VivaLaMeredith

My first round of Whole30 is starting September 5, 2016. I'm in Canada  and therefore have different stores available to me than the typical US chains like Whole Foods & Target. I hope to use this as a food journal, place to share recipes and compliant items from my grocery shopping trips. 

Here we go!

Friday September 2, 2016: 

I'm a planner by inclination and vocation and have done a LOT of preparation for the Whole30. The planning part is what I like most; anything can happen, I'm getting ready for the 'amazing'. In the past (Weight Watchers, Simply for Life and WW again) I kick butt at the planning stage but when it comes time for implementation I fizzle out and move onto the next exciting thing. It is like there is a disconnect turning dreams into action. How will this be different?  I don't know yet...

Here is what I have done to #planandprepare over the last few weeks. 

1. Listened to ISWF
  2. Purchased and am in the process of reading Whole30
  3. Pre-ordered FFF
  4. Signed up for the daily emails starting Sept 4
  5. Went through EVERY cupboard and my fridge/freezer weeding out non compliant items (spices, baking supplies, canned goods, beverages- literally everything) and packaged it all up and put it in the basement
  6. Dug into locating compliant foods in my city (I'm looking at you Ghee Girls)
  7. Printed a shopping list (following the meal plan for the first week) and went grocery shopping
  8. Ordered some US based products I can't buy locally (LaCroix, Primal Mayo etc)
  9. Started a thread here for my journaling
  10. Connected with inspirational folk on Instagram

What I have left to do.

1. Go through chest freezer in garage. 
  2. Food prep
  3. Finish Whole30 book
  4. Put everything into ACTION!

Did you know that Canada has some of the strictest dairy regulations in the world? As such, the butter we use to make our ghee has NO genetically modified organisms (GMOs), NO hormones, NO antibiotics, has no added salt, no preservatives, no trans fats, no colors or dyes, no MSG, and no flavour enhancers. The one and only ingredient is cream, with absolutely nothing else added to it. 

Furthermore, New Brunswick dairy farmers are leading the way in the humane and proper treatment of dairy cows by adopting a new Canadian Code of Practice for the Care and Handling of Dairy Cattle (the Dairy Code), achieving a progressive new standard for the welfare of dairy cattle in Canada.

12541071_1536928149968832_90142309680865

Did all my initial food prep yesterday and made the most disgusting mayo ever. I read the note about NOT using EVOO after I made the first batch. Oops! In the end I went back to the grocery store and got a more light tasting olive oil. (Pictured below)

I made the following:

-roasted spaghetti squash
-tomato and spinach frititta
- mayo
- ranch dressing
- roasted red pepper sauce
- roasted red pepper mayo
- protein salad (with tuna)

- a huge mess in the kitchen!

I also found two cool avocado slicing tools:
1. The oxo good grips 3 in 1 avocado slicer
2. The kitchen aid gourmet avocado scoop

We'll see which one I like best!

0004179000420_500X500.jpg

avocado_slicer.jpg

31SKlePh9rL._SY300_.jpg

Day 1

m1: Frittata from Whole 30 book, clementine and 1/2 avocado
(brewed a press of zabars coffee with pumpkin spice. frothed some coconut cream with coffee to make it fancy)

m2: Traditional protein salad with tuna & ranch dressing, side of strawberries

m3: Spaghetti Squash (mush), grass fed ground beef and cusina antica arrabbita sauce.

Tea: decaf chai with coconut cream

How I feel: I noticed my face was very flushed at around 2 pm. Drank more water and it seemed to cool down a bit. I was not hungry in between meals and didn't really have any cravings either, energy was normal.  Before bed we did have some decaf chai tea. It was kinda gross, but then again we are used to the Starbucks chai concentrate. Tomorrow night I may try making it on the stovetop with warm coconut milk. My sleep was fine but woke up before my alarm dreaming that I didn't know what I was going to eat today. 

