Canadians doing Whole30

Nemo

This is the first day of my 3rd Whole30.  I just completed one on August 17th, but didn't complete the Reintroduction phase properly and fell back into bad habits quickly.   I figure I may as well jump back on the wagon since I feel in control and better while doing Whole30.  I do have some challenges during the month so fingers crossed that they won't do me in.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are you located? I think there are a lot of Canadians on the forums so hopefully we'll see a lot of them join this group. I am in Nova Scotia. Lots of local farms & farmers' markets, so we're lucky. This is also my 3rd round. I learned a ton on my second round, which I hadn't really expected,  so I can't wait to see what I learn this time around.

I'm in Nova Scotia as well (Dartmouth to be specific).  Yes the farmers markets and fruit/vegetable stands are great resources.  I find disheartening that Whole30 compliant bacon cannot be found anywhere, even at the farmers market.  I go out to eat at least once a week with my husband and I find I order a lot of salads or seafood.  If I know where I'm going ahead of time, I review the menu online.  I have even brought my own dressing.

Hi! This is my first Whole 30 Round. I am waiting a week to start though, just too much going on this week with my son's first week at school to really commit fully. Plan on slowiy introducing some ideals this week then I can hit the ground running next week! I am in rural Alberta, and thankfully have a pretty decent garden to get me through with veggies for at least a couple weeks

Hello,  I live in British Columbia, in the interior, beautiful sunny Kelowna.   Apples are in season now and lots of veggies are available.

This is my first time doing the whole 30 and my husband is on board as well.   Lots of firsts actually, making ketchup, mayonnaise and ghee.  I will admit I was a bit  afraid of opening my first can of coconut milk LOL - it is all good!

Drinking my coffee black surprisingly has been an easy transition for me.  In January I cut out honey in my coffee, but still need the creamo and that transition took a long time to get used to.  

I am so ready for this whole 30.  Of course I would like to see a big drop in weight, but I am keeping an open mind of what surprises may come as a result of doing the whole 30. 

I threw my scale out last October and so not focusing on the numbers, but how I feel or how my clothes feel seems liberating instead of letting the number on the scale determine my success.  

I have had a good day 1 today!

SusanLeaf

Hi there! I am in Winnipeg, and starting my first Whole30 today! So much wonderful seasonal produce is available and I can't wait to get started feelin better and looking slimmer. 

I'm also not focusing on numbers, but rathar, wanting my clothes to fit better and to feel healthier. 

Hi there,

I am in Toronto and just finishing Day 16.  My husband is a butcher in a small shop in Markham (Village Grocer if you live around here) and sadly even their bacon is brined with sugar. :(  

Surprisingly I have mastered making mayo which is great as it is so useful in so many things. Week 1 I followed the book for the most part except for meals out.  I am eating more steaks out then I ever have but am justifying the expense of the steak as I am not drinking!  Had some tired and cranky days at the beginning and now can really tell if I don't eat around 5 hours apart.  As a former Weight Watcher's Queen, I originally found the meals huge but I am getting used to them now.  Sleep like a baby too which is pretty awesome.  

14 days to go!

Joanne

Nemo.... I think I might try some raw (uncured) bacon & see if I can't fry it up into a crispy treat, because you are right - compliant bacon is tough to find. At one of our local butcher shops the owner's son assured me "no sugar" but couldn't tell me what was in the "ham spice". I didn't buy it, and when I later asked the owner... ham spice has sugar in it. Sigh.

togirl.... steak is also my go to meal in restauants. Plus a baked potato. I also find there are never, ever, enough vegs (& salads can be a minefield), so I usually eat a bunch of whatever vegs I have in the fridge before going out, along with my own ghee or mayo, so I can skip the part where you closely quiz the server & they immediately panic & send up allergy warning flags in the kitchen. LOL!

Hello all! I'm in northern Ontario and am (re-) starting my first Whole30 after caving to the temptation of a few adult drinks over a cottage long weekend. I got through the whole week last week - including the tired, grumpy days - so I know I can do this. My biggest hurdle, believe it or not, has been drinking my coffee black. With a few food intolerances, I've learned already to prepare and enjoy meals without grains or legumes (and was never a big dairy eater), but I LOVE heavy cream in my one morning coffee!! Coconut cream just doesn't cut it for me. Good luck to all! I look forward to keeping in touch as we move through this together. Now off to make a big batch of Magical Chili!!

