Jumping right in!!!

JimS

Day 17 - Another big spinach, kale and romaine salad, carrots and red pepper, an avocado, leftover pork ribs today... split across two meals.

12:00 PM - salad, carrots, pepper, 1/2 avocado, pork ribs, water

4:00 PM - same as meal #1

8:00 PM - baked chicken thigh and drumsticks, salad, sweet potato, water

I'm feeling pretty sore this week... I was particularly inspired this past week and upped my training volume, but may have done a bit too much. Now I'm trying to taper my volume without taking too much time off. Trying to spend today doing mostly active recovery stuff... but sometimes it's really hard to rein it in.

Day 19

Morning - coffee

12:30 - scrambled eggs and sauteed onions and garlic, kale, and tomatoes, water

2:00 PM - handful of pistachios, water

My oldest son and I are going camping this weekend in the Steens Mountain area of southeastern Oregon. It's just about as far as you can get from anywhere... should be fun to take the Whole30 on a road trip! :D I probably won't check back in until Tuesday, but hopefully I'll have a good Whole30 camp food story to tell.

Well, we had a great trip to southeastern Oregon... a long, long way from Portland. I stuck with the Whole30 the entire time, woohoo!! Camping and hiking while doing a Whole30 is pretty easy as long as you've got enough cooler space to bring fresh, real food. It was just me and my oldest son, so packing a cooler for two for a four day trip was dead simple. If it were our entire family of six or an extended trip without re-provisioning, I would need to get creative with meal planning.

Here's a Facebook photo album of the trip. I'm not a photographer... but good scenery and lighting can make anyone with an iPhone look respectable! :Dhttps://www.facebook...=1&l=14fbb9d2b1

All that goodness aside, I hit a stumbling block after our return, so I'm resetting my Whole30 back to Day 1. Monday evening, I made some 'Bulletproof Coffee' with unsalted butter and happily drank that delicious concoction without realizing I was doing. I had been wanting to try the recipe and was on autopilot when I did it... not really 'giving into a craving' but mindlessly going about my business. It's actually kind of funny that I was able to resist all manners of sugary junk food and treats during my Whole30 attempt but was done in by a coffee drink. Maybe that says something right there...

I did make it 22 days and worked hard to tame my mindless snacking, so I don't consider this a failure... just something to learn from and move on. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up coffee as part of my Whole30 redux, but maybe that's the Achilles heel that I need to address (said as I'm sipping some fresh java, lol...). I will start a new thread later today for my second attempt.

Jim I have been following your posts from the beginning and I think you are pretty amazing and inspiring. Nice job on making it 22 days and more importantly on recognizing the mindless eating, or in your case mindless drinking, and that is what all of this is really all about. Congrats!

On another note, sometime last year Dallas hosted a 3 week no caffeine challenge. I, always up for a challenge, jumped right in. It was tough! I mean it is brutally tough, but I am happy to report, I never went back. I still drink coffee, I genuinely LOVE the taste of coffee, but I get decaf. Granted there is still some caffeine in decaf, but you get the point…

I wonder if we could get Dallas to host another…………………….

Anyway, congrats again and I look forward to reading “take twoâ€.

Archived