Organizing all these recipes

1Maryann

I keep seeing all these amazing recipes here and on other paleo sites. I keep bookmarking them, but they are getting out of hand. I've used allrecipes.com for years, and all I had to do was click to move things to my recipe box. I guess I'm spoiled. What do the rest of you do to keep your recipes organized?

Pinterest. It's so much easier than other bookmarks because it's visual - I can see what I am looking for. It's not ideal; their search engine SUCKS. But you can subdivide your boards by any categories you like or you can tag your posts (but again, given their search engine I don't find tags help much). I need to take the time to subdivide my recipe boards, but haven't done it yet.

I do print hard copies of the things I actually cook, because I don't like going back and forth to the computer while cooking. If I like it, it goes in a recipe folder I keep on the countertop so I can pull it out the next time I want to make it.

Pinterest. It's so much easier than other bookmarks because it's visual - I can see what I am looking for. It's not ideal; their search engine SUCKS. But you can subdivide your boards by any categories you like or you can tag your posts (but again, given their search engine I don't find tags help much). I need to take the time to subdivide my recipe boards, but haven't done it yet.

I do print hard copies of the things I actually cook, because I don't like going back and forth to the computer while cooking. If I like it, it goes in a recipe folder I keep on the countertop so I can pull it out the next time I want to make it.

Yeah, that's what I should do. I'll start a Whole30/Paleo binder. I think that's easier. That is one thing I love about having WellFed on my Kindle fire. It's very easy to pull up a recipe using the index and I set it up in the kitchen. Supposedly I can store documents in the cloud for my fire, but I haven't investigated.

Do both! Pinrterest is so much fun and a great way to keep track of things you MIGHT do. I only print when I know I really am going to do something, but it's good to have a place to keep all those "That sounds yummy!" ideas.

Yep....just registered and already stole something from Derval. :)

I just copy and paste into a document. If I use something enough, I'll print it and put it in a binder. I could, theoretically organize the recipes within the document, but I just search for a keyword and find the recipes easily enough. You could also use www.food.com (or a similar site), enter the recipe there and add it to your cookbook.

Derval - you now have another stalker follower.

I loved the definition of vegetarian ;) .

Thanks!

LOL...yes, as Derval warned me, I've been playing on Pinterest almost all day. :)

Wait..where's the definition of vegetarian? Is that on her Pinterest page. Gaack...back I go.

Thanks all! Although I may not end up thanking you. I already spend too much time on that giant timesuck called facebook, and I'm hanging out here more often. Now y'all are feeding my internet addiction by persuading me to join pinterest. I should have listened when they told me that facebook was a gateway drug!

Printing the ones you use often is such a great tip - I've never thought of that! Pinterest does get out of control. I looooove it though!!! I aim to try 1-2 new recipes a week but keep the rest our tried and true faves. My bf only has the patience to tolerate my experimenting a few nights anyways ;)

This is exactly what I do, except with a binder. Once a recipe has been used more than once, it ends up in a page protector. Eventually, I plan to actually organize the binder, but for now, I just pull out the page I want, cook and then put it back wherever. Not much of a system, but it works great! Plus this way, my husband knows where to go for our favorites when I'm out of town or working late.

I still haven't figured out how to best capture my favorites from all my paleo cookbooks though. That'll be my next endeavor on this front...

aim to try 1-2 new recipes a week but keep the rest our tried and true faves. My bf only has the patience to tolerate my experimenting a few nights anyways ;)

I do this, too, because it's faster and easier to cook things i know well, but adding one or two different things keeps it interesting.

I use a site called Paprika. It will automatically download recipes from some sites or you can put the recipes in through their copying. It's a little difficult to learn but I really love it.

I am also on Pinterest and save recipes there. I have a paleo board and one that says low carb sugar free gluten free where I saved recipes for homemade mayonnaise, ketchup, ghee and other staples. You can follow me at Michelle Lobovits.

I have a unique method for organizing my recipes. I use an app called Pocket, which allows you to email any page to a saved email address, then, when I click on the app, all of my recipes are saved there. It's a bookmarking app but I use it solely for recipes. I like the idea of printing them out too, I think I'll start doing that as well.

I use http://evernote.com/. If you have a smart phone or tablet, there's an app so you always have all your information with you. There is a web clipper to clip recipes you find around the web and an email that you can email notes in too. I love the search feature so if I have an item I need to use up, I can search for all my recipes that use it. You can scan notes in or take a picture with your phone. I use it for everything.

Archived