September 1st Start Date for First Whole30 Challenge

ashleeeyyy88

Good morning,

Does anybody else miss their scale??? Does anybody else look at their body and think, "I wonder if my waist or hips have gone down any???" Just curious.

I'm somewhat achy but otherwise doing well. Robin, I'm happy to hear your stiffness is subsiding - YAY!

I dreamed last night that someone gave me a petit for and I ate about 3 bites before panicking and thinking, "OH NO!! I have to start over again!" If there is one thing I do not want to do is start over.

Have a great Sunday and a good Day 4, everyone.

T:)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dreams! Every night this week I have had very vivid dreams, strange ones too. Its almost dinner time here In Namibia, today has gone well no nausea today thankfully. And yes Teddie! I miss the scale a lot. I would step on it every time I used the restroom. I just finished some meal prep for the week, including my first batch of mayo. I felt like a chef, or a witch, when it emulsified. Also roasted carrots are amazing.

Day 4 is almost over! It's been a great day. I feel great...a little lighter on my feet and definitely less bloated. We were challenged today with some travel to a soccer game and lunch out with our three college-aged nieces and nephew. I'll admit that our no-bun burger looked kind of sad but it tasted great and filled us up. Fruit, nuts and water for the long car ride made it a success. This definitely takes more preparation.  I'm proud of our commitment so far. I just booked my hubby a massage for later this week as a treat for his progress so far. 

Hey guys~ my name's Vivi.  I'm 27 and live in South Florida B) I started on September 1st as well and am hoping to do at least 30 days if not more.  So far everything's been fantastic, no cravings, I haven't been snacking, and I haven't been hungry between meals.  I really hope it continues to be this easy and I hope all is going well for the rest of you! <3

7 minutes ago, xxitsvivibaby said:

Hey guys~ my name's Vivi.  I'm 27 and live in South Florida B) I started on September 1st as well and am hoping to do at least 30 days if not more.  So far everything's been fantastic, no cravings, I haven't been snacking, and I haven't been hungry between meals.  I really hope it continues to be this easy and I hope all is going well for the rest of you! <3

Welcome xxitsvivibaby!

Well day 4 was a lot better than day three. A little bit of a headache today and got really lethargic about mid day. I was finding myself winded just walking up the stairs.

Had a knockout dinner though! Hubby and I went to the market and got a beef brisket, did up a nice spice rub, then smoked it on the charcoal BBQ. We rolled the slices into some lettuce wraps with some homemade guacamole and grilled portobello mushrooms and had that alongside a couple baked potatoes with ghee and side salad. Best Whole30 meal to date.

I was trying to explain to the in-laws about the Whole30 and how it's really restrictive and whatnot. Then they come over for dinner and this is what we're eating. They thought I was lying! Lol

Congrats everybody! We've made it to day five! 

Since I've been having energy problems about midday during the last few days, I decided to make a nice, big breakfast.

Highly recommend baking eggs in an avocado, so delicious! I had these along with a few pieces of baked butcher bacon, and a microwaved potato with some ghee, hubby's homemade roasted garlic salt and some fresh garden chives.

Anybody have any good recipes that they've tried for the Whole30?

image.jpg

Day 5! So exciting! Time seems to be flying by~  I only hope it lasts :lol: Last night I made mine and my boyfriend's (who isn't partaking on this journey with me much to my dismay) favorite dinner thus far: the banger sausage patties with sweet potato mash and caramelized onions, so good!  If you haven't tried it yet I highly suggest it :D Plus it's super easy (you can find it in the Whole 30 book).  Have you guys had success with Whole 30 recipes or are you just winging it with compliant ingredients?

Day 5 and my headache is finally subsiding. The last 2 days were the worst. My boyfriend and I had a dinner date with some frI ends and we had a GREAT time while still following whole30. We played games, had some flavored sparkling water on the blrocks, and cooked some steak, mashed potatoes, and broccoli togethere. We even roasted some garlic kale for an appetizer. One of my friends was more skeptical about my "diet" but he definitely understands it much more now.

I've been watching a documentary today called "Food Matters." I haven't watched the whole thing but it adds more motivation since the video focuses on the healing power of real, good, nutritious food (especially relating it to disease and cures). 

