Any Suggestions For Making a Whole30 Compliant Version of Miracle Whip?

W. Eric Rau

I've been happily making my own mayonnaise using Melissa Joulwan's recipe from Well Fed, and I love it. My husband, on the other hand, loves "the tangy zip of Miracle Whip" and finds mayo lacking. I hate Miracle Whip but would like to make him a condiment that he enjoys as much as I enjoy the mayo. He's made some W30 compliant ketchups that he loves, using date paste. Does anyone have any suggestions for creating a Whole30 compliant version of Miracle Whip for him? Other posts on the forum indicate that Apple Cider Vinegar will make the mayo more tangy, which is a good start, but what can be used to give the sweetness of MW? Would a small amount of date paste ruin the texture?

• Moderators

I use apple cider vinegar by default to make mayo. I guess I like the bite. Another way to adjust the taste of mayo is to add different spices. You could use a sweet spice like cinnamon or cardamon. I used a sweet curry powder once.  I often make mine with yellow Jamaican curry, but that is not a Miracle Whip flavor. :)

Ugh, Miracle Whip ;)

Maybe use the ACV for your acid as Tom suggested (or even plain vinegar), and a little bit of date paste instead of mustard?  I think there is quite a bit of sugar in Miracle whip so the date paste would replace that. I have no idea how much but I would start with maybe a tsp, maybe 2 tsp?? 

If it fails stir in some more acid and some fresh or dried herbs and make a salad dressing. 

You are a good husband, there is no place for MW in our (my) fridge :D

Hi.

This link is a recipe close to what I use. I think I looked at several recipes and found an "average recipe" that I use to make something closer to Miracle Whip. Obviously leave out the sugar from this recipe, then I use apple cider vinegar as the only acid (no lemon juice) and light tasting olive oil instead of EVOO. I find I don't need any sweetener with this recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238208/paleo-miracle-whipped-dressing/

Also, if a moderator can let me know what the policy is on actually posting a recipe, I could do that. I don't remember where exactly I got my recipe and like I said, I think I aggregated it from several sources.

I couldn't find my Whole 30 book when I made mayo the other day, so I glanced at NomNomPaleo's mayo recipe and ended up making something much closer to Miracle Whip.  She calls for dijon mustard and white vinegar, which I didn't have, so I used rice vinegar.  And it was amazing.  Play with the amounts a little bit and it should get you close.  You could probably add a bit of paprika as well, as that's in Miracle Whip too.

8 minutes ago, Karen_Suep said:

Just be aware some Dijon mustard has wine or sugar and may not be compliant. Read every label

Absolutely.   It was Annie's organic dijon.  *Distilled White Vinegar, Water, *Mustard Seed, Sea Salt, *Clove. *Organic Ingredients. I was pretty happy about it.

• Moderators
On 9/7/2016 at 1:00 AM, AceOfSwords said:

Also, if a moderator can let me know what the policy is on actually posting a recipe, I could do that. I don't remember where exactly I got my recipe and like I said, I think I aggregated it from several sources.

You can't post a recipe that you're copying directly from a book or from a paid internet site that everyone doesn't have access to (copyright issues), and if you're posting one that's online somewhere, just post the link to it so everyone knows where it came from. If you've altered recipes, courtesy would dictate you'd say where you got the original recipes from, although if you aren't sure anymore because you looked at a bunch of sources and just took bits and pieces of different ones, I think it's fine if you just say that and then post your recipe.

Thank you, everyone, for your great suggestions! I made my first "W30MW" for my husband the evening before last (Wednesday) and he is very pleased!

Based on your suggestions, I used the basic (and always delicious) Melissa Joulwan Well Fed recipe as my starting point. At the same time, I made a separate jar of mayo for myself using the Well Fed recipe and took part of it to work in a small container the next morning to have in my office fridge. I brought some ghee to work too - it will be nice to have them on hand for my lunches at work. As others here have said, homemade mayo has ruined the taste of most commercial versions for me, even W30 compliant ones like Tessemae's - why would I ever choose anything else?

For my husband's special W30MW, I substituted 2 tbsp. of apple cider vinegar for the 2 tbsp. of lemon juice. I used about 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of date paste (basically, a rounded scoop using a 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon), and liking Tom Denham's suggestion of adding a sweet spice but not wanting to use a strong flavor for this first attempt, I added 1/2 tsp. each of lemon zest and orange zest. Although I am NO FAN of Miracle Whip, I still thought the result was pretty darn tasty. Interestingly, the W30MW was much thicker than the mayo I had made (same eggs, same oil, same type of jar, same stick blender) just a few minutes before, although my mayo still had a lovely, creamy texture.

My husband was delighted with the surprise when he got home, and thought it was delicious. He is looking forward to having his second-favorite condiment (after ketchup - we have Whole30 compliant Tessemae's ketchup as well as his W30 homemade versions in our fridge at all times now) easily accessible. For future batches, he thinks I can actually add a little more of the ACV for more tanginess (he thought the sweetness level was just right), maybe bumping the ACV from 2 tbsp. to 3 tbsp. while keeping the other ingredients the same...

Archived