Approved crunchy/dry snacks?


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Hi there, welcome.

Sorry to lead with this, but plantain chips, unless you are baking them yourself, are not compliant. No commercially prepared chip of any kind is permitted. :(

I notice in your subject line you refer to "snacks". We recommend that you eat full meals spaced 4-5 hours apart and completely avoid hand-to-mouth snacking on things like nuts. 

Adding "crunch" to foods is something others have discussed quite a bit. You can google "Whole30 adding crunch" and get quite a few threads of folks discussing this very thing. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

I currently love sugar snap peas. I had them with my tuna salad today. Perfect crunch to add to a meal. 

Once I started eating w30 I stopped needing snacks. If I got hungry between meals or had a later dinner planned (like lunch at 11:30 with my daughter and dinner at 7:00 with friends) I would eat a mini template meal (like a 1/4lb burger patty, guac, and a veggie, usually roasted broccoli) to hold me over. I just completed my w30 so I'm working on reintroducing foods, but still following the template (animal protein, fat, veggies) and it's seriously the best thing. I wake up hungry but I can go longer between meals if I need to without getting hangry or hypoglycemic. A lot of that is due to reading what mods were saying and tweaking fats to help me (although I think I have to say goodbye to avocados and guac for a while. My son doesn't seem to like it but I can still do so many things!)

take moment to rethink your relationship with food and snacking. Are you snacking because you're legit hungry and wouldn't mind eating plain fish and broccoli a couple hours after your last meal? Then tweak your meals to last you longer (often we need more fat than we use) are you snacking because you're bored or its habit? Then find something not food to do instead. Go for a walk, write, call that friend you haven't called but keep meaning to... Drink water. 

If I've learned anything this past month, it's that food is fuel, not a pick me up (sorry chocolate bar I have hiding until I need a quick fix, you'll have to wait) although some whole foods do help mental health (mmm salmon cakes with sweet potatoes!). Food isn't always a cure all but that doesn't mean we shouldn't fuel it with the best stuff we can. And honestly I kept it simple most of the time. Sometimes I did more complicated stuff but usually it was something I would usually make but modified. 

Basically, don't worry about snacks. Eat good healthful meals and your w30 will breeze by (at least mine seemed to!)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys. I should have used a different subject line. I didn't ask about snacking? I'm really just asking what if any foods exist that are dry/crunchy and compliant. My schedule as a student doesn't permit for a meal at lunch so a smaller meal or "snack" , something to hold me over, is what I have time for otherwise I'd go without eating. Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Hi there, welcome.

Sorry to lead with this, but plantain chips, unless you are baking them yourself, are not compliant. No commercially prepared chip of any kind is permitted. :(

I notice in your subject line you refer to "snacks". We recommend that you eat full meals spaced 4-5 hours apart and completely avoid hand-to-mouth snacking on things like nuts. 

Adding "crunch" to foods is something others have discussed quite a bit. You can google "Whole30 adding crunch" and get quite a few threads of folks discussing this very thing. :)

 

I've seen DOZENS of blogs/other sources list TJs Plantain Chips as ok.  Not to mention, Robin, who is an admin, said they were totally ok as long as they fit in your meal template and you weren't eating them outside of that.  Basically if they become a food without breaks, then they stop being compliant.  I'm more inclined to believe Robin, an admin, than a moderator. Is there any way to get Melissa's thoughts on this subject? I honestly think you're going a bit overboard with your response. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible Robin was referring to older rules?

This page says chips are not allowed:

 

Quote

 

Chips: Not if they’re commercially prepared and/or deep fried

While we recognize that potatoes and other veggies are a real food, we also know that eating them in the form of fries and chips has turned them from “produce” into an adulterated commercial “product.” It’s easy to find sweet potato, beet, or vegetable chips that meet the Whole30 ingredient standards. It is not easy, however, to consume those chips in a way that’s true to the spirit of the Whole30. It’s hard to find a suitable place for them in our meal planning template (no, half a bag of “Sweets and Beets” is not an appropriate way to fill your plate with vegetables), and even harder to stop yourself from eating them when the designated serving comes to an end. For most of us, chips are a bonafide food-with-no-brakes, and fall into that deep, dark area of less-healthy foods with technically compliant ingredients. For that reason, we do not allow frying starchy veggies and turning them into chips during your Whole30. (However, if you want to roast some kale until it’s crispy, or thinly slice jicama into a scoop for your guacamole, be our guest.)