Ashleeeyyy, one of my favorite recipes (in part because of how easy it is) is curry cauliflower rice with shrimp. Cook some diced onion in coconut oil (or ghee depending on the flavor you want)  add rice cauliflower (I buy it pre-riced), pour in 1 can of coconut milk, add curry powder, fish sauce, paprika, and some chili flakes, and then add the shrimp. You can even add green beans with the onions if you wanted. It took me less than half an hour to prep and cook and a delicious savory meal! Sorry I don't have measurement - I play this 9n by hear (and taste!).

I've mostly been winging it with compliant ingredients. I'm trying to wait to use the book recipes for when I'm in a rut and need to shake things up a little bit. The bangers and sweet potato mash is definitely on my list though! And I was thinking of making pesto chicken tonight and trying it over the cauliflower rice. I have to say, I love how creative the Whole 30 challenge is making me!

Hi everyone, 

I have been so busy cooking and reading that I am just now getting us into the group.  I have enjoyed reading all your posts.

My husband and I also began our whole30 on Sept. 1 and are excited to be part of the group.  We are older than most I see have posted their ages.  My husband is 68 and I am 63.  My husband deals with extensive health issues and we both are over weight.  We are determined and excited to see how changing our eating habits will make a difference in how we feel.  We have known for some time that we need to change the way we eat and when we saw the whole30 we both knew that this was something we need to do.

So far I have felt pretty good for the most part.  Yesterday, day 4 was the worst for us.  My husband felt sick and I also suffered some stomach distress and some fatigue, but nothing like his.  Today we both feel pretty good so far.  We are enjoying the meals.  I decided to try to follow the 7 day plan to make it easier to get going.  We change it up some but it has made these first few days easier.

I can relate to missing the scale.  I had to push it way under the bed to get it out of sight or I would have stepped on it for sure.  I was also wondering if my pants fit better yesterday, lol.  I doubt it was true, but it was a fun thought.

We are enjoying the journey and are happy to be a part of group.  Stay strong everybody.  We can do this!

Oh, we live in Montana

Hi! I'm Jennie. I'm from SC. I'm 50 and I started today vs. tomorrow. This will be my first time. But, last week I detoxed myself off  Starbucks, stevia, big red gum, flavored waters and diet coke. I knew I had a lot of BAD habits to get rid of and I didn't want to embark on all of them at once. I'm very excited! One thing I already realized from last week, buy a small bottle of mouthwash and keep it in your purse. I've always relied on gum to freshen up my breath, but now you can't reach for that. I'm doing this because I'm sick of all the stomach issues I have. I'm allergic to soy, gluten and dairy. It is a never ending battle. Every time I'm exposed to allergens my stomach bloats and the inflammation process starts all over again. I also have a leaky gut, boderline diabetic my A1C is 5.9. I turned 50 this past year and my whole body changed. I started going through Menopause and I have Adrenal Fatigue. I'm just ready to take back control in my life. The reason my user name is Fabulous at 50 is because that is what I want to be!

I'm so glad to hear from new Whole30 posters!  Today was the first day I woke up not feeling completely right. I slept horribly and had weird dreams. Luckily it's a holiday so I was able to rest a little today and meal prep for the week ahead. My two kids came home from a weekend lake trip today with tons of questions about the program (and how it's going to impact them). Overall they are supportive. I challenged each of them to give up sugar. My son (8) said "challenge rejected" but my daughter (10) said "challenge accepted". We will see how that goes. She reminded me that she gave up chocolate for lent but I reminded her that she still ate lots of other sweets!

I made a pork roast in Apple Cider Vinegar yesterday and it was good. Tangy, not sweet. My cauliflower mash was edible, but not particularly good. Right now I have chicken fingers (almond meal, coconut flour) and roasted potatoes in the oven. It smells good! I google most recipes but improvise with ingredients on hand. I love the avacado egg recipe shared on here!

Hi, my name's Kimberly and I started on 9/1. I'm 50 (argh!) and very physically active. So almost through day 6 with all of you. I've been living on chicken breast, avocado, potatoes, nuts and -- my personal fav -- egg white & arugula omelettes cooked in ghee. The arugula is tasty but doesn't produce as much water as spinach. I also made some homemade beef bone broth to start every lunch and dinner which has been very satisfying, and would highly recommend it. Not really hungry, except that I'm a competitive tennis player and have bonked a bit during matches. The compliant lara bars have helped some when I bonk and can't get to food fast enough. One day had a compliant veggie/fruit smoothie post-workout and without the protein powder I used to put in it it was just basically useless. Biggest differences so far are skin, under eye circles are dissipating, IBS symptoms are subsiding, sleeping loads better, and a bit faster and lighter during exercise. Maybe my shirts are a little looser. Dunno how I'll make it through all 30 days, but am interested to see if there's a difference.

