Starting on Tuesday 9/6

Karabeaner

3 hours ago, jmcbn said:

A couple of walnuts here and there are fine, but do try to keep them within meals - sprinkled on a salad for instance - just to reign in the snacking and allow your digestive system some  down time and give your body the oopportunity to learn to tap into it's fat stores for fuel, the same with the apples...

Can I ask why you need to keep your protein to a minimum?

I have a kidney disease in which protein leaks through my kidneys and will weaken them over time...nephritis in short.  

Thank you for your input! So helpful.

Another question.  I have been cooking a with olive oil a lot...not a big fan of coconut oil.  Is that okay?

@Karabeaner  it sounds like you are doing great!  I too am using fruit/nuts if I'm really hungry and need something in between meals.  Understanding that snacking isn't the best thing in the world, I'm committed to only eat compliant foods.  p.197 of Whole30 reminds me "you'll want to make sure you have some extra food on hand should you find yourself hungry between meals (it's common for your appetitie to take a week or two to regulate - if you need a snack during this transition, no big deal)."  Hopefully as this journey goes on, I can work on eliminating snacks.. for now it's sticking to compliant foods and getting in nutrients.  My favorite fruit of choice has been mandarin oranges.  This weekend I plan to cook a crockpot full of chicken breasts.  I will shred some to make chicken salad with my homemade mayonnaise (p.179 Whole30 book).  It's delicious!  

I do hope that I'm able to shop and prepare a few things ahead of time this weekend.  That was really a life saver this past week as I got started. 

Best wishes to all of us - it's Day 5!! :)

3 hours ago, Karabeaner said:

Another question.  I have been cooking a with olive oil a lot...not a big fan of coconut oil.  Is that okay?

If it's the flavour you're not keen on you can get a refined version that is flavourless. Olive oil has a low smoke point so depending on what you're using it for you might want to look at some alternatives like lard, ghee, duck fat etc. EVOO is my favourite for salads though!

Hi everyone,

I'm popping in late.  I started Whole30 on Tuesday myself.  I did a Whole60 a few years ago and felt great.  Then fell off of it and my health got worse.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  On a very high dose of thyroid meds which my doc has been experimenting with me for a few years.  I even went completely off my thyroid meds because they were so high that I was dealing with anxiety.  Finally went back to the doc and he has me back on the meds.  I'm aware, I'll never go off these meds but I want to be on a lower dosage so the medications which help my thyroid don't effect me.  I know from my last whole60, I didn't have pain and bloating and my thyroid levels were beautiful.    So, I made the decision to start back up after labor day.  I had a bad headache on day 3 and I'm very tired today.  I just made a cup of coffee with some canned coconut milk as my creamer.  I'm glad to be back in gear.

It's so good to be in all of this together!  We are 1/6 of the way!  (However with the exception of some wine every now and then, I would love to continue past the 30 day mark!) 

So, I read an article that proved VERY true today.  It was about mistakes that people make on the Whole 30 without even knowing it.  I now have a sprained ankle and crutches because I went into a step/zumba class without eating breakfast and without the typical "fake" energy that I have from carbs.  My ankle rolled and though I continued....I was in the ER hours later. 

Take is easy everyone!  

Kara

Kara, I am sorry to hear about your ankle... I hope that you are doing well and are staying strong on the program. 

Tomorrow is Day 7 everyone!  I made the mistake today of counting the days left... I need to focus on how many days I've been going.. and take it day by day.  We have eaten out twice in the 6 days.  We usually eat out very often, so I'm happy about eating at home and cooking.  It's really going well and my husband is sticking to it with me.  He's not officially doing Whole30, but he's making very similar choices.  That helps so much!

Did not do as much prep this weekend as I did last weekend.  I did make a crockpot of chicken - shredded it so we can put it on salads, lettuce wraps, and I'm going to make chicken salad with my homemade mayo! :) I also made potato salad today - oh so good!!  Cooked dinner in foil packets for everyone - grass-fed ground beef patties, cut up potatoes, zucchini, and broccoli.  Used ghee, salt and pepper to season.  Delicious!  and easy clean up.  Spinach and eggs made for breakfast and in the frig ready for reheat.

I hope that everyone is doing well - have a happy Monday!

Be strong Sweetbrook and stay in this group.  I wish you the best.  Cooking is getting a little tiring - but I really enjoy the food I have fixed.  I know this is going to get long... but it is nice knowing others are in this thing too :) 

and I ordered some Nutpods for my coffee - it arrived today and I love it!!  woo hoo 

HI all!  I am still with it but today I HATE IT!!! All I want are chips!!

