Canadians doing Whole30

Nemo

23 hours ago, Nemo said:

So I made the chicken wings togirl suggested and the sweet and sour rainbow slaw that was on the same page.  It was sooo good and compliant.  That was the upside.  The downside was that I went off program and had some sweets.  But the next day I was back to full-fledged Whole30.

I'm going on vacation next week and am dreading that I won't be completely compliant but I'm going to do my best.  Bringing
"It Starts with Food" to read and keep Whole30 at the forefront.  I'm hoping to get to Whole Foods or Trader Joe's to get some items not available in Canada (Naked Bacon!!) and at the same time foods I can eat while living in a hotel for 7 days.

Wish me luck!

That's tough! Why don't you do an almost Whole 30, read the books, enjoy your vacation. Get back to Whole30 day 1 when you back home (with your compliant bacon!). I've been in a hotel for a couple of nights and I've  managed pretty well, but I'd find it really hard to be really compliant for longer than this. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/12/2016 at 11:17 PM, Seafarer said:

Epic Bars! I know I can get them through Amazon.ca but they seem kind of expensive to me. Has anyone been able to find something equivalent - a protein replacement - in Canada? I have found bars that are technically compliant, but they taste awful and definitely wouldn't qualify as protein.

I found something called Nick's Sticks that are like a compliant peperrette but with a different texture. My boyfriend liked them as a replacement for that or as a quick source of protein that you don't have to cook. They sell them around town in Ottawa. Cheaper than buying the epic bars off Amazon which I agree are also expensive, mostly because you have to buy a bunch at a time. Check out Nick's Sticks' website! They list their vendors in every city: http://www.nicks-sticks.com/ 

Just click on Store Locations in the very top right hand corner of the page.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda quiet in here......  how are ya'll doing?

After barty90 mentioned the Nicks Sticks I remembered that my local health foods store used to stock a compliant stick that was, apparently, worth almost as much as my car (small exaggeration), so I checked to see if they had been able to restock. Right inside the door, in the same location as the old sticks, displayed in the same old containers..... but no. Not compliant. Darn. But.... think how much money I saved. LOL!

I have been cleaning out my garden & making jars & jars of things like tomato sauce & soups.... all compliant. Should help with staying on track this winter.

Hope everyone is doing well, even if staying quiet. ;)

I am in Pitt Meadows, British Columbia. I started on Sept 12, so day 17 for me.  This is my 5th Whole30. I will be going away for Thanksgiving so I probably won't be giving it the full 30 days but I will start again when I get back.  Since I have already got a handle on what foods work for me and what foods don't, I do a Whole30 every so often to clean up my diet. It never goes completely off track but I feel so much better after Whole30, it is my go-to for feeling good.  Good luck everyone!

Trying to do Whole30 while on vacation was a bust.  But I'm not going to dwell on it.  I did learn something though.  When I ate processed foods and fast food I developed a cough.  I had it the majority of my vacation.   When I returned home and started the program again, the cough subsided.  Something to consider next time I want a food that's not compliant.  Day 5 and feeling fine!  Thanks for yor words FranE.

Hey all

I finished my September W30 and I am relaxing a "bit" this week.  We have family Thanksgiving on Sunday at my Sister's house.  I will not try to be compliant on Thanksgiving but I will be mindful.  I plan do do another W30 starting Monday (10th).  

This next part will be a little graphic so stop reading if you want.  Before my September W30, I developed a bit of a distressing outcome from the "normal food diet" being that I routinely (anywhere from 2-10 times per day) would throw up a bit in my mouth after eating for quite some time after both lunch and dinner.  The quality and nutritional value of the food was generally pretty low.  

Fortunately, this "food re-visiting" completely went away when I did my W30 in September (which ended last Thursday).  However, there are signs that the "re-visiting" is returning after relaxing a bit this week.  Seems to be triggered with dairy-based meals but not exclusively (sugar too).  I will be monitoring this.  No sense talking to my Doctor about this as he is generally nutritionally challenged.  I think I may have to do some more personal research on this one.

Thanks for listening!

DJ

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, 

I'm in New Brunswick and finished my first round on October 4th!
Right now I'm in the process of putting together a list of compliant products that you can buy in Canada (not necessarily from Canadian manufacturers though). This all started when the Whole30 facebook page asked us Canadians for suggestions. Eventually they posted a blog post for us but quite honestly (and this may be my personal opinion) it fell short. Now I'm a girl on a mission. 
So please tell me what name brands do you buy for Whole30 that fit into the following categories : Protein, Nuts & Seeds, Healthy Fats, Condiments, Canned Goods, Produce?