RUGM8480[1].jpg

Love the planning and recording!  I think success with W30 demands a fair amount of planning. After a while, it does become a bit easier. You don't have to think everything through quite as much because you know what you are doing. I'm an also an old WW person and was used to tracking a lot of the time. Lost 20lbs and managed to keep it off.  Now, I plan but don't need to track. A lot of the W30/paleo lifestyle is almost second nature now. I do need a tune up once in a while though  

You are well set to succeed  

Question on a couple of products: Almond Breeze and So Delicious. Are you sure they are complaint?

13 minutes ago, FranE said:

Question on a couple of products: Almond Breeze and So Delicious. Are you sure they are complaint?

For the Almond Breeze, I believe yes it is compliant. I was on the Almond Breeze website and see there is an original formula and a new formula. The Original has carrageenan, but the new one does not. But...now you have me wondering, I'll go back and look. :) I didn't end up buying  So Delicious this time but will remember to check the ingredients again. 

M

Day 2

Meal 1: Frittata, clementine, 1/2 avocado (0800)

Meal 2: Traditional Protein salad in pepper boats, with a sprinkle of slivered almonds. Carrots & fresh green beans dipped in ranch mayo. (1300-1400 )

Meal 3: Roasted Chicken breast w. roasted red pepper sauce, pan fried potatoes and coleslaw w. cashews.  (1800)

How I feel

Fine really. Slept into my normal time and my day proceeded as per usual. Eating breakfast and lunch at my desk isn't ideal, I know this. If I do continue to do this I need to take time away from my computer to eat lunch, otherwise I eat mindlessly. I felt full about halfway  through my lunch portion. I did wait to see if I wanted to stop eating. But in the end I ate it all. I felt really full, not painfully full though, and it carried me all the way to supper. 

Was peckish/kind of hungry when packing up our lunches around 20h. So I munched on some potatoes, ground beef, tuna and coleslaw. In reality I should have put it on a plate to eat it, but I just shoveled it into my mouth. I really felt guilty about this because it felt like a 'snack'. On the other hand I said 'no' to ice cream. This was a huge NSV because today was very humid and we were very hot and I very much like ice cream.

My friend owns the cutest little general store downtown and is going to have kombucha on tap in the next few weeks. I told her I would be a taste tester for her before it goes to market. I may have to give up this privilege should the ingredient snot pass the Whole30 test! 

Tomorrow we are eating out for my co-workers send off to his new job. I think I know what I want but will check the menu again in the morning. 

M

DCOD0329[1].jpg

Day 3

Meal 1: Spaghetti squash with a few leftover hash browns, egg, crumble of ground beef and roasted red pepper mayo

Meal 2: Steak and big salad with roasted red pepper sauce. Handful of almonds

Meal 3: Roast beef, spaghetti squash, carrots & onion, cashews, roasted red pepper sauce

How I feel

Let's talk non scale victory for a second (NSV). I went out to eat today, and stayed (as far as I am aware) 100% compliant-actually 110% compliant! The way the menu was set up was confusing and I could choose a veggie or coleslaw and choice of potato or salad with my steak. I asked for steamed veggies and a baked potato but the veggies were PEAS! (Hello non-compliant!) So I asked if I could sub a salad for peas but she said I'd have to pay extra. It was already going to be a $20 lunch, and on a work day I wasn't interested in beefing up the bill. So in the end I chose just salad (no dressing). In hindsight I should have asked for olives on the side but I suppose they could have been non-compliant too. I covered my salad and steak with roasted red pepper sauce and everyone at the table joked that I should have shared it! My meal didn't have fat, so when I got back to my desk I had a closed handful of raw almonds. 

Ok, let's talk about how my BODY feels. Before lunch I was feeling okay-ish, but weak. Then after lunch I was hit with a raging headache and it lasted a l l l l l  day. I could barely look at the computer screen it hurt so much. At one point I considered going home early, but instead snuck to a bathroom for a few minutes of relief. I came home, cancelled plans with my friend (we were going to go for an hour long hike) and had supper, then a nap. I napped from about 7pm to midnight. Got up took a shower and went back to be only to sleep for another 7 hours. The fact my cycle just started probably contributes to how tired I was because 12 hours of zzzz's is a bit much. 