So, I had some carrots.  

I know that we can do this!  Thank you all for the concern of the ankle.  Have to go tomorrow to see if I have a fracture.  I don't think so, though!

Anyone else experiencing cramping in the body?  My back and arms are crampy and sore at times.  Is that a result of something or am I just getting old?  LOL!

I, too find myself counting how many days I have left.  But, we started a week today and we are still here!  

K

1 hour ago, Karabeaner said:

Anyone else experiencing cramping in the body?  My back and arms are crampy and sore at times.

Are you salting your food? Are you taking a magnesium supplement?

Cramping can be from a lack of salt, a lack of calcium, magnesium or potassium - make sure you're including calcium & potassium rich foods. (so things like sardines, dark leafy greens, & green beans for the calcium, and potatoes, mushrooms, avocado, bananas and again dark leafy greens for the potassium)

I'm traveling this week, and although I brought a ton of compliant food, it's definitely harder.  I'm antsy, want to go out for food, but don't want the temptation.  I'm taking my daughters and their friends to an amusement park on Saturday for my one daughter's birthday-that's what I'm most nervous about.  You can't bring food in (I'm still going to bring a bar in my bag).  My plan is to bring a cooler bag and go back to the car for my lunch.  I'll eat breakfast before we leave (it's a 2 hr drive).  It looks like compliant food in the park may be a salad with most stuff picked off and my own dressing.

But life goes on, right?  We have to figure out how to do this and keep doing the other things, like celebrating kids' birthday, traveling for work, etc.

Karabeaner - hope you're healing well!    Sweetbrook - Stay positive, you can do it!

Day 8 and feeling fine but......  Ugh the rash!  I don't have any skin issues typically, but my right has a small patch that itches like crazy and I've got a less itchy but larger patch on my stomach.   Ketosis?   I haven't been eating much fruit so am working that in more - a banana at breakfast, an apple at lunch.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

Thank you itsmytime!

Feeling better ankle wise, but I totally threw up out of nowhere today.  Was having  headaches and then bam....vomit!  I think my body is telling me something but I'm not sure what?  (NOT PREGNANT!! and no flu) 

I am making a potato with dinner to steal a few carbs.  Maybe I'm not eating enough.

Not sure about the skin issue.....I'll look into it as well! Hope it's better!

K

15 hours ago, itsmytime said:

Karabeaner - hope you're healing well!    Sweetbrook - Stay positive, you can do it!

Day 8 and feeling fine but......  Ugh the rash!  I don't have any skin issues typically, but my right has a small patch that itches like crazy and I've got a less itchy but larger patch on my stomach.   Ketosis?   I haven't been eating much fruit so am working that in more - a banana at breakfast, an apple at lunch.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!

This may sound odd, but I have itchy spots on my head, like dry patches or something  (no, not lice -says while itching head and starting to freak out just thinking about it:lol:).  It could be related to this; it could be related to traveling this week, using Hilton Hotels' shampoo, which is all the Neutragena stuff. ??

JMCBN I'm definitely eating more peppers than usual, and hardly any potatoes which I will be adding back in.  My daily email said that on day 3 that a rash could occur as part of the detox and symptoms may get worse before they get better - I'm just waiting for the getting better part!  

A few things I've read talk about it in more detail, with the best summary being:  when bad bacterial in your gut dies off and is replaced with good bacteria, the matter in the bad bacteria needs to exit quickly.  Since you you only use the bathroom so many times in a day, it looks for the nearest exit and escapes from your skin.  It can last a few days or up to a few months.  I hope not!!!  

End of Day 10  - I am feeling pretty good overall.  Karabeaner, I am having some muscle soreness/pain in my back particularly.  I wasn't sure if it was a symptom or if it's just old age as well :)  I'm also having some digestive issues that I won't explain in detail... My body is definitely doing something.  Hopefully something good?  Hopefully my body is ridding itself of toxins, etc...??  It's hard not to count the days left... it seems so far away.  But, I am realizing that I need the full 30 days to break some habits.

I've got to cook ahead a little more this weekend.  It really helped during the first few days to have good food cooked and ready. 

Stay strong everyone!  Enjoy Friday!

How is everyone doing?  I can't believe this is Day 17.  Whew... I personally am feeling better.  Struggled with some headaches, muscle aches, digestive issues last week.  I plan to reread the Reintroduction section of the Whole30 book this weekend.   Just to start preparing for the blessed day 31 :)  I know that I want to carefully reintroduce.  Sure would like good feedback on how I react to different foods. 

How are you all?   We are over the hump...

Archived