Thanks! 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, VivaLaMeredith said:

Hi All, 

I'm in New Brunswick and finished my first round on October 4th!
Right now I'm in the process of putting together a list of compliant products that you can buy in Canada (not necessarily from Canadian manufacturers though). This all started when the Whole30 facebook page asked us Canadians for suggestions. Eventually they posted a blog post for us but quite honestly (and this may be my personal opinion) it fell short. Now I'm a girl on a mission. 
So please tell me what name brands do you buy for Whole30 that fit into the following categories : Protein, Nuts & Seeds, Healthy Fats, Condiments, Canned Goods, Produce?

Thanks! 

I completely agree with you. Especially since Amazon was listed as a resource. I'm pretty sure we all knew amazon had the products but I'm not sure many people are willing to spend $93.68 on an 8-pack of Epic bars. Or $31.50 on a jar of mayo. To me the price is so limiting, that amazon is definitely not an option.

Looking forward to hearing what people come up with. Personally I make almost everything so I don't have a tonne of ideas but what I do use: salmon & tuna from Costco, Jamie Oliver sausages from Thrifty's/Sobeys, bacon from my british butcher. I think maybe the problem is that across the country we don't really have any consistency in grocery or brands.

Greetings fellow Canadians !!!!  Alberta girl here :)

I attempted whole30 a few weeks ago and I was doing really well.  I got to day 12 and i completely fell off the wagon.  I'm talkin' head hitting the ground, not being able to catch up, wagon taking off without me.  Got in to a bad mindset, "well, i fell off the wagon - what's the point in starting again".  Bad, I know.  Plus I'm prone to chronic migraines and they started acting up in a huge way, so the exercise tapered off and I just didn't get back to anything.

I Just went through a bit of a scare this past weekend after being taken to the ER Friday night.  I wont bore y'all with the details but i'm sitting here resting and trying to figure out my health.  I'm going to go to Superstore tomorrow and load up on the groceries I need to help me with my round 2 of whole 30.  I wanted to prep this weekend but that was out of the question.

I love to plan and prep (who just said that?) so you'd think it wouldnt be difficult.  I'm not a coffee drinker and I have battled ovarian cancer but contrary to what that one sentence says, yes, I find the plan hard.  But I think that's just mostly in my head.  I need to figure out what works for me and get over that "hard" hurdle.  My husband is VERY supportive and that is huge for me :)  I don't have anyone here to workout with and I find that difficult.  If I knew i had someone waiting to meet me at the gym, my butt would be there more often.  Another hurdle I must get over.

I wish you all the best of luck and I'm going to tackle this the best I can !!! I'm glad there is a Canadian section in the forum I can turn to :)

Rock on Canadians !!!!!

November - new month, new Whole30 start.  I continue to fall back into old eating habits when I'm not 100% on the program so it's better for me to get back at it.

Rocknrollwife - do you want an accountable buddy for exercise?

VivaLaMeredith - for your food list - no name diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes and crushed tomatoes from Superstore.

• 1 month later...

I am starting January 3 on my 6th Whole30 (a couple not for the full 30). I desperately need a reset for mind & body and the Whole30 never fails to disappoint.  I am in Pitt Meadows, British Columbia. I am hoping there are some other Canadians starting in the New Year. Feel free to join this thread no matter when you are starting, here's to a fresh start in 2017!

Excited for Day 1. Spent Sun/Mon food prepping, breakfast hash, grilled chicken, garden salad, roasted potatoes both baby white & sweet, marinated brussel sprouts to fry up, prepared a shepherds pie and mayo.  I'm set for the week!  Good luck to everyone starting in January! :D

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎25 at 3:03 PM, VivaLaMeredith said:

Right now I'm in the process of putting together a list of compliant products that you can buy in Canada (not necessarily from Canadian manufacturers though).  

Hi all!

Viva... how did you make out with your list? Like ladyshanny, I pretty much make everything... I got tired of reading labels &/or paying exorbitant prices for things just b/c they're compliant, but I'd still be interested in what you found.

I was totally blown away the other day... I was in a wee little roadside stand that sells mostly produce from the attached farm, and lo & behold, they were selling compliant bone broth. I have never, ever been able to find compliant bone broth! I almost asked if the owner is a W30 person.

The one thing I miss, and can't make, is bacon. :( Any suggestions, anyone?

Nick's Sticks is too expensive off Amazon, and I haven't found them locally (rural Nova Scotia), so I decided to try making dehydrated jerky. Note to self... never double a recipe until *after* it is perfected. Yikes. It wasn't terrible, but a little bit of hot peppers goes a lonnnnnng way! :blink:

Anyway... looking forward to everyone's progress through January.