Day 4

Meal 1: More spaghetti squash (I just can't get rid of it!), Scrambled egg in coconut oil, olives

Meal 2: Coleslaw, shredded chicken, a few cashews & olives

Meal 3: Salmon, fried plantain, spinach salad with ranch dressing (mayo based)

How I Feel

I felt good at work today even though i forgot my trusty water bottle.  I had to drink out of a cheap-o plastic one all day and lost track of how many refills I did so hopefully I got enough in. There were periods of hot flashes today though. This could be because of the humidity. 
When I got home from work I turned into a major B*#$! which isn't good. My partner took it in stride and mostly ignored me. I hate it when he does that. It was like I wanted to fight. He kept his cool though. Phew!

The rest of the evening was fine. I did some knitting and we watched TV. I could not fall asleep tonight and emotions ran high. I started crying in bed because I missed my dog so much (he died on Aug 16), I was so warm, and just wide awake. I took my pillow and slept on the couch. 

The daily emails from Whole30 are really great but tonight after I hit "I made it! I ate clean all day" there was a photo of a monkey sitting in a box of donuts. This made me want donuts! I understand we need to be able to see these foods and say no, but having them put right in my face in a place I am supposed to be getting motivation is just wrong. :( 

On another note, it seems I can't upload photos to the forums anymore. I contacted support yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

script>

7 hours ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Day 4

Meal 1: More spaghetti squash (I just can't get rid of it!), Scrambled egg in coconut oil, olives

Meal 2: Coleslaw, shredded chicken, a few cashews & olives

Meal 3: Salmon, fried plantain, spinach salad with ranch dressing (mayo based)

How I Feel

I felt good at work today even though i forgot my trusty water bottle.  I had to drink out of a cheap-o plastic one all day and lost track of how many refills I did so hopefully I got enough in. There were periods of hot flashes today though. This could be because of the humidity. 
When I got home from work I turned into a major B*#$! which isn't good. My partner took it in stride and mostly ignored me. I hate it when he does that. It was like I wanted to fight. He kept his cool though. Phew!

The rest of the evening was fine. I did some knitting and we watched TV. I could not fall asleep tonight and emotions ran high. I started crying in bed because I missed my dog so much (he died on Aug 16), I was so warm, and just wide awake. I took my pillow and slept on the couch. 

The daily emails from Whole30 are really great but tonight after I hit "I made it! I ate clean all day" there was a photo of a monkey sitting in a box of donuts. This made me want donuts! I understand we need to be able to see these foods and say no, but having them put right in my face in a place I am supposed to be getting motivation is just wrong. :( 

On another note, it seems I can't upload photos to the forums anymore. I contacted support yesterday but haven't heard back yet.

script>

I'm so sorry about your dog.  It really is painful to have your beloved pet die.  

I was so happy to find a compliant sausage in my Sobey's store yesterday! Its Blue Goose Smoked Chicken Sausage. The Spanish flavoured one has no sugar and it's SO good. They have other flavours, just make sure to ensure those other flavours don't have sugar. Since we don't have Aidell's sausage (at least my Costcos and Whole Foods and other stores don't sell it here in Ottawa) and so many people use it in a Whole30, I was excited to find something similar! Check it out! As a plus, Blue Goose products are organic and antibiotic free :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2016 at 11:32 AM, barty90 said:

I was so happy to find a compliant sausage in my Sobey's store yesterday! Its Blue Goose Smoked Chicken Sausage.

Thanks for mentioning this. I often buy their meat when I can't make it to the CSA store. 
I will ask for the sausages next time I'm shopping. :D

On 9/23/2016 at 5:44 PM, Ivylane said:

planning my very first whole30 starting Oct 1st so this really helps thanks 

trying to make a list of stored to get complaint products 

How is it going @lvylane ? I totally slacked off with this journal, but NOT with the Whole30. Today is day 29 and I'm feeling great. :)

Ok, so my daily journal my have sucked, but my Whole30 has not! 

