Gearing up for Reintroduction 8 days from today!! Questions on my game plan!

Robin R.

I am currently on Day 23 and have been doing grand!  Feeling great as far as energy and spirit and bloatedness go!  Two major things I am hoping that I can completely eliminate are my drippy sinuses (allergies) as well as chronic decade long headaches.  My ultimate goal is to live mostly W30 for the rest of my days as I am convinced that it is the way I want to live my life as healthily as possible. I am now looking at food to feed my body as well as my spirit!  I can start reintroducing foods next Wednesday, September 7th.  I am spending the day with my now 21 year old daughter and have decided that the first thing I will have is a glass of wine (only one!) with lunch.  I am going away with my husband for our 28th anniversary and will be gone and eating out on Friday night, all day Saturday and Sunday mornings so this is going to be a bit tricky.  (Unfortunately when I planned this I forgot about the reintro stage!)   I have been doing a bit of research and have come to the conclusion that I want to continue to avoid dairy and gluten for a bit longer, but potentially forever if needed.  What I am hoping for here is guidance what foods I should best avoid/reintroduce during this celebratory weekend as eating out will be tricky!   Or if I do indulge accidentally, how to I handle that?  I read somewhere here that sugar and alcohol do not need a 10 day reintro period (I believe!)  Any and all suggestions will be gratefull welcomed!

I am still waiting for some advice!   Yesterday I did talk to my doctor who recommended I do the W30.  She is also doing it and did it for about 50 days before she reintroduced one thing.   She gave me some really good advice on how to handle the weekend I am away.   I already know that I want to stay dairy, gluten and soy free for much longer.   I will be having five meals out.  Two dinners, two breakfasts and one lunch.  She says that I let any servers know what food groups I need to avoid.  My plan is to tell them that I need to be gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, and grain-free depending on what the options are.  She says to order salad with a grilled protein for the top. Bring your own avocadoes, dressings, etc to add.  Order extra veggies for the side.  I also plan to go oneline and look at the menus, then call the restaurants ahead of time to ask my questions.  I do plan to reintroduce wine first, but only for special occaisions.  The weekend will be 28th wedding anniversary so that is the reason I will be starting there, but want to stay as compliant as possible for the rest of the weekend.  

What day are you on and how are you feeling?  

The day I am on depends on who you're talking to!!  lol  I started 9 days ago and went out for dinner something our family never does on day 9.  Accidentally ate teriyaki sauce..ugh!! So now I am on day 2....I am feeling better that is for sure in terms of mood, tiredness, hormones, etc....Haven't lost weight, but I HAVE TO remember this is not about weight loss.  I have IBS so this is more of an experiment for me to see what foods trigger it.  As well to kill my sugar dragon that has been crazy over the last few years as I approached 50!!!

Great ideas on restaurant management..I don't think it is a big deal at all to bring your own dressing....I need to get over my own issues with asking for things to be cooked a certain way.  I grew up as one of five kids and I pride myself on not being a picky eater. Oh well will need to get over that.  When your doctor reintroduced foods do you know if she just added one serving of let's say bread or gluten?  How long did she wait to introduce another food?  

How are you feeling over all?  Did you snack at all? I really have tuned into the fact that I eat a lot out of boredom and habit...not a huge surprise, but being more mindful of it has really opened my eyes!

ISWF says a Whole 30 is 30 days and not a 365.   30 days is enough, just like the book recommends.  Some may go longer to 60 or 90 days, but with each passing day you risk eating non-compliant foods and that's going to mess with your reintroduction results.  

One non-compliant item and the Whole 30 is over.  That's why a Whole 365 is not realistic.  One non-compliant item and it's no longer a Whole 30.  Thirty days is best and then give yourself the test. 

If you should find out that wheat makes you weepy and sad,  adjust accordingly.  If HFCS, high fructose corn syrup, sugar sugars and upside down sugars (artificial sweetners) make you crave sugar incessantly,  check yourself before you wreck yourself. 

You want the reintro results.  Give it all you've got for 30 days.  Take the bull by the horns and do a classic reintro. The more you know...about yourself,  you can start making changes that will take you waaay into the future. 

