getting derailed by morning coffee.

Dnnala

I'm at day 18 and I'm trying to get to day 38.  I'm really close to going off the rails by, of all things, my morning coffee/tea.  I REALLY enjoy the morning delicious, hot beverage. Coconut milk/cream still leaves my beverage too bitter.  When I'm waking up and really wanting something pleasurable my defenses are down and I'm getting dangerously close to throwing in the towel over this one obstacle.  Can anyone give me any ideas (other than suck it up, and only because I don't think that will work here.  Everywhere else, yes. on this topic, no.)  Please help with your thoughts and experiences. 

• Moderators

Have you tried different coffees? They can taste very different. You could also try cold brewed coffee, or making your coffee in a French press. Adding a tiny bit of salt can also help cut bitterness -- not so much to make it taste salty, just a tiny bit.

So rather than being derailed by coffee,  I had to give it up.  Coffee and heavy cream used to be my breakfast.  Nutmilks didn't work for me either as they made my coffee more acidic no matter how I tried to spruce it up.

I've traded in the coffee for cold brewed green tea which seems to be the least acidic drink for my gut. I  can also drink hot lemon water with ginger or another mild spice.  You're 2/3's of the way there. Booyah!  

Try kombucha with your brekkie.  I will not tell you to sux it UP or "you've got this". That is so overused it's like nails on the chalkboard.  How do they know we've got it covered.  come and get it smiley

It might sound silly, but are you putting enough coconut cream in your coffee?  I was also a coffee, cream and sugar girl, and found that coconut cream was just not cutting it at first.  Then I one morning I just decided to add a bit more, and bingo, I love the coconut now.  I use probably 1/4 of a can in my 1 cup a day, and it is just so rich and creamy and almost tastes sweet.  I also switched to instant coffee since it is easier for me to control how strong my coffee is. 

I don't know about Dnnala but coconut products don't agree with me all that much. When I gave up coffee is the day that I started to turn T2/insulin resistance on its heels.  Nothing worked faster than that.  My coffee addiction was affecting my blood sugar and adrenal glands.  Quitting coffee helped me get rid of belly fat affecting my hormones and that house of cards started tumbling down.  Next to removings sugars, its the very best I've ever done for myself.  I wasn't eating any sugars for months but I was still drinking coffee. It was the fly in the ointment and the monkey on my back holding my healing up. 

I love coffee and find it helps me stay on track with my Whole 30.  Cold Brewed Coffee is the bomb!! Less bitter, softer taste delicious - best iced but you can heat it up.  You can find compliant organic versions at whole foods or make it yourself if cold beans.  It is less bitter.  Drink it with compliant nut milk (I like almond) and cinnamon over ice. Yum. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Better beans would be the first thing to try.  Cold-brewed as others have mentioned will be less acidic.  Coffee made with an AeroPress will also be less acidic, and I've found can closely approximate cold brew smoothness while still being made quickly and hot.  It also can make mediocre beans perform better.

Archived