TheChris357

Whole30 App?

Recommended Posts

My wife and I are super new to the program.  Our friends have been trying to get us to do it for years and we finally decided to jump in.  I was surprised that there isn't a Whole30 app.  As a newby, it would be super helpful to have something on your phone with resources.  Especially a searchable "Can I have____" database.  I'd pay $5 or $10 for the app.

Just a suggestion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest   
Guest

there's a new collaboration with real plans I believe, which has an app and helps with meal planning/shopping lists etc :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was searching for something like this the other day.  At this point, the best I've found is myPaleoPal.  I downloaded it, but haven't played around with it yet.  It might be helpful until a Whole30 one is developed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 7:41 PM, TheChris357 said:

My wife and I are super new to the program.  Our friends have been trying to get us to do it for years and we finally decided to jump in.  I was surprised that there isn't a Whole30 app.  As a newby, it would be super helpful to have something on your phone with resources.  Especially a searchable "Can I have____" database.  I'd pay $5 or $10 for the app.

Just a suggestion.

 

I would love this tool as well! It would be super handy to have the forum and tools on my phone. I mean, I keep the web page open on my phone... I bet it's only a matter of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just dowloaded the Real Plans app. When I click on a recipe though, it stops scrolling at Step 1 for prep...I can only see the directions if i click edit. Anyone else have this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/7/2016 at 3:05 PM, wholejessica said:

I would love this tool as well! It would be super handy to have the forum and tools on my phone. I mean, I keep the web page open on my phone... I bet it's only a matter of time.

 

8 hours ago, LG0718 said:

I found Sift, I paid $1 to get the whole 30 version. You scan a sku or bar code of a food item and it will tell you if it's  compliant :) 

It really isn't possible to have a reliable "Can I have" app as brands and preparation methods and formulations can vary so much and can change at any time. The house brand that was compliant last week can have non-plan ingredients this week. Any app is likely to be incomplete and out of date.

Just as importantly, learning to read the labels on everything you buy is a valuable life skill and one of the main NSVs of doing a Whole30. It's more valuable in the long run to develop this mindfulness than to rely on an app. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JennWolfenbarger said:

I'm confused! Did I miss a response from the Moderator on the original post? I, too, was super surprised there wasn't a W30 app...

No. There is no Whole30 app. As has been said before the logistics of keeping such an app updated with EVERY product available out there in the US, never mind Worldwide would be impossible as food manufacturers change recipes often & according to costs, and formulas/recipes vary from month to month, and region to region, and more so from country to country according to food law.

A big part of the process is learning to read food labels for yourself - and that way you are accountable to no-one, but yourself.

There are a number of pdfs available for download listing sneaking sugars & common additives for example which will make this job easier for you, and allow you to take ownership of your own long term health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to have an app with the most common stuff listed, and then a place for a food tracker/diary that would allow you to post/share with friends, etc. I'd love to be able to see what other people are eating and how my friends doing this with me are fairing - similar to FitBit. Just a suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yaliina said:

the most common stuff

The most common stuff is produce - meat, fish, seafood, game, poultry, vegetables, & fruits.

If you stick with produce you won't go far wrong.

And other than keeping a food diary to keep track of any symptoms tracking of any kind is discouraged.

If you want to see what other people are eating then IG & Pinterest are FULL of it, just beware of the foods tagged as Whole30 which aren't - another reason why something like this is not practical - how/who would it Police what data/recipes people are uploading/sharing?

The forums are a great place to keep a food log & share experiences with other people at the same stage of the Whole30 as you - plus they are moderated so none (or very little - you're adults & you make your own decisions) of the non-compliant/SWYPO stuff slips under the radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 3:45 AM, Yaliina said:

It would be nice to have an app with the most common stuff listed, and then a place for a food tracker/diary that would allow you to post/share with friends, etc. I'd love to be able to see what other people are eating and how my friends doing this with me are fairing - similar to FitBit. Just a suggestion.

I agree! Not that I'd necessarily want something that would be specific to products, or certainly not store chains (I live no where near WholeFoods or TJ's). But just an app that you can easily, and quickly, open and access all the quick guides while standing in the store. I do have the pdf's downloaded on the home screen of my phone. But they are all saved separately and therefore take up quite a bit of space. 

I would also think it would be cool to have it tie into the social media aspect that W30 relies upon...with "friends" and the ability to post pics of your foods and comments all regarding W30. I realize, though, this in addition to FB and other social media sites would just be additional work for moderators...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2017 at 6:24 AM, jmcbn said:

The most common stuff is produce - meat, fish, seafood, game, poultry, vegetables, & fruits.

If you stick with produce you won't go far wrong.

And other than keeping a food diary to keep track of any symptoms tracking of any kind is discouraged.

If you want to see what other people are eating then IG & Pinterest are FULL of it, just beware of the foods tagged as Whole30 which aren't - another reason why something like this is not practical - how/who would it Police what data/recipes people are uploading/sharing?

The forums are a great place to keep a food log & share experiences with other people at the same stage of the Whole30 as you - plus they are moderated so none (or very little - you're adults & you make your own decisions) of the non-compliant/SWYPO stuff slips under the radar.

I'm assuming "most common stuff" is maybe referring to more of the most commonly used resources? Or possibly most commonly seen additives? Or common sugar substitutes? At least that is what I'd be looking for in an app...for it to have the most common resources right at your fingertip to easily and quickly open when necessary. I realize the accountability is our own. However, no matter how many labels I read, there just might be some words I don't remember. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now