If you're wanting to stay gluten, dairy & soy free, and you're happy to loosen up the rules around added sugar, and you're definitely trying alcohol then that really only leaves non gluten grains - your safest bet from those would be white rice, and it'd probably make eating out a bit easier.

Sugar doesn't necessarily have it's own day on the reintro process because it's unlikely to effect you physically - it may however effect you psychologically in that it may ignite cravings and leaving you wanting more (& more) sugar. Alcohol could effect you both physically & psychologically and in turn effect your food choices so IMHO it warrants it's own day - or days depending on what drinks you'd like to try out.

Your reintroduction is unique to you. We can help to guide you through the 30 days, but ultimately no-one but you can figure out which foods work for you & which don't - you're in the best position now to figure that out - don't muddy the waters,

On 9/1/2016 at 2:43 PM, marathonbroad said:

The day I am on depends on who you're talking to!!  lol  I started 9 days ago and went out for dinner something our family never does on day 9.  Accidentally ate teriyaki sauce..ugh!! So now I am on day 2....I am feeling better that is for sure in terms of mood, tiredness, hormones, etc....Haven't lost weight, but I HAVE TO remember this is not about weight loss.  I have IBS so this is more of an experiment for me to see what foods trigger it.  As well to kill my sugar dragon that has been crazy over the last few years as I approached 50!!!

Great ideas on restaurant management..I don't think it is a big deal at all to bring your own dressing....I need to get over my own issues with asking for things to be cooked a certain way.  I grew up as one of five kids and I pride myself on not being a picky eater. Oh well will need to get over that.  When your doctor reintroduced foods do you know if she just added one serving of let's say bread or gluten?  How long did she wait to introduce another food?  

How are you feeling over all?  Did you snack at all? I really have tuned into the fact that I eat a lot out of boredom and habit...not a huge surprise, but being more mindful of it has really opened my eyes!

Yes, and don't forgot NOT to weigh yourself!  Remember the no scale rule!  Also if you are only early into the program, then you may be experiencing bloating, etc. that should straighten out.  I know it did with me.

I also grew up in a large family (I was one of) and I always prided myself on being able to eat anything I wanted at all!!  That was when I was younger, of course.  I am still not overweight but wanted to get rid of feeling bloated and that tummy fat.  (Among several other things!) I am on Day 27 and feeling grand.  So it will come.  I do not snack at all. I eat protein, healthy fats and vegetables at every meal which keeps me satiated. I have always been a very big eater with a huge appetite.  Sometimes I am not even really hungry at the meal, but I eat anyway.  

My oesteopath only introduced a natural sugar which was maple syrup, I believe.  She had a paleo cookie!  And she felt terrible.  Full blown headache, etc.  Her Sugar Dragon awakened.  

I have the Whole30 (the 30 Day Guide...) which explains how both the Fast Track intro and Slow Roll work.  Do you have that? I am sure it is also here on the website.  I will probably do a combination of both.    I believe but please feel free to post your own question that you should only add one thing in at a time. For example if bread contains gluten and a sweetener, you should probably try to introduce just one thing.  (ie wheat pasta) and then another time a sweetener.  Not sure I am a newbie!

Good Luck!

On 9/1/2016 at 3:04 PM, MeadowLily said:

ISWF says a Whole 30 is 30 days and not a 365.   30 days is enough, just like the book recommends.  Some may go longer to 60 or 90 days, but with each passing day you risk eating non-compliant foods and that's going to mess with your reintroduction results.  

One non-compliant item and the Whole 30 is over.  That's why a Whole 365 is not realistic.  One non-compliant item and it's no longer a Whole 30.  Thirty days is best and then give yourself the test. 

If you should find out that wheat makes you weepy and sad,  adjust accordingly.  If HFCS, high fructose corn syrup, sugar sugars and upside down sugars (artificial sweetners) make you crave sugar incessantly,  check yourself before you wreck yourself. 

You want the reintro results.  Give it all you've got for 30 days.  Take the bull by the horns and do a classic reintro. The more you know...about yourself,  you can start making changes that will take you waaay into the future. 

