Whole30 & Trying To Conceive

wholemhk

My husband and I are ready to start trying to conceive, and I'm hoping to start a whole30 after Labor Day.  However, I'm a bit skeptical after reading about many women's cycles changing during the whole30.  The reason I worry is that in the past I have had very irregular cycles, but for the past year they have finally become regular- for me at least, ranging from 34-40 days. (This is an improvement from having one every 3-4 months!)  I can always tell when I am ovulating, which I know is important when trying to conceive.  Is it not a good idea to do a whole30 right before trying to get pregnant, because it may disrupt my menstrual cycle? I just don't want to throw everything off and mess up my cycles! On the other hand, I've heard great things about the Whole30 and fertility! Thoughts? 

I have longer cycles, too, and find that if I start a Whole30 prior to ovulation, ovulation is delayed... So now, I know to start after ovulation, and by the time I'm set to ovulate again, my body has figured out it's safe to ovulate. (Any sort of perceived stress has the potential to delay ovulation. The body doesn't want to get pregnant then because it has a lower risk of bringing the baby to term. Think caveman days... periods of no food / water are not ideal for sustaining life. Thus, significant diet changes can cause the body to pause.  Survival of the species at its best.)

I've gotten pregnant 2 times, both after a Whole 30. Maybe it's related, maybe it's not. But, I found several other ladies on my current birth board that had the same experience.  Your body and baby need nutrient dense foods to stay healthy, so why not start now? Maybe it'll help your body think conditions are great for an easy conception.

Exciting times!! Congrats on deciding to start a family! Hubby and I did a whole30 right before we started trying which happened to time perfectly with when I ovulated and we were fortunate enough to conceive right away. Just follow the template and eat full meals and your body will thank you. Good luck!!

I should also add that both hubby and I ate a very clean Paleo diet the three months prior to be sure we were as healthy as we could be for our future little one. I was still about 20 pounds overweight but managed to have a healthy weight gain of 25 pounds over the pregnancy by following a mainly whole30 diet to be sure I was eating enough and eating well. Once the food aversions kicked in that was another story and for another post :) but managed to get back on track shortly after.

• 1 month later...

I know this is an older thread but I am taking my second attempt at the Whole30 in order to help prep my body to try to have another baby! My husband and I have been trying for 5 months with no success and honestly, I have had a hard time with stress and anxiety over the past two months that I am not ovulating regularly anymore. In a matter of 38 days two of my grandparents passed away, my niece was hospitalized at one month old with RSV (she is ok now), and I handled this all with wine and pita chips/hummus. My doctor talked to me about switching up my diet and starting with prenatal vitamins so here I am! 

Anyone have updates on ovulation changes?

Thanks!

I am on day 8 of whole30 and I got my period today - four days early! I have been off of hormonal birth control for about six months, and my husband and I decided to start trying for a baby this month. With this early cycle start, do you think my fertile window moved up as well? It's my first whole30 and I knew there would be hormone changes - but my cycle has always been reliably 28 days. It's strange - I had none of my regular PMS symptoms and usually my day 1 is hell, but it's not been terrible at all! If this is what it's like eating like this, I am so in! ...but would just like to know where my egg's at, ya know?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I wanted to jump in here as it sounds like a few people are in the same boat.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for six months now without success. Through tracking, I noticed that I had a short luteal phase and blood tests recently revealed that while I am ovulating regularly, I have low progesterone levels. I am planning on starting a whole30 ASAP to see if I can help balance my hormones. I am very nervous about the whole thing because I currently have an extremely regular cycle and I am worried that the whole30 will render the next 30 days useless as it will likely alter my cycle. I have done a whole30 previously and I bled/spotted for much of it. 

I will be tracking my cycle with the OPKs so we will see how this goes. 

Best of luck to everyone!

• 1 month later...

HI everyone. I am doing this whole30 starting on 5th January to try to help me conceive. We have been trying for 16 cycles now, one failed IUI. Next cycle will be our second IUI attempt and my whole30 should start a few days before the beginning of that cycle. I've heard of a few ladies getting pregnant the month of or soon after doing the whole30 so hoping it will do the trick. If not then hopefully at least I will be healthier and my stress levels will reduce. 

On 1/1/2017 at 2:30 PM, emily_suki said:

HI everyone. I am doing this whole30 starting on 5th January to try to help me conceive. We have been trying for 16 cycles now, one failed IUI. Next cycle will be our second IUI attempt and my whole30 should start a few days before the beginning of that cycle. I've heard of a few ladies getting pregnant the month of or soon after doing the whole30 so hoping it will do the trick. If not then hopefully at least I will be healthier and my stress levels will reduce. 

I am also TTC and started my second Whole30 on 1/2/17!  Would love to stay connected for support!

On 1/3/2017 at 4:30 PM, klynch said:

I am also TTC and started my second Whole30 on 1/2/17!  Would love to stay connected for support!

Congratulations on deciding to grow your family, ladies! If it's okay I'd like to stay in touch too, my husband and I are also TTC. I just started my first round on January 2 and I'm really hoping it balances my hormones and helps everything go smoother. Good luck!! 

10 hours ago, AmberRayAnn said:

Congratulations on deciding to grow your family, ladies! If it's okay I'd like to stay in touch too, my husband and I are also TTC. I just started my first round on January 2 and I'm really hoping it balances my hormone/s and helps everything go smoother. Good luck!! 