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

rhed has posted the official take on the matter for you above.

Were the blogs & other sources official Whole30?

I believe the post from Robin you're referring to was back in 2013. The 'Can I Have...?' would have been updated in 2014 when white potatoes were added to the list of foods allowed on the program.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, fitisthenublack said:

 

I've seen DOZENS of blogs/other sources list TJs Plantain Chips as ok.  Not to mention, Robin, who is an admin, said they were totally ok as long as they fit in your meal template and you weren't eating them outside of that.  Basically if they become a food without breaks, then they stop being compliant.  I'm more inclined to believe Robin, an admin, than a moderator. Is there any way to get Melissa's thoughts on this subject? I honestly think you're going a bit overboard with your response. 

There are a million ways to subvert the goals and the benefits of a Whole30 with "compliant" foods.

But if you want the benefits, you'd be advised to follow the rules AND the recommendations, and eat template meals.

That includes no frying starchy vegetables and turning them into chips. Or buying chips someone else has fried. Or making "pancakes." Or living on Rx bars or Larabars or apple slices with almond butter or consuming quantities of fruit instead of vegetables or . . . .

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderators

You can make your own plantain chips, but  no commercially prepared chips are allowed. If you want chips, you have to work for them in your own kitchen. 

Broadly, you need to face up to your addiction to crunchy snacks and get past it. All crunchy things are less than ideal foods. Even kale chips, although no one will complain if you make your own kale chips. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tom Denham said:

You can make your own plantain chips, but  no commercially prepared chips are allowed. If you want chips, you have to work for them in your own kitchen. 

Broadly, you need to face up to your addiction to crunchy snacks and get past it. All crunchy things are less than ideal foods. Even kale chips, although no one will complain if you make your own kale chips. :)

Its borderline offensive to insinuate that someone has a food addiction because they're asking about crunchy foods. Everyone does Whole 30 for different reasons, please don't make assumptions. The tone of replies in this thread are incredibly offputting for someone who has just started Whole 30.  Adding a smiley face doesn't make it any nicer.  Maybe try to reply to other people without putting your own food issues onto them? Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
33 minutes ago, fitisthenublack said:

Its borderline offensive to insinuate that someone has a food addiction because they're asking about crunchy foods. Everyone does Whole 30 for different reasons, please don't make assumptions. The tone of replies in this thread are incredibly offputting for someone who has just started Whole 30.  Adding a smiley face doesn't make it any nicer.  Maybe try to reply to other people without putting your own food issues onto them? Just a thought.

Enough of this. My original response wasn't "a bit overboard", I was quoting the rules right from the Whole30 website. Tom's comment isn't offensive, it's based on the experience of absolute hoards of people who come to these boards and the things they think they "can't live without". 

We're here to help people and we do that with our own personalities and our own way of typing/writing. If you're finding yourself offended by basic discussions of the rules, you may want to look inside yourself as to why that would be. These are words on a page written by internet strangers about foods that are and are not permitted on a 30 day program. Not worth being offended over. We don't place any judgement or moral value on foods of any sort. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2016 at 10:40 AM, HealthyLifestyle said:

Thanks guys. I should have used a different subject line. I didn't ask about snacking? I'm really just asking what if any foods exist that are dry/crunchy and compliant. My schedule as a student doesn't permit for a meal at lunch so a smaller meal or "snack" , something to hold me over, is what I have time for otherwise I'd go without eating. Thanks! 

It looks like the thread has gotten derailed a bit.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head. Most probably require some sort of insulated bag or box to keep the food fresh.

Vegetables like carrots, celery, broccoli, sugar snap peas. I don't know if you could make some kind of dip for the veggies, because I don't know if dip goes against the spirit of Whole30 or if good dip can be made with Whole30 compliant foods.

Jerky/pemmican (you'd probably have to make it yourself; I don't know of any Whole30 compliant jerky or pemmican). Also it could be crunchy or not, depending on how dried out it is.