18 hours ago, kruddock said:

Good luck to everyone starting in January! :D

Yum! Shepherds pie sounds perfect. We had an ice storm here last night. I wanted to stay home and be cozy, but it was my first day back at work. Packing lunches is a lot of work and I miss sitting down at a table with proper plates and cutlery.

How has your week been? Any challenges?

15 hours ago, Seafarer said:

The one thing I miss, and can't make, is bacon. :( Any suggestions, anyone?

The list was and is fantastic. It is posted over on my journal thread and was updated this morning.
Link--> 

It has all sorts of 'ingredient' type items, like tomatoes, mustard, etc, and not just convenience foods. I make pretty much everything from scratch other than a few convenience items here and there.  

About Bacon- I have been purchasing pork belly at a local health food store, slicing thin and frying that up in ghee. It is a special treat and I think is better than bacon! It becomes crispy in the ghee, but soggy in olive oil.

VivaLaMeredith.... Fantastic List! Thanks for compiling & sharing! Very helpful. Also... will try the pork belly idea. Thank you.

Did anyone else join Real Plans? I wasn't going to, simply b/c I am comfortable with cooking big batches of a couple of things & then working my way through those, and when I get bored I look up new recipes & work on those for a while. But my hubby's comment "I guess I'll be doing more cooking", made when I said I was W30'ing in Jan, made me rethink that idea. Ha Ha!! More variety is called for, methinks. I was pleasantly surprised with the variety & choice on the menu (I only signed up for a month), and the ability to customize.... for example, I currently don't have any pork in my freezer, so I requested "no pork". Also no wild game, for the same reason. I was also thinking about deleting exotically-sourced ingredients, but so far when a recipe pops up with one of those, & I can't think of a good substitute, I have just played Recipe Roulette until something pops up with just local ingredients in it. It's a lazy way of menu planning, but so far is proving useful, in spite of my earlier hesitation.

Day 2 of Whole30 and feeling pretty good, but it's still early in the day for me!  Day 1 started off okay apart from the evening, I was kind of miserable but I got through it with no snacking or self-medicating.  On the food prep side, I try to make things simple most of the time unless I am feeling adventurous. I grill proteins, roast veggies & starchy carbs separately and then mix and match depending on the mood I'm in.  I will add a health fat and/or sauce or some spiced-up mayo to make things interesting. I make my own mayo which is way better than any store-bought and I have a few Whole30 compliant seasonings I rely on. Thai Kitchen red curry paste is one of my favorites, just add coconut milk and protein/veggies and simmer. I also use coconut aminos and marinades (always check ingredients). I also make 2 prepared meals on the weekend, one breakfast-type dish, i.e. breakfast hash, frittata; one supper-type, i.e. shepherds pie, hearty soup, stews, chili; but really you can eat any type of meal at any time.  My self-imposed challenges this time around are getting in enough water each day and absolutely no snacking, even if its compliant. I am also eliminating nuts and coffee, they mess with my digestion.

I hope everyone is doing well on Day 2! :D

Hey fellow Canadians! Newbie here, day 2 today! I'm hoping you don't mind me following along this post, definitely good to have some helpful tips from you all! I'm from the Okanagan in BC, looking to lose a bit of weight but also address my eczema and my stomach/bowel issues (maybe tmi haha) using W30! Hope everyone has a great day :)

Welcome I.chev, I'm in Pitt Meadows, BC!  The Whole30 will definitely help with your issues, just make sure you follow the recommended template meals, no snacking, drink enough water and salt your food. Take a look at the timeline to know what you may experience during your journey and you'll do great! :D

5 minutes ago, l.chev said:

looking to lose a bit of weight but also address my eczema and my stomach/bowel issues (maybe tmi haha) using W30! 

Hi! Glad to have you here! I'd say for success do just what Kruddock says...follow both the rules and regulations of Whole30 and you'll do fine. 
Focus on the food, and your Non Scale Victories (not weight loss) and you'll do great!

Started on January 1st. Really need to clean up my act after the holiday season. I usually keep pretty close to W30-the first W30 changed my whole approach to eating, so now I live a mainly paleo lifestyle. Holdidays have thrown it off a bit ( one too many paleo "truffles"!). Good to get back to basics. I mostly prepare my own stuff; it is cheaper and tastes better. I am only planning on doing this for 18 days, because I'm travelling after then for a couple of months and it is too difficult to keep strict W30, on the road. 

Just sent myself into a panic because I read the ingredients on my Lush lip balm and it contains sugar and soy! Luckily I scoured the forums for answers and as long as I'm not eating it then it's ok to keep using, phewf! I know it's only a day and half of progress to have lost but I would have been crushed! When they say sugar is in everything, they aren't lying!! 

Archived