Since I still can't upload photos I'm going to list what I had to eat. here goes. 
(p.s photos of all this can be found here: https://www.instagram.com/vivalameredith/

WEEK 1

Day 1
Meal 1: Omelette from Whole30, clementine, avocado
Meal 2: Traditional protein salad, strawberries, ranch
Meal 3: Spaghetti squash, ground beef, & sauce

Day 2
Meal 1: Omelette from Whole 30, clementine, avocado
Meal 2: Tuna stuffed peppers, carrots and ranch, apple
Meal 3: Roasted chicken, roasted red pepper mayo, pan fried potatoes, coleslaw with cashews

Day 3- HANGOVER HELL
Meal 1: Spaghetti squash, egg, ranch, and ground beef
Meal 2: *lunch at restaurant* : Salad, steak, with my own roasted red pepper sauce
Meal 3: Roast beef, spaghetti squash, carrot & onion, cashew, roasted red pepper sauce

Day 4- 12 RAGE & HOUR NAP
Meal 1: Spaghetti squash, egg, olives, pear
Meal 2: Coleslaw, roasted chicken, olives, cashews
Meal 3: Roasted salmon, spinach salad, ranch, fried plantains. 

Day 5- FEELING GOOD
Meal 1: Spaghetti squash, hard boiled egg, carrot & onion, avocado (this was hard as a rock)  almonds
Meal 2: Spinach salad, spaghetti squash, salmon, fried plantains, ranch
Meal 3: Local Grass fed pork chop, veggie stir-fry, guac

Day 6
Meal 1: 1/2 Apple with almond butter, coconut strips, 3 breakfast sausages, spinach, hard boiled egg
Meal 2: Salad bar, egg, homemade spicy mayo
Meal 3: Local Grass Fed Pork chop, avocado, green beans and stir-fry veggies

Day 7
Meal 1: Spaghetti squash, egg, left over salmon, 1/2 banana, almond butter & raisins (basically eat all the leftovers)
Meal 2: Pan fried potatoes, green beans, olives, 2 compliant hotdogs
Meal 3: Mashed potatoes, sauteed peppers & onion in LOTS of ghee, Jamie oliver sausage, parsley, avocado

WEEK 2

Day 8
Meal 1: Nom Nom Paleo breakfast muffins, pear, avocado
Meal 2: Greek salad with primal kitchen dressing, salmon, la croix
Meal 3: Cashew chicken, red peppers cashews, cauliflower rice, almond butter

Day 9- IMMENSE ENERGY & CHEERFUL
Meal 1: Nom Nom Paleo breakfast muffins, grapes, guac
Meal 2: Cashew chicken, red peppers cashews, cauliflower rice
Meal 3: Zoodles, meatballs & sauce, olives

Day 10- ULTRA PRODUCTIVE
Meal 1: Hard boiled egg, mayo, sugar snap peas, larabar
Meal 2: Zoodles, meatballs & sauce, olives, la croix
Meal 3: Chicken, spicy mayo,roasted carrot & green bean, mashed potato (with ghee), spinach

Day 11
Meal 1: Nom Nom Paleo breakfast muffins, banana, spinach, sugar snap peas, justin's almond butter
Meal 2: Baked haddock with lemon, baked potato, carrot & green beans
Meal 3: Savory short ribs, sauteed onion & pepper with ghee, snap peas, avocado, cukes. 

