Whole30 and Cake Club??

Rose885

Ok so I started Whole30 today and so far so good. However... I looked at my calender and realised that I've agreed to go to a cake club next Wednesday. There's a theme and everyone bakes a cake, brings it along and we all taste, chat and have drinks. I'm not sure how to handle sticking to Whole30! It will be my first time at the club so I don't know anyone, I'm going to look like a complete weirdo and also rude if I don't eat any cake! I wanted to join the club to make some new friends so don't want to ostracise myself.

Any advice on what to do, should I just be honest and explain about the diet, should I lie or should I not go all together?

I guess it really depends on what you want to do. You could go along and say I'm on a diet and can't eat any just now but people will be sure to try to persuadeyou to have 'just a bit' which when you're trying to make a first impression can be very hard to resist. You could lie and say you've had an upset tummy and can't face any just now.

However the main thing I'd be worried about is that this presupposes that when your W30 is over, you'll be happy to jump straight back into eating cake, containing, sugar, dairy, gluten, possibly artificial flavours or colouring etc. This looks, to me, as if W30 is being seen as a quick fix rather than a change of life.

Obviously only you can decide what you really want. I can totally understand wanting to make new friends but, if it were me, I'd be looking for a club that didn't revolve round something I really don't want to go back to eating. Good luck whatever you decide

However the main thing I'd be worried about is that this presupposes that when your W30 is over, you'll be happy to jump straight back into eating cake, containing, sugar, dairy, gluten, possibly artificial flavours or colouring etc. This looks, to me, as if W30 is being seen as a quick fix rather than a change of life.

I have to agree, that joining a club does not seem to tie well with a paleo lifestyle which if the w30 isn't a quikc-fix I assume you want to pursue after your w30.

There are so many other clubs out there to join that aren't focused on 1 unhealthy food item - I'd even prefer a wine-tasting club tbh! Have a look at meetup.com and see what's happening in your area.

Some things to say that aren't a lie, but save you from making lots of explanations:

1) "I am so sorry; I just realized I have a scheduling conflict and won't be able to make it"

2) "I'm going to have to cancel--didn't realize I'm not available* that night. Can I join you for ___________instead?"

3) "I am so sorry I didn't make it, but I was abducted by aliens that evening and I haven't recovered from the probing yet."**

*emotionally available, that is--your heart wouldn't be in it

**you can only say this one if you were actually abducted by aliens.

Ah I know you're right, it's not very bright joining a cake club when overhauling my diet! I'm just a very passionate baker and I love sharing my creations with others. I think I will have to give it a miss this month while doing whole30. I've been following a 80/20 paleo diet for around 3 months now and feeling great but I wanted to try whole30 it see if it it made me feel any different. If it turns out having a slice of cake once a month makes me sick then I will give it up but I don't see sticking to 100% paleo for the rest of my life being entirely manageable! I'm a member of a running club so its not all unhealthy, honest

Alliea I love your suggestions, now how do I arrange an alien abduction??

Good idea to miss this month. I will tell you from experience that cake can derail all of your efforts in less than a minute. I was on day 16 and gave in to eating some cake my neighbors brought over from a bday party. I had the attitude that nothing at all would make me cheat but the cake was calling my name for a few days from our basement freezer. I had an emotional day and one lick of the icing led to two slices eaten and the rest in the garbage disposal! (and me starting over)

Archived