Good luck to all!

Hi, Everyone,

Welcome Jael, Vivi, Kimberly, Jennie, and it's good hear from the rest of you as well. Jael, you and your hubby are not the only oldies but goodies :) as Ron and I definitely qualify. Fortunately, our health is pretty good, but I've been working on diet/food/ paleo for a year or two now. I think you will find you are feeling much better by the time September is over. I was getting careless and needed to reset my body. Also, the pounds were creeping on.

I have been using some recipes I got from Mark Hyman and Chris Kresser. Both are Paleo People. Tonight, though I tried the Chicken Chowder from Whole30 which was good. I've noticed I have a ton of veggies in our frig and hope we can eat them all before they spoil!

Happy end of Day 5. To quote Yoda from Star Wars, "Do or do not - There is No Try!"

Welcome everyone!! We've just about survived Labor Day Weekend. I know there were a few temptations for me but finding a healthy alternative actually made me even more motivated and feeling good about my decisions. I've also started a 45 day challenge in my kickboxing class because I really wanted to make a change in my diet and physically as well - I hope the tired phase of Whole30 doesn't knock me out too much though.

I just tried the chili recipe in the Whole30 book and it was delicious! I cooked it in the crockpot and doubled the recipe - it actually looks like it'll last a few days for me and my boyfriend. I also highly suggest the Chicken Cacciatore (also from the book) with mashed potatoes if you need the carbs for energy and such. It was AMAZING. I'll be making it again before the 30 days are up. Other recipes have been coming from Pinterest but I'm excited to look into the ones mentioned in this forum too!

Hope you all have a GREAT night! Sweet dreams ;)

9 hours ago, kimbomama said:

I've been living on chicken breast, avocado, potatoes, nuts and -- my personal fav -- egg white & arugula omelettes cooked in ghee. The arugula is tasty but doesn't produce as much water as spinach. I also made some homemade beef bone broth to start every lunch and dinner which has been very satisfying, and would highly recommend it. Not really hungry, except that I'm a competitive tennis player and have bonked a bit during matches. The compliant lara bars have helped some when I bonk and can't get to food fast enough. One day had a compliant veggie/fruit smoothie post-workout and without the protein powder I used to put in it it was just basically useless.

Hey there and welcome to Whole30 :)

Just a few pointers..... Go easy on the nuts - they can be pretty hard on the digestive system, and if you are prone to IBS symptoms will likely be problematic for you if eaten more often than say once every other day... Eat the whole egg - the yolk is where the much needed fat & nutrients are at... The larabars are for emergency use only - postWO would not be an emergency so you need to knock those on the head or you'll prevent your body from switching to fat burning as they pack quite the sugar punch (they also contain more nuts).... For your work-outs, have you been following the recommendations for pre & postWO meals? these will stop you from hitting a wall - protain & fat for pre, and some lean protein & a starchy veg for post - you may find your stamina suffers a little in the first two weeks but you should come back stronger once your body has adjusted... The smoothies really are not recommended - they also pack a fairly large sugar punch so you'll get a spike in energy followed by a crash, plus your body doesn't recognise liquid food in the same way that it does solids so you're likely to be hungrier sooner...

Please don't feel like I'm picking on you here - I'm just trying to ensure you get the most bang for your buck as early in the game as possible, especially considering you're fairly active!

Keep up the good work everyone!

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:50 AM, Teddie said:

Good morning,

Does anybody else miss their scale??? Does anybody else look at their body and think, "I wonder if my waist or hips have gone down any???" Just curious.

I'm somewhat achy but otherwise doing well. Robin, I'm happy to hear your stiffness is subsiding - YAY!

I dreamed last night that someone gave me a petit for and I ate about 3 bites before panicking and thinking, "OH NO!! I have to start over again!" If there is one thing I do not want to do is start over.

Have a great Sunday and a good Day 4, everyone.

T, I had a dream I did the same thing with a can of coke. I was eating dinner with the family, talking, laughing, I  grabbed the can of coke in front of me. I drank a few big gulps. I panicked so, it woke me up. You know we mean business!

Hope everyone made it though the holiday. Sure was a challenge for me. I had to work. We had a feast.  4 foot table filled with cupcakes, chocolate and amazing dessert creations.  6 foot table filled with pasta, cheese filled this and sour cream and mayo that and so much more.