Awesome Amber! How are you feeling so far?

7 hours ago, klynch said:

Awesome Amber! How are you feeling so far?

So far I feel pretty good! Just really tired. But I'm really lucky because I'm not working right now so I'm able to focus on going to the gym, making good meals, and sneaking in naps. I just haven't been able to sleep well at night, which has been frustrating. But I'm told that gets better as the month goes on. How about you? You said this is your second round, right?

Klynch how are you doing? I'm doing well so far. I'm actually really enjoying cooking a lot of different meals. The only thing is, I think I need to step away from the sweet potato a bit! I think I've had it in some form every day so far and I'm starting to get a bit sick of it. Luckily tonight's spaghetti bolognese doesn't have a sweet potato in sight. Spaghetti squash for me! I think I'll have beets with tomorrow's lamb chops. How about the rest of you? Also, how are you doing with your TTC if you feel like sharing? I'm due to begin my new cycle any time now. Spotting has started so it's just a waiting game now. Next cycle is IUI #2 for me. 

Hi ladies! So I am looking for some help! I have 2 friends that have been trying to conceive for quite a long time now with no success :( yet! They have both reached out to me for support because I am a midwife birth assistant and childbirth educator and I am working on a certification to be a holistic nutritionist (and I too, have experienced loss before I had my son). In the world I work in I have a basic understanding of fertility but from a very holistic mindset and I want to tread lightly here. I believe they should start with the whole30 in order to start balancing their hormones. I don't want to sound like the food police so what were some of the selling points for you ladies that pointed you in the whole30 direction? I would also love to stay connected and hear about all of the success stories! Hope all of you are well! -Ashtin 

Hey ladies! I'm now on Day 17 of Whole30, expecting to ovulate on Day 27. I'm usually around a 32-day cycle, but last cycle was 39 days! I've confirmed ovulation each cycle by temping, but hoping that moving forward my cycles will be shorter. Mostly so that if we miss the egg, we don't have to wait so long to try again ;) Not sure what to expect during Whole30...I've read that those not on birth control have a delayed cycle at first?

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have been TTC for two years with two miscarriages. We're hoping our Whole30 helps us get a baby. We started shortly after I finished my first period following the second pregnancy loss and D & C. I was very disappointed that I didn't receive a positive OPKthis past cycle, but I still started right on time yesterday. Day 19 of Whole30 is almost over, I'm hoping the fertility timing works out better for this next cycle. We're feeling much better: healthy and rejuvenated. I'm also using Femara prescribed by my midwife. Crossing fingers for all of us!

On 1/13/2017 at 7:29 PM, ARose46 said:

I don't want to sound like the food police so what were some of the selling points for you ladies that pointed you in the whole30 direction?

I'm not ttc yet, but am hoping the whole30 can help balance my post partum hormones so that we can start trying in the next few months. 

My diet wasn't too far off before I started (I'm on day 9 now), but it did include a lot of dairy. It was reading the dairy manifesto (http://whole9life.com/2013/03/the-dairy-manifesto/) that really convinced me to give it a try. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by an Naprotechnology Doctor in Houston,Tx for me to do the Whole 30 and I've finally been able to start this diet as of March 5th and im presently on Day 3, I was diagnosed with PCOS April 2016 and have had a hard time conceiving for a whole year. I look forward to losing some weight and being able to conceive with my fiancé here this year!!

Hey ladies, I just wanted to update you all to say that Whole30 worked for me! I actually did a Whole60, as I thought it would take me more than the one cycle to get my hormones regulated. Only 3 days after finishing, I conceived! I definitely think Whole30 worked. I had been charting cervical fluid, basal body temperature, OPKs, the works. I was concerned that I was seeing very little fertile cervical fluid, and my temperatures seemed very low (mid 96's). The cycle during the second half of my Whole60 I had classic fertile cervical fluid for the first time. I also lost 13 pounds, so I am starting this pregnancy at a better weight than I would have without Whole30 :) Feeling happy!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello ladies! I am new to the forum and would like to know if anyone is still trying to conceive. My husband and I have been trying for 2 years now but since nothing has happened, we are giving the whole30 a try! Please cross your fingers for us!

I am 9 days in and my period has started 5 days early... does this change my whole ovulation schedule? Any advise would be much appreciated!

On 11/23/2016 at 8:58 AM, kmg4805 said:

Hi everyone,

I wanted to jump in here as it sounds like a few people are in the same boat.

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for six months now without success. Through tracking, I noticed that I had a short luteal phase and blood tests recently revealed that while I am ovulating regularly, I have low progesterone levels. I am planning on starting a whole30 ASAP to see if I can help balance my hormones. I am very nervous about the whole thing because I currently have an extremely regular cycle and I am worried that the whole30 will render the next 30 days useless as it will likely alter my cycle. I have done a whole30 previously and I bled/spotted for much of it. 

I will be tracking my cycle with the OPKs so we will see how this goes. 

Best of luck to everyone!

Yes, if your period is early, it's likely your ovulation will be early as well. Your cycle may be off, and I know how defeating it is to wait another month if need be, but it's much better to wait until your body is ready to conceive. Your body knows when conditions aren't ideal for pregnancy, and sometimes it just needs a little time to realize it's ready. 

Archived