Perhaps I did not articulate that well.  I am going the entire 30 days!  My last day is next Tuesday, September 6.  On September 9th my husband and I are going away for the weekend so I was basically asking advice on that.  Is the classic reintro the Fast Track or the Slow Roll.  I was hoping to do a combination, yet still stay away from dairy, gluten for longer because there are still health issues that are not resolved and I am hoping to see results the longer I am off them.  I have been keeping track of everything I eat and drink, and plan to do that every day after the W30 is over.  That way if I do have an issue with anything I eat I will know what caused it.

On 9/1/2016 at 3:17 PM, jmcbn said:

If you're wanting to stay gluten, dairy & soy free, and you're happy to loosen up the rules around added sugar, and you're definitely trying alcohol then that really only leaves non gluten grains - your safest bet from those would be white rice, and it'd probably make eating out a bit easier.

Sugar doesn't necessarily have it's own day on the reintro process because it's unlikely to effect you physically - it may however effect you psychologically in that it may ignite cravings and leaving you wanting more (& more) sugar. Alcohol could effect you both physically & psychologically and in turn effect your food choices so IMHO it warrants it's own day - or days depending on what drinks you'd like to try out.

Your reintroduction is unique to you. We can help to guide you through the 30 days, but ultimately no-one but you can figure out which foods work for you & which don't - you're in the best position now to figure that out - don't muddy the waters,

Thank you!  This guidance is very helpful.  It clarifies things a bit for me.  I am not going to go wild on drinks, just will be having wine with an evening meal.  I do plan to continue keeping a food diary way beyond the 30 days so that I can figure out exactly what does and does not work for me.  I really appreciate this!  One question:  If I relax on grains, why should it specifically be white rice?   Also does each non-gluten grain require three days between each introduction?  

You said it very well, Robin. Understood and appreciated.

I'm speaking in general about going beyond 30 days, i.e. 50 days or 90 days.  Looking back, I used to think it was a badge of honor to go well beyond 30 days. Our signatures reflected those supernatural feats....Whole 120 days,  Whole 400 days.  

I deleted that off my signature because for me,  it was turning the Whole 30 into a competition.  Those who can go the longest wins. As a newbie, that really confused me.  I also think for some of us,  it turns the Whole 30 into a dieting mindset.

Not so much anymore but those who went the longest usually didn't believe a reintro was even necessary.  I observed that they fell right back into old patterns and many regained every single pound, rapidly.  Never to be heard from again.  

So I regrouped, reread ISWF and stayed in my own lane.  Not adding to or taking away from...letting the merits of how the Whole 30 was originally designed stand.  No more. No less.   

30 Days.  Boom.  Reintro.  Done.  Creating your own positive food management plan and truly letting that change your life in unexpected ways. 

You can do x3 different non gluten grains in one day - one at each meal. That said many people like to break down their reintros a little further so that they get specific results about individual foods. If I'd have done three in one day for instance I'd not have known that it was corn specifically that completely floors me, whilst steel cut oats & white rice are safe - I just choose not to eat them.

IME white rice is the least likely of all grains to be problematic - it's one of the least allergenic foods, and often better tolerated than brown rice in those who are sensitive because it's the bran & the husk (which are removed to create white rice) which irritate the gut.

37 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

You said it very well, Robin. Understood and appreciated.

I'm speaking in general about going beyond 30 days, i.e. 50 days or 90 days.  Looking back, I used to think it was a badge of honor to go well beyond 30 days. Our signatures reflected those supernatural feats....Whole 120 days,  Whole 400 days.  

I deleted that off my signature because for me,  it was turning the Whole 30 into a competition.  Those who can go the longest wins. As a newbie, that really confused me.  I also think for some of us,  it turns the Whole 30 into a dieting mindset.

Not so much anymore but those who went the longest usually didn't believe a reintro was even necessary.  I observed that they fell right back into old patterns and many regained every single pound, rapidly.  Never to be heard from again.  

So I regrouped, reread ISWF and stayed in my own lane.  Not adding to or taking away from...letting the merits of how the Whole 30 was originally designed stand.  No more. No less.   

30 Days.  Boom.  Reintro.  Done.  Creating your own positive food management plan and truly letting that change your life in unexpected ways. 