Thank you for being here with me. You may not realize this but your support holds me accountable and I appreciate it. 

Sincerely, Robin.

13 hours ago, Fabulous@50 said:

Hi! I'm Jennie. I'm from SC. I'm 50 and I started today vs. tomorrow. This will be my first time. But, last week I detoxed myself off  Starbucks, stevia, big red gum, flavored waters and diet coke. I knew I had a lot of BAD habits to get rid of and I didn't want to embark on all of them at once. I'm very excited! One thing I already realized from last week, buy a small bottle of mouthwash and keep it in your purse. I've always relied on gum to freshen up my breath, but now you can't reach for that. I'm doing this because I'm sick of all the stomach issues I have. I'm allergic to soy, gluten and dairy. It is a never ending battle. Every time I'm exposed to allergens my stomach bloats and the inflammation process starts all over again. I also have a leaky gut, boderline diabetic my A1C is 5.9. I turned 50 this past year and my whole body changed. I started going through Menopause and I have Adrenal Fatigue. I'm just ready to take back control in my life. The reason my user name is Fabulous at 50 is because that is what I want to be!

Welcome Jennie, I am on day 6. I can feel and see the positive results already. The fact that you are doing this for yourself says to me, You are already fabulous!  hang in there. You'll feel better soon!  Robin.

Day 6...yay!! The vivid, strange dreams began for me last night.  I dreamed I was a mermaid and it was so realistic!  At least I don't recall dreaming at night about food just yet (maybe a little day dreaming though).  

I feel like today is a back to reality day for me with carpool lines, a full day of work, cross country and soccer practices.  It's a good thing I was rushing this morning while making the kids' lunches so that I didn't have too much time to linger over their bread.  The upside is that they were super excited to see the fresh fruit I had on hand to throw in there. I honestly feel like I spent most of the weekend in my kitchen either cooking or doing dishes, but the meal prep and planning ahead is probably the most important part of making Whole30 successful.  We have plenty of leftovers for dinner tonight for all five kids (my two and my three step-children) and I plan to make a breakfast casserole for tomorrow morning that I found online with sausage and sweet potatoes.  I'm sort of getting tired of eggs and my friend told me that it is a good idea to re-think what is breakfast food so I'm also going to cook some salmon tonight to have on hand as well.

I just looked at my work calendar to see if I have any challenges this week.  I have one lunch with a friend who works in my building so I suggested that we each bring something and eat together in my conference room.  A business lunch Thursday might be a little tricky but I'm going to try to find a place nearby with a salad that should work.  Unfortunately, life cannot stop for my special diet!  And if I am going to be successful after September 30 in keeping up with this healthy lifestyle, I will need to learn to have willpower when ordering out!

Good luck today everyone!

Hi, Everyone,

Another good day. Went to a Yoga class and that helped my aches :) . I still notice my muffin top when I sit, though, and I'm wondering when it will go away! It's been really hard not to grab my measuring tape just to see if it's gone down a little...

jmcbn - Thank you so much for the info on nuts.  Nuts!! I've been munching on them and my elimination system is not happy. Now I know why. I never would have thought they could be a problem .

Run funky, it sounds like you have your hands full. Robin, you're helping us be accountable, too. Like you, I really appreciate this group. Britt - Kickboxing?1 Ah, youth!!

I'm going to go click my "I made it" button for Day 6. Ron says we are now 1/5th of the way through. :) 

Best,

Hi, everyone,

Just checking in to see how you all are doing. It was a very trying day with just the stuff one goes through but I managed to stay on the program. How is everyone???

For the first time I noticed that my hips don't hurt when I sleep at night; and I actually felt like I had energy this morning :) !!  

Hope you all are starting to experience some of the benefits.

Week 1 is over tonight! For everyone doubting that 30 days will go by fast (myself included) I think they most definitely will! I can't say I've noticed a ton of changes yet... Though I didn't think I would this quickly. I am pleasantly surprised how little I miss my morning coffee and that I've had no sugar cravings (my biggest weakness) yet. Time will tell but I remind myself these things won't be extinct when my 30 days are up. I was surprised, though, that some of you seem to be expecting to see physical changes already... It's only been 7 days! While you may see some small changes it's going to take a bit more time than 7 days~ so just relax and go with it! Hope everyone is doing well! :D

Archived