medullary thyroid cancer, total thyroidectomy, alopecia areata and breastfeeding

Hi there,

I am about one month post op from a total thyroidectomy (8/1/16) from medullary thyroid cancer (diagnosed 7/12/16). I also have alopecia areata and am a breastfeeding mom. I'm on R2D8 and am suffering from severe migraines, fatigue and nausea. In addition, I know the fatigue and brain fog can remain until we get my medication correct. The migraine/nausea are making it difficult to eat and drinking enough, which is hurting my supply. Some days are a little better than others but today is the worst. I'm currently on Synthroid, calcium carbonate (TUMS - not compliant) and Calitroil. I also have been taking my migraine medication because my headaches are unbearable and have my son to take care of. My son breastfeeds morning and night but my supply seems to have dipped. My symptoms have been making it diffiucult to eat and drink enough. I completed my first W30 two weeks before my diagnosis. I lost a good amount of weight but still suffered from the brain fog, interrupted sleep and fatigue. 

I'm wondering is if it's too soon after my surgery to tackle a Whole30. I've read of ways to ease into a w30 or paleo lifestyle. I see my new endocrinologist on the 15th and will speak to him about this as well. In the meantime, I was hoping to feel like I have more control over my health. Can anyone relate or have experience with these conditions?

I've no experience of this unfortunately but would wonder if, with the headaches & lack of appetite, you are getting enough to eat to keep your supply up? We recommend x4 full template meals for BFing mums, and many sip on coconut milk throughout the day for the fat, which helps with energy etc. Fenugreek is thought to help with milk supply, as is mother's milk tea.

What do your typical meals look like? Are you salting your food? How much liquid are you getting on board?

15 hours ago, jmcbn said:

I've no experience of this unfortunately but would wonder if, with the headaches & lack of appetite, you are getting enough to eat to keep your supply up? We recommend x4 full template meals for BFing mums, and many sip on coconut milk throughout the day for the fat, which helps with energy etc. Fenugreek is thought to help with milk supply, as is mother's milk tea.

What do your typical meals look like? Are you salting your food? How much liquid are you getting on board?

Thank you for your response. Where can I find the template? I try to eat meat, starchy vegetable and a fat with each meal. It's been a real challenge getting 3-4 meals in with these headaches. It's also affecting my water intake. I am salting my food, should I be? 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, lovethyselfwhole said:

Thank you for your response. Where can I find the template? I try to eat meat, starchy vegetable and a fat with each meal. It's been a real challenge getting 3-4 meals in with these headaches. It's also affecting my water intake. I am salting my food, should I be? 

Meal template is here.  You do need to salt your food, especially when you're not eating processed foods, since there's not salt in plain meat and vegetables, and you do need salt to survive.

Do you think there are non-Whole30 foods that you would be better able to eat, given your migraines and nausea? While Whole30 food would be ideal, at some point you have to eat something. Eating will more than likely help you to feel better ultimately, and not eating enough is definitely going to contribute to you not producing enough milk.

Archived