do about milk in my tea???? I have to have tea every morning and I'm looking for suggestions to put in it instead of regular milk.  I've never tried almond milk, would it taste weird in tea?

Thanks!!!

Christine

• Moderators

You'll just have to find some compliant almond milk or coconut milk and try it and see if it works for you. Some people are good with it, some aren't. You may find you don't actually need that tea in the morning, or that you don't need any milk in it at all. Be open minded about it -- this is about changing your whole life, after all. Why not start with your morning cup of tea?

• 2 months later...

IMHO, Almond milk doesn't hold up well for tea or coffee. It separates and looks really nasty. The coconut milk is ok in coffee but I'm not a fan of how it tastes in tea. Being from the UK, I'm very particular about my tea being just the way I like it. But, I've made a decision to live Whole 30 and it's entirely my choice to do so. I know that if the tea is THAT important to me, I can have it, but I'm choosing not to for 30 days. Instead, I choose to have coffee with coconut milk in the morning, then herbal teas without anything added, for the rest of the day.

If going tea less isn't an option but you just can't figure out how to make tea with a compliant non dairy milk work, try switching teas. Teas with ginger or cinnamon tend to have a bit of natural sweetness (if you can find them compliant, which hasn't been too much of an issue for me because I was picky about tea before whole30 and this was the case even then. In fact on a few teas I had to double check the ingredients just to make sure I wasn't drinking something sneaky.  Nope. Just the sweetness of the cinnamon or ginger!) 

some teas just aren't good without cream (sorry earl grey!) but others are great! (I looooooove sleepy time straight)

however if changing teas and non dairy milks  don't quite work, try going without. You may find that you don't need the tea or the milk. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived