am I encouraging or discouraging a sugar demon here?

I love the suggestion I read about replacing the after dinner "need for dessert" with a cup of tea so I've been experimenting with different herbals.

I finally found a hibiscus tea that doesn't have soy lecithin or stevia in it and I'm excitedly drinking an iced glass now...However, I have to admit with hibiscus tea there is a faint feeling like I am cheating or something.

It has a punch like taste, and if you've had the tea you know what I am talking about. I have no plans or desire to add sugar to it but I feel like I am satisfying a sweet craving because the color and flavor remind me of...ulp....Kool-Aid. A natural good for me Kool-Aid though.

Do you think this is perpetuating my sugar demons or finding a suitable replacement?

Your thoughts are appreciated! I'm on Day 21 :)

Juni, I think your tea sounds like the perfect choice. We're not trying to eliminate any sweet or delicious foods from your diet, and though the tea tastes sweet, without any sugar your body isn't going to go into the same crave/reward cycle as it would with sugary foods. You're on the right track - keep up the great work!

Melissa

I felt the same way when I had that tea as well...everytime I took a sip a would get the stupid box out to make sure I wasn't mis-reading the ingredients...it was so sweet! Actually by the time I finished my first W30 I couldn't even drink it anymore...way too sweet!!!

I almost threw out a cup of starbucks vanilla rooibos tea because it tasted so sweet I was convinced there was sugar in it. Turns out there's no sugar but after 30-60 days with no sugar, you can taste things in a whole new way!

I went exactly 60 days 100% clean before I tested the waters with crap food, and lots of it(Easter day). Nothing too sweet, and nothing made me actually feel sick, I just felt FAT and more sluggish. I am back eating clean again though and much happier about it! Eating this way daily is definitely a change in how I feel overall in regards to energy and life! Not to mention the health benefits!

All herbal teas are approved, if their ingredients are clean. You have to be careful with teas - sometimes they'll add things like Stevia or barley root, which are not Whole30 approved. But most teas are clean - and some are delicoiusly, naturally sweet!

Licorice root is fine, but vanilla extracts all conain alcohol, so they're out. (It's kind of silly, I know, but we have to be consistent ith the rules.) You can grind vanilla bean for flavor, however, as a substitute.

Best,

Melissa

I almost threw out a cup of starbucks vanilla rooibos tea because it tasted so sweet I was convinced there was sugar in it. Turns out there's no sugar but after 30-60 days with no sugar, you can taste things in a whole new way!

Dude, I know! That is SO RAD. Blueberries and raspberries taste like candy. Sweet potato puree tastes like frosting. Carrots taste sweet! The standard american diet has totally screwed up our ability to taste sweetness in real food. So glad that it's so easy to re-calibrate for real food.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Hibiscus tea, and I usually get the one made by Tazo. Another good one by them is the Wild sweet orange, they both have about the same "tart" flavor to them but I love it. To me it almost tastes like you're drinking Koolaid, although plenty of people I know think it's too sour. It's usually my favorite tea to drink daily, other than my occasional hot green tea in the morning (usually a Cherry green tea).

I make tea straight from hibiscus flowers (which you can find often sold as flor de Jamaica, they're beautiful purple/deep pink dried blossoms) and have always found it tart enough to pucker my mouth! I think I might make it on the strong side...I just stuck to mint tea during the W30. When not doing the W30 I have sweetened hibiscus tea with honey and served it as a punch on a special occasion.

My experience with recognizing sweetness in new foods post-W30 was much the same. I gained a new appreciation for the earthy sweetness of plain, raw carrots and about fell over the first time I baked a plantain- gooey, sweet, amazing! I think I also just grew more receptive to sitting down and slowly tasting my food, because if I wasn't enjoying and savoring my W30 meals, then the cravings were definitely going to win!

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, I know! That is SO RAD. Blueberries and raspberries taste like candy. Sweet potato puree tastes like frosting. Carrots taste sweet! The standard american diet has totally screwed up our ability to taste sweetness in real food. So glad that it's so easy to re-calibrate for real food.

Funny, I just had the same thought. I'm on Day 7 and I had a small handful of almonds a few minutes ago. I couldn't believe how sweet they were, especially if I chewed them well. They never tasted like this before.

As far as the American diet goes, the difference is very obvious in the Ethnic Foods aisle of the grocery store. A while back I was looking for fajita seasonings. All the ones in the 'regular' aisle had sugar in the mix. In the ethnic aisle, none of them did. They have been adding sugar to so many foods for so long that we have become desensitized to it.

• 1 month later...

I had half of a banana with an omelet this morning. I'm not generally a banana person but needed a bit of balance. Not only could I not eat it all because it was so sweet, I felt like it had been dipped in brown sugar! This is a side effect I absolutely love. I'm heartened to hear that the sugar demons are really more associated with the body's response after consuming a sugary snack than just having something that tastes sweet.

My personal favorite: Yogi Egyptian Licorice. And I feel the same way, it's so sweet, it must be cheating! But I've triple checked the ingredient list, and it's good!

I wish I could drink Yogi tea because they have a lot of good flavors, but they are not certified gluten-free due to their use of malted barley in other teas, bummer.

No malted barley in the Egyptian Licorice! But I suppose if it is an ingredient in some of the other varieties, there could be some concern about incidental cross-contamination. Does this mean it is a W30 no-no? (oh please don't say it is...!)

"Ingredients: Licorice Root, Cinnamon Bark, Orange Peel, Ginger Root, Cardomom Seed, Black Pepper, Clove Bud, Natural Flavors, Essential Oils"

No malted barley in the Egyptian Licorice! But I suppose if it is an ingredient in some of the other varieties, there could be some concern about incidental cross-contamination. Does this mean it is a W30 no-no? (oh please don't say it is...!)

"Ingredients: Licorice Root, Cinnamon Bark, Orange Peel, Ginger Root, Cardomom Seed, Black Pepper, Clove Bud, Natural Flavors, Essential Oils"

Oh I mean that the Yogi company has some teas with malted barley, not the licorice tea. I emailed them a while back and they cannot guarantee no gluten cross-contamination.

I don't know why tea companies have to use "natural flavors."

Here's what Yogi's site says about their natural flavors: "Natural flavors are derived from natural sources such as spices, fruit, herbs, roots, or many other plants or foods, whose significant function in food is flavoring." Seems redundant, since all of the listed ingredients fit this definition.

And essential oils: "Essential oils are natural oils extracted from plants by distillation."

My personal favorite: Yogi Egyptian Licorice. And I feel the same way, it's so sweet, it must be cheating! But I've triple checked the ingredient list, and it's good!

I got this on your rec and I'm enjoying it, thanks :) My old "pasta & rice" cupboard has been replaced by herbal tea cupboard!

Archived