Ah yes!  I can see why that would become like a competition.  I am probably the least competive person in the world!  My plan is to actually live mostly Whole30ish as described in ISWF, not Whole30 and a number forever.  I was so relieved to find that I would not have to make this a Whole365!   I am only going beyond 30 days for a few of the food categories that I feel might be aggravating some of my symptoms so I will wait to reintroduce.  Not sure how long that will be.  This will be a lifestyle change because I do not want to go back to how I was feeling prior to this.  I totally get what the program is designed for and that is actually why I found that it was so easy to commit to!  

21 hours ago, jmcbn said:

You can do x3 different non gluten grains in one day - one at each meal. That said many people like to break down their reintros a little further so that they get specific results about individual foods. If I'd have done three in one day for instance I'd not have known that it was corn specifically that completely floors me, whilst steel cut oats & white rice are safe - I just choose not to eat them.

IME white rice is the least likely of all grains to be problematic - it's one of the least allergenic foods, and often better tolerated than brown rice in those who are sensitive because it's the bran & the husk (which are removed to create white rice) which irritate the gut.

Thank you!  This information is very helpful.  I was unsure of how to break down the re-intros of specific items within a group of foods.  Since we have narrowed it down for me to start off with non-gluten grains, could I potentially do a new one each day, rather than all in one day?  Or should I leave 2-3 days in between?  I just re-read Chapters 19 & 20 in ISWF.  It says that some foods can take up to a week before any negative symptoms can appear.  I really want to do this in the most effective way possible.  I am currently researching the menus of the restaurants that we will be visiting during weekend away.  I am also planning what w30 compliant foods that I can bring with me that I can add to the meals/salads that will make them more interesting!

59 minutes ago, Robin R. said:

Thank you!  This information is very helpful.  I was unsure of how to break down the re-intros of specific items within a group of foods.  Since we have narrowed it down for me to start off with non-gluten grains, could I potentially do a new one each day, rather than all in one day?  Or should I leave 2-3 days in between?  I just re-read Chapters 19 & 20 in ISWF.  It says that some foods can take up to a week before any negative symptoms can appear.  I really want to do this in the most effective way possible.  I am currently researching the menus of the restaurants that we will be visiting during weekend away.  I am also planning what w30 compliant foods that I can bring with me that I can add to the meals/salads that will make them more interesting!

Even if you do just one non gluten grain, I strongly recommend you follow the protocol of a strict 2-3 days of Whole30 in between and more if you have symptoms. And don't repeat the food until your reintroductions. You need time to see if there's a reaction and you don't want to confuse things by having a reaction to the accumulation of foods. This is your experiment of one and it's worth the time to get accurate results. 

Thank you.  That makes sense to me.  Although what does this mean?   "And don't repeat the food until your reintroductions."  I am guessing I try one food, wait 2-3 days without it, then try another type of non-gluten grain, but not again until 2-3 days after that.  Let's say I have a glass of wine Wednesday I can't have it again until Friday or Saturday.  On that day I can have a non-gluten grain, let's say it is white rice.  I have that rice on Saturday but not again until Monday or Tuesday?  On Monday or Tuesday I could add in other test food?  Much appreciation!

Ok, guys I am on day 4 of my restart so really 12 days in for the breakfast meal.  I can't left over beef, salmon for breakfast.  I am REALLY sick of eggs and have even tried chicken sausage, but do it with eggs.  I was never a really poor eater.  I miss my oatmeal and plain greek yogurt for breakfast.  I always had protein with a carb for breakfast and even though I am  feeling fuller longer I am  sooooooo sick of eggs!!!  help!!! 

3 hours ago, Robin R. said:

Thank you.  That makes sense to me.  Although what does this mean?   "And don't repeat the food until your reintroductions."  I am guessing I try one food, wait 2-3 days without it, then try another type of non-gluten grain, but not again until 2-3 days after that.  Let's say I have a glass of wine Wednesday I can't have it again until Friday or Saturday.  On that day I can have a non-gluten grain, let's say it is white rice.  I have that rice on Saturday but not again until Monday or Tuesday?  On Monday or Tuesday I could add in other test food?  Much appreciation!