So I have my first challenge this weekend.  I'm going to a potluck.  Not sure what to bring.  I'm certain there will be meatballs and rice, nacho dip, something chocolate - the usual go-to for potlucks.  I'd like bring something with substance that I can enjoy and hopefully others.  Any suggestions?

Chocolate Chili, from Well Fed! http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

A pitcher of water infused with something you like, such as cucumbers or cantaloupe. Or club soda with a twist of lime & an olive. I love this for parties.

If you want to get really fancy, here are some ideas for party foods but I'm too lazy for most of this, except possibly kale chips (in case you will want a salty/crunchy thing while you are there), and there is a link for those on this page too.

Just make sure you eat your stuff before the rest of the pack cleans it out. ;)

I have my book club (pot luck)at my house for Sunday. I'll probably make fish cakes (a variant of the one in the W30 book), a salad (with nice dressing) and a fake hummus (made with caulilour). Raw veggies. Fruit. Maybe kale chips, if it cools down enough for me to want to turn oven on. One of the members is also doing W 30. She's bringing chicken. It doesn't really matter what anyone else brings now!!

Hey all

I am from Kingston, Ontario.  I am currently doing my 10th W30.  We also have a couple of good farmers markets and a local butcher that sells local pasture-raised beef and pork, along with free-range chicken and eggs.  My kids and my wife don't W30 but they are sympathetic.  

I have had fair success on this program and feel that W30 clearly has changed my life and my associations with food.  Don't get me wrong... I fall of the wagon (hard) sometimes but W30 is a comfortable, soft landing spot when I need to kick start my nutrition.  I have to admit that I don't spend too much time eating out as it is a bit of a bother (as you know).  When i first started W30, we were not allowed to eat potato.  Now that we are... the Steak and baked potato (have to check on butter not being added to both during cooking) suggestion is a good one plus "salads" but that can be tricky too.  

My first pot luck that I did was Rogan Josh (Well Fed) with cauliflower mash.  It was a lot of work but it was likely the best meal that I have ever had.

Well I suppose I should get back to work.  Keep your stick on the ice!!!

Cheers

DJ

I'm in Nova Scotia (Beaver Bank) and this is my 3rd W30.  The first two were successful and so far on day 7 and doing good.  I do have to keep reminding myself why I am doing this again so I don't resort back to eating what doesn't make me feel good and just eating wiithout interest to fill the gut.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎11 at 6:35 PM, brscott said:

I'm in Nova Scotia (Beaver Bank) and this is my 3rd W30.  The first two were successful and so far on day 7 and doing good.  I do have to keep reminding myself why I am doing this again so I don't resort back to eating what doesn't make me feel good and just eating wiithout interest to fill the gut.

Yes, that's the tough one, isn't it? I find it even tougher when my husband is home from his job out west b/c he has no interest in 3 balanced meals over the course of the day. Even worse, he's a great cook, so the slippery slope starts at suppertime. :) One of my goals this round is to try & figure out some strategies to work around this.... to keep my head in the game, as it were. Maybe some visualization of what's at the bottom of the slope would help? 

Epic Bars! I know I can get them through Amazon.ca but they seem kind of expensive to me. Has anyone been able to find something equivalent - a protein replacement - in Canada? I have found bars that are technically compliant, but they taste awful and definitely wouldn't qualify as protein.

6 hours ago, Seafarer said:

Epic Bars! I know I can get them through Amazon.ca but they seem kind of expensive to me. Has anyone been able to find something equivalent - a protein replacement - in Canada? I have found bars that are technically compliant, but they taste awful and definitely wouldn't qualify as protein.

No luck with the bars. I do buy a compliant beef jerky from Beretta Farms in Ontario. They use safflower oil, which isn't ideal, but is compliant. They are high protein and do not need refrigerating. Great to have on hand for emergencies.  berettafarms.com      They now sell to the rest of Canada via the frozen butcher (access from website)

good luck

So I made the chicken wings togirl suggested and the sweet and sour rainbow slaw that was on the same page.  It was sooo good and compliant.  That was the upside.  The downside was that I went off program and had some sweets.  But the next day I was back to full-fledged Whole30.

I'm going on vacation next week and am dreading that I won't be completely compliant but I'm going to do my best.  Bringing
"It Starts with Food" to read and keep Whole30 at the forefront.  I'm hoping to get to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to get some items not available in Canada (Naked Bacon!!) and at the same time foods I can eat while living in a hotel for 7 days.

Wish me luck!

Archived