Day 12- THE KITCHEN AND I WANT TO BREAK UP/LAZY GIRL
Meal 1: Nom Nom Paleo breakfast muffins, avocado, a few grapes, sauteed veggies
Meal 2: Spinach salad, mayo, chicken, almonds
Meal 3: Compliant hot dogs,sliced cuke, orange pepper, salsa & guac

Day 13
Meal 1: Breakfast sausages, spinach, eggs, tomato, banana with justins PB (ate really late, due to Saturday sleep in)
Meal 2: Chomps & larabar
Meal 3: Eggs, breakfast sausages, olives, left over veggies & orange pepper

Day 14- OH HUNGER WHERE ART THOU?
Meal 1: Nom Nom Paleo breakfast muffins, avocado, tomato
Meal 2: Black Kale 'wrap', chicken, salad, greek dressing, la croix
Meal 3: Homemade chicken veggie soup, avocado

WEEK 3

Day 15
Meal 1: Eggs, avocado, pan fried zucchini & onion, clementine
Meal 2: Homemade chicken veggie soup, salad, olives, salad dressing
Meal 3: Un-wrapped cabbage roll, avocado

Day 16
Meal 1: Meatballs, egg, grapes, salad, avocado
Meal 2: Un-wrapped cabbage roll, salad, avocado
Meal 3: Roasted chicken, sweet potato fries (home made), salad & dressing

Day 17
Meal 1: Mushrooms, chomps, hardboiled egg, justins pb
Meal 2: HUGE pita pit salad, avocado, hard boiled egg, salad dressing
Meal 3: Sheperds Pie (Whole30 book), avocado, salad & dressing

Day 18
Meal 1: Egg, avocado, sauteed mushroom & zucchini
Meal 2: Shepherds Pie, olives, salad w. dressing
Meal 3: Shrimp Curry, cauliflower rice

Day 19
Meal 1: Salad, home fries, meatballs
Meal 2: Shrimp Curry, cauliflower rice
Meal 3: Chipolte carnitas, guac, green salsa, mild salsa

Day 20
Meal 1: Eggs, prosciutto, 1/2 passion fruit, cantaloupe, cashews, spinach, basil
Meal 2: Salad cowboys, pork, egg, salad. 
Meal 3: STEAK (OH SO YUMMY), green beans & carrots, and fries ( I know, I know, I know)
**This was a meal I ate out and did my due diligence in asking lots of questions and making the right decisions. After I ate I saw the chef making a steak just like mine, and that he sprayed cooking oil on it before putting on the grill. My heart jumped, because perhaps it had soy in it. I did not consider a re-start because I know I did everything possible to stay compliant while eating out. **

Day 21
Meal 1: Romaine lettuce, hard boiled egg, fresh fruit cup, avocado
Meal 2: Chipolte carnitas, guac, green salsa, mild salsa
Meal 3: Shepherds pie, mushrooms, potato discs, avocado

WEEK 4- Water intake is lacking

Day 22
Meal 1: Eggs, sugar snap peas, avocado
Meal 2: Salad, olives, hard boiled egg, RX Pumpkin spice bar (snack)
Meal 3: Baked potato, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, Jamie oliver sausage, fermented cabbage/beets, ghee

Day 23
Meal 1: Tuna Salad, mayo, olives, snap peas, tomato, cuke
Meal 2: 1/2 Baked potato, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, Jamie oliver sausage, fermented cabbage/beets, ghee
Meal 3: Home made chicken veggie soup, chopped tomatoes, avocado

Day 24
Meal 1: Sweet potato, avocado, sugar snap peas, egg
Meal 2: Shepherds pie, jalapeno, sliced tomato, olive oil, avocado
Meal 3: Home-made carnitas (Whole30 book), guac, homemade salsa, homemade cashew cream

Day 25
Meal 1: Potato, hotdog hash, zucchini, tomatoes, nori sheet, ghee
Meal 2: Home-made carnitas (Whole30 book), guac, homemade salsa, homemade cashew cream
Meal 3: Buffalo Sauce hot wings (Whole30 recipe), yellow peppers, carrots, broccoli, ghee

Day 26
Meal 1: 1/2 orange, RX bar, coconut, chomps
Meal 2:  Home-made carnitas (Whole30 book), guac, homemade salsa, homemade cashew cream
Meal 3: Hamburger patty, mayo. stir fried veggies. 