Sorry, meant to say, "Don't repeat any reintroduced food until your reintroductions are complete." :-)

I commonly see someone determined to "reintroduce" at the beginning of their reintroduction period and then plan to keep eating it periodically during reintroductions. This will skew your reintroduction data. 

So reintroduce white rice. Then that's it for white rice until all your reintroductions are complete.

Alcohol is tricky. It doesn't technically have it's own reintroduction but it can skew things both physically and psychologically. If I drank, which I don't, I'd reintroduce alcohol last, not first. 

15 minutes ago, marathonbroad said:

Ok, guys I am on day 4 of my restart so really 12 days in for the breakfast meal.  I can't left over beef, salmon for breakfast.  I am REALLY sick of eggs and have even tried chicken sausage, but do it with eggs.  I was never a really poor eater.  I miss my oatmeal and plain greek yogurt for breakfast.  I always had protein with a carb for breakfast and even though I am  feeling fuller longer I am  sooooooo sick of eggs!!!  help!!! 

It isn't really breakfast. It's Meal 1. It's only 30 days and anyone can go without yogurt and oatmeal for 30 days. B)

Find a protein you really like (for me, it was compliant hot dogs and mustard) and eat that for Meal 1. Part of Whole30 is questioning our assumptions about what we can and cannot eat and expanding the possibilities.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, marathonbroad said:

A lot of the breakfast stuff is mental -- you have an idea that breakfast foods have to be certain things. They really don't, and if you keep trying different things, you will get used to having different things.

Try something like Pad Thai, Egg Foo Yong, Elvis Burger, a creamy soup like this one with some leftover diced or shredded chicken or other protein mixed in.  Here's a whole thread of non-egg breakfasts people have actually eaten, here's some eggless breakfasts from the Whole30 Recipes feed, or google Whole30 no egg breakfast for even more.

1 hour ago, ShannonM816 said:

A lot of the breakfast stuff is mental -- you have an idea that breakfast foods have to be certain things. They really don't, and if you keep trying different things, you will get used to having different things.

Try something like Pad Thai, Egg Foo Yong, Elvis Burger, a creamy soup like this one with some leftover diced or shredded chicken or other protein mixed in.  Here's a whole thread of non-egg breakfasts people have actually eaten, here's some eggless breakfasts from the Whole30 Recipes feed, or google Whole30 no egg breakfast for even more.

I am confused about why this is on my post about reintroducing foods.  Can it please be moved?  Thank you!

1 hour ago, marathonbroad said:

I believe this was misposted on my topic. Can this be moved?  Also you can start your own topic I believe, but not in this section as this is in the Reintroduction section. Thank you!

1 hour ago, marathonbroad said:

2 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Sorry, meant to say, "Don't repeat any reintroduced food until your reintroductions are complete." :-)

I commonly see someone determined to "reintroduce" at the beginning of their reintroduction period and then plan to keep eating it periodically during reintroductions. This will skew your reintroduction data. 

So reintroduce white rice. Then that's it for white rice until all your reintroductions are complete.

Alcohol is tricky. It doesn't technically have it's own reintroduction but it can skew things both physically and psychologically. If I drank, which I don't, I'd reintroduce alcohol last, not first. 

Okay, I am getting seriously confused here.  I just re-read (again!) the reintroduction schedule in both ISWF and the Whole30 cookbook.  It actually says to try one food group, then back to the Whole30, wait a few days before trying another from another food group.  But no where does it say that I cannot eat that first reintroduced food again until I am completely done with reintroductions.  I am NOT in a big hurry to re-introduce all of the foods at all.  As a matter of fact I wanted to wait on the gluten, soy, dairy.   I am getting messages that range from just wait until you want to have that particular food to reintroduce to the other end which is take each food separately a few days apart or you will not be able to figure out what you might have a response to.  Meh.  

Also in both books, it actually recommends starting first with the wine if that is what you miss most.  I drink wine as a part of a meal and I like the way it accentuates the flavor of food.  A glass of wine can also be celebratory for me.  I do not drink alcohol to get drunk so I would say I have a healthy relationship with it.  I was going to have a glass of wine with my dinner on Wednesday to celebrate finishing the W30 successfully. Also we will be away that weekend celebrating our 28th wedding anniversary.  So yes, I plan to have to be celebrating with a glass of wine or champagne.  