You could take a salad perhaps? Eat parts of it as there is time.

Boiled eggs. Not crunchy, but would keep you more filled than veggies, alone.

In Nom Nom Paleo (or some such title; it's a cookbook), there is a recipe in which you essentially make omelettes in a muffin tin. You could do something like that. Again, it isn't crunchy, but it would have enough nutrition to get you through the day.

Wishing you the best of luck with your classes, and success with finding something good to eat during your school day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Saturn said:

It looks like the thread has gotten derailed a bit.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head. Most probably require some sort of insulated bag or box to keep the food fresh.

Vegetables like carrots, celery, broccoli, sugar snap peas. I don't know if you could make some kind of dip for the veggies, because I don't know if dip goes against the spirit of Whole30 or if good dip can be made with Whole30 compliant foods.

Jerky/pemmican (you'd probably have to make it yourself; I don't know of any Whole30 compliant jerky or pemmican). Also it could be crunchy or not, depending on how dried out it is.

You could take a salad perhaps? Eat parts of it as there is time.

Boiled eggs. Not crunchy, but would keep you more filled than veggies, alone.

In Nom Nom Paleo (or some such title; it's a cookbook), there is a recipe in which you essentially make omelettes in a muffin tin. You could do something like that. Again, it isn't crunchy, but it would have enough nutrition to get you through the day.

Wishing you the best of luck with your classes, and success with finding something good to eat during your school day.

Wow! Thanks Saturn. I appreciate you taking the time to actually answer what I asked while adding value to this thread. Thank you also for not going off topic with unsolicited advice or insinuating that I have an addiction to food. It's unlikely that I will post to a forum on here again given the rudeness and inaccuracy of the other posters. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fitisthenublack said:

Its borderline offensive to insinuate that someone has a food addiction because they're asking about crunchy foods. Everyone does Whole 30 for different reasons, please don't make assumptions. The tone of replies in this thread are incredibly offputting for someone who has just started Whole 30.  Adding a smiley face doesn't make it any nicer.  Maybe try to reply to other people without putting your own food issues onto them? Just a thought.

Hi! Thank you for sticking up for me. This was my first and last time visiting a forum on this site. I straight up feel bullied and that most of the replies here were rude and the type of negativity I don't need on my whole 30 journey. This is especially true when whole 30 is supposed to be a huge positive change and forums here are designed to build community not make new members feel bad for being unaware of what is and isn't compliant. After all that is why I asked a question! 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand it either, HealthyLifestyle. I've seen it on other threads I've read. It definitely has the result of pushing new posters away, running away even. That is very sad, especially for a group of people who really need to support and uplift each other through something that can be really, really difficult to accomplish.

 

I hope you have the support you need. If you have a question, you can pm me (not that I'm an expert or anything, but we can maybe bounce ideas back and forth). I took college classes last year (I'm not young. I'm practically a senior citizen, and it was a good experience), so I know how hectic schedules can be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I will confess that I am the type of person Tom was referring to. I loved chips and other dry/crunchy/crispy foods. Before Whole30, I always had to have a bag of potato chips with a sandwich. Eating something soft without something crunchy just didn't seem right -- my family probably embedded this preference in my brain (we also had to end every meal with something sweet, but that's another story).

I could also eat a whole large bag of chips for dinner if there wasn't anything else in the house or I didn't feel like cooking, Before I discovered the Whole30, I switched to buying the chips that make you think you are eating healthier -- the ones made from lentils, veggies, sweet potatoes, popped corn, kale, etc. Having these around resulted in mindless eating.

During my first Whole30 I swapped in nuts to add crunch to my lunches (a particular weak spot for me), but I found them easy to overeat and rough on my stomach. So, I switched to eating an apple with lunch every day (plenty of veggies in addition to the apple, of course).  I didn't used to like apples (it was a texture thing with the skin), and now I eat one almost every day, skin and all!  They are not dry like chips, but they seem to fulfill that need to have something go crunch between your teeth.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Hey all, please note that effective April 1, 2017 all store bought chips are no longer Whole30 compliant. This decision was made with our Whole30ers in mind so that everyone can get the most out of their Whole30 and clear up prior confusion. Best wishes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 9 months later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.