Day 27
Meal 1: Shepherds pie, avocado, stir fried veggies, coconut date roll, la croix
Meal 2: Homemade squash soup, olive oil
Meal 3: Pulled pork, fermented cabbage, broccoli w. ghee, baked potato w. ghee, spicy mayo

Day 28- MAJOR SNACKING IN AFTERNOON (dried coconut -compliant but still...)
Meal 1: Omelette, with homemade salsa, 1 piece orange, pan fried potato, sugar snap peas, avocado
Meal 2: Omlette leftovers, salsa, broccoli, pork (i.e the same as breakfast)
Meal 3: Big Salad, chicken, avocado, olives (basically, every leftover in the house

Day 29
Meal 1: Squash soup, olive oil, two eggs
Meal 2: Big Salad, tuna, mayo, olives
Meal 3: TBD

Day 30
Meal 1: 
Meal 2:
Meal 3

• 1 month later...

This post, was originally an email  put together in response to the Whole30 Canada blog post.
Link: http://whole30.com/2016/10/whole30-101-canada/

A few weeks before the blog post came out the Facebook page asked for us (Canadians) to share our Whole30 fav's. This got me excited and I happily shared my opinions, and favourite compliant brands. Well, when the blog post came out I personally feel it fell flat, so I wrote to the author with a full list of products from my region alone. 
Original call to action:  https://www.facebook.com/Whole30/posts/1160818720661711

So, I put together this email and the attached excel document of products that are compliant as of October 31 2016

Hello Shanna,

I responded to the post on the Whole30 Facebook page of October 24th and you invited me to contact you via email. Thank you for the opportunity to share my thoughts. 
To be fair I was probably too harsh in my critique of the article, however it did really fluster me. 

I was quick to react mostly because 'buy these American products" is almost like saying "you have nothing good enough so you'll have to buy American" (even though I know that is absolutely NOT what you were implying).

Right now the Canadian dollar is worth .75 American cents. So, if I were to by a 24 pack of Chomp sticks it would not cost me $49.00 USD (Plus $4.00 shipping) it would actually run me $70.48 Canadian after exchange. Not to mention the fact they do not ship to Canada. However, if they did the shipping cost would be at least triple, if not more, and would take 3-4 weeks to arrive. 

Importing goods into Canada is not always easy. The products that can ship to Canada of course have to meet our standards to be allowed into the country. Most of the Whole30 approved products likely do qualify as they are high quality, but there are no guarantees. Sometimes parcels come through but we are charged duty (15% of the product price converted to CAD plus a $10 handling fee). Things are starting to add up...

You can see why buying products readily available to Canadians within Canada is so important. 

I along with some friends put together the attached Whole30 Pantry list based only on products available in New Brunswick (NB). NB is one of the smallest Canadian Provinces with two major grocery store chains (Sobeys & Superstore). Most cities have Walmart as well. Those living in Ontario or BC would have many more options due to larger diversity, and population. However, I think when you add it up our list really is spectacular. 

One specific brand that was mentioned when you asked for suggestions was Epicure. They are 100% Canadian and 100% women owned, and have over 100 compliant spices, sauces and dip mixes. It is the fact that the article missed sharing information like this that really frustrated me (and still does). Let's face it, not everyone is going to put together a database like this. They are going to take what you say at face value. 

Anyway, thank you again for listening. Open dialogue is truly one of the things I love about Whole30.

cleardot.gif

Whole30-Pantry.xlsx

• 1 month later...
On 9/16/2016 at 11:32 AM, barty90 said:

I was so happy to find a compliant sausage in my Sobey's store yesterday! Its Blue Goose Smoked Chicken Sausage. The Spanish flavoured one has no sugar and it's SO good. They have other flavours, just make sure to ensure those other flavours don't have sugar. Since we don't have Aidell's sausage (at least my Costcos and Whole Foods and other stores don't sell it here in Ottawa) and so many people use it in a Whole30, I was excited to find something similar! Check it out! As a plus, Blue Goose products are organic and antibiotic free :)

I finally remembered to ask about this at my Sobeys. They get the Blue Goose chicken breasts and wings, but he said they don't order the Sausages. I'll try checking other locations. I'm not giving up!

Archived