What I am taking from this so far is this:

1) I will start with wine on Weds. and will have it again on our anniversary which is Saturday.

2)  I will not be concerned about added sugars while I am dining out.

3) I will do my research ahead of time and figure out what I can have at the restaurants.  I may try to introduce a form of a non-gluten grain (it has been suggested I start with white rice).  I will only have that once and see how I feel.  

That should at least get me through the weekend!

6 minutes ago, Robin R. said:

Okay, I am getting seriously confused here.  I just re-read (again!) the reintroduction schedule in both ISWF and the Whole30 cookbook.  It actually says to try one food group, then back to the Whole30, wait a few days before trying another from another food group.  But no where does it say that I cannot eat that first reintroduced food again until I am completely done with reintroductions.  That should at least get me through the weekend!

After  you have reintroduced a food, you do NOT eat it on any subsequent days during your reintroductions. That's reintroduction 101 and I'm confident a moderator can clarify this as I've read it in many discussions here on the forums. As said in the Whole30 book: "Plus, because the schedule is very structured, you’ll have a clear method of reevaluating these foods without the effects of one food group conflicting with another. Finally, because you have the benefit of knowing exactly when you’ll be reintroducing these foods, you can structure things such that any negative side effects won’t completely ruin your life." You simply cannot accurately evaluate the effects of a reintroduced food if you are continuing to eat another reintroduced food.

Hartwig, Melissa; Hartwig, Dallas (2015-04-21). The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom (Kindle Locations 1311-1313). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. 

Alcohol, as I've noted, is in a class by itself so you can make your own decisions about that. Just be aware of the potential pitfalls. 

And you can reintroduce in any order you wish. The examples given are just that, examples. 

1 hour ago, ArtFossil said:

After  you have reintroduced a food, you do NOT eat it on any subsequent days during your reintroductions. That's reintroduction 101 and I'm confident a moderator can clarify this as I've read it in many discussions here on the forums. As said in the Whole30 book: "Plus, because the schedule is very structured, you’ll have a clear method of reevaluating these foods without the effects of one food group conflicting with another. Finally, because you have the benefit of knowing exactly when you’ll be reintroducing these foods, you can structure things such that any negative side effects won’t completely ruin your life." You simply cannot accurately evaluate the effects of a reintroduced food if you are continuing to eat another reintroduced food.

Hartwig, Melissa; Hartwig, Dallas (2015-04-21). The Whole30: The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom (Kindle Locations 1311-1313). Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. Kindle Edition. 

Alcohol, as I've noted, is in a class by itself so you can make your own decisions about that. Just be aware of the potential pitfalls. 

And you can reintroduce in any order you wish. The examples given are just that, examples. 

Okay, it just clicked for me.  I just re-read the Fast Track Reintroductions and what made more sense to me in the sample timeline were the key words "Evaluate (insert food group here) while keeping the rest of the your diet W30 compliant".  Therefore if I was doing Fast Track I would not eat the first reintroduced food until I had gone through the entire 10 or 13 day cycle.  However since I am planning to stay gluten, dairy and soy-free for as long as possible, I will be taking the more conservative approach and doing the Slow Roll Reintroduction.  So the next question is: How long do I need to wait before I can add that reintroduced food in my diet if I have no negative response to it and I want to have it again? 

MeadowLily suggested above that I "take the bull by the horns and do the classic intro" after 30 days, but since I want to live Whole30ish for the rest of my life, I want to do the Slow Roll introductions.   Since I will be eating five meals out this coming weekend, I am just trying to figure out what I might want to reintroduce during that weekend.  there.

And yes, I do understand that the order of each reintroduced food is as unique as the person doing it.  

Thank you very much.

I am now rereading  the Whole30 Reintroduction FAQ on Page132 of The Whole30.  There is a question that says "Do I have to reintroduce food groups in the order you've outlined?"  The answer is:  "You don't have to, but we recommend it.  We've rearranged your reintroduction food groups in the order of the least likely to be problematic to most likely."  This is another reason I chose wine first.  No worries, I will carefully evaluate how I feel both physically and psychologically after I indulge.

Archived