Starting October 15

I know the Hartwigs' recommend just diving right in but it has taken our family a couple of months to start the Whole30 plan. We have been following a "paleo template" since last spring. It has been a slow process to make changes in our diets over the past 8 months. We have cut out grains with the exception of rice, but we haven't been as diligent with our children. I would still make scratch bread for our girls so they could make sandwiches. My girls and I would have a baking weekend of making scratch cookies to have as treats. My husband, Brian, and I have debated how far do we want to take it as a family and what do we feel is really necessary. My husband attended the Ancestral Health Symposium this past August in Boston and that is how we heard about the Whole 9/Whole 30 program. Brian is a professor in the Health and Exercise Science Department at Truman State University and I am finishing my PhD in Public Health and Nutrition Education at Kansas State University (yes, we are going on our second year of living apart), so we have been really looking at changing our diet to more paleo not because "well, that is what my ancestors ate" but doing what we felt was right for our family and what does the scientific literature say.

I will be starting the Whole30 program on October 15th along with a friend of mine that I live with. My husband and girls will be starting the program on Oct 22nd. I will be visiting them the 18-22nd so I will be setting up meal plans for him and the girls. My husband has a an intolerance to beans, so we limit those already, but my oldest daughters favorite food is chili. Our oldest daughter, Lilly (age 7), has always had an intolerance to products made with soybean oils. She tested negative to soy allergies, but when ever she eats a food with soybean oil in it (margarine, cream cheese, salad dressing, pizza sauce) then she will have a mild, short term rash on her face where ever the product touched her. She typically has stomach aches and has never had the best bowel movements. Our youngest, Ally (age 4), is the cutest little, gassy girl you will have ever met. Who knows what causes her to be so gassy. We will do the best we can to keep the girls on the Whole30 by packing their lunches and snacks for school. We know there may be instances where they may eat a food that is not on the Whole30 food list when at friends houses or at school but we will control what we can for them and see how it improves their GI funciton. The big challenge I see coming up is Halloween!!! Brian and I plan to follow the program as structured, obviously.

I have never had food intolerances other than being lactose intolerant before having children. During my pregnancies I craved milk and could all of a sudden drink milk without any side effects. That continued after pregnancy so I have kept milk and milk products in my diet. That is probably the the one non-paleo food that I have kept in my diet up to this point (well, now that I think about it the occasional dark chocolate, honey/sweeteners, and some processed foods occasionally). Finished off my last container of Chobani Greek yogurt this morning and will have my last dash of 1/2&1/2 in my tea tomorrow. I am excited to see if I notice any changes.

Another reason I really want to try the Whole30 challenge is on September 11 I developed a sever allergic reaction, with a nasty rash on 1/3 of my body and major edema. Between 5 doctors, no one was able to determine what caused it. They know it was an internal systemic reaction but no idea what caused it. I had a biopsy, several blood tests ran, and have been on a lot of medications. When you are an overall healthy individual and you become so sick, it scares the crap out of you. The experience has caused me to want to control as much of my environment as possible.

I don't have high expectations set for myself or my family. We are active in cycling, trail running and cross-fit. Overall we have diets that evolve around protein, vegetables, and fruit. Maybe getting rid of the milk products and only having 1-2 servings of fruit a day will help me get closer to my body composition goals, maybe it won't. But I am not only looking at this as a diet change alone, I will be working on stress relievers (hello!! I am a PhD student who lives 5 hours away from her children and husband) and getting that 8-9 hours of sleep every night so my 15-16 hours awake are more productive. I am excited to learn from this. Also, the reason I am starting Monday and not today is that I have an 8 hour road trip tomorrow to Poplar Bluff, MO to complete my first Tough Mudder. I figure why set myself up for failure? But I am going to try and keep my goals in mind this weekend even though it will a 56 hour party with 20 of my closest friends.

Wow! It's exciting to see all of the things you are working on. And it's great that you and your husband are two health professionals who are following paleo.

I don't worry about my kids that much. I figure they are going to have to learn good food choices for themselves to some degree, and the most important things I can do is model good eating and provide good food options.

Good luck with the Tough Mudder! I just did a mud run a couple of weeks ago. But it was a relatively gentle 5k.

I'm on board with starting Oct. 15 too. Count me in! I did a Whole 30 several months ago, which turned into a Whole60, but this past month I've been slipping. Now I'm dealing with allergies and digestive issues. Need to clean things up! This will be the first time doing a Whole30 on line. I'm also dragging out my (literally, half-dog eaten) "It Starts with Food" to remember why I'm here.

I've got two grown children, and have found that there's only so much you can do to influence their diet. The best is to live by example, and never go overboard with the self-righteousness. I always feed them delicious paleo eats when they visit, and we often discuss nutrition and fitness. I'm happy to say, I feel they're both health conscious and very fit (much fitter than i was at their age).

Yay! So excited to be starting on this day also... Thank ALL of you for having an accessible community where I already feel so connected to... I have dabbled on and off over the past few years with a "low carb" lifestyle but the whole30 just seems to make sense. Eat real, whole, good, food. Period.

Here we go!!!

My sister and I have started (me today, she yesterday)

We are both pretty active but getting older comes with aches and pains we can't find the root of...so on the advice of our trainer here we go!!!!!!! She loves to cook, I hate the kitchen, should be a great experience for both of us.

We have both been wheat free for a while now, so this is the next step. I will really miss dairy as I pretty much live on greek yoghurt at "snack" times.

Support is helpful, so I look forward to following along with all of you for the next 30 days!

Congrats to all for starting.......

I started today with awesome scrambled eggs my daughter made this morning when she and my grandkkds came for breakfast. I am being strongly encouragex by my daughter who finished her first 30 days very successfully. She looks so good. I am very proud of her. And she finally told me I need to do something good for my health. I have aches and pains all the time. Hoping that this complete nutrition change helps me not only to get rid of those aches and pains, but also a couple of minor health issues I have. Will definitely stick to this. Otherwise, I'll not only be dissapointed with myself, but I'll also dissapoint my daughter.

I am starting tomorrow, 10/15 too. I am a celiac who has been suffering with lots of bloating and aches and pains lately, so I am hoping that this will help me determine what is the cause of this recent discomfort. Looking forward to getting started! Amy

I was very excited to see the replies last night when returning from my Tough Mudder weekend. It is wonderful to have a good support group. Arrived home at about 6:30pm, threw away some condiments in the fridge, finished my grocery list and went to the store. I was hoping to prep some food last night for the first few days this week, but my bed was calling me. I ended up with 9 hours of sleep last night, which will definitely help with my recovery. Off to the gym and back to prep some food, then off to work. This will be a good first day.

I'm starting today, too! I've "tried out" the Whole30 lifestyle for a few days (and max 1.5 weeks) at a time. This time around it's official - I signed up for the daily e-mail and actually prepared a ton of compliant-food to steam me ahead (chop vegies, cut sweet-potatoes into frie-shapes, made ISWF pesto, mayo and dreamy avacado dressing, cooked and prepared spaghetti squash, hard-boiled eggs << should have peeled them, too! and cooked some turkey cutlets). Phew!

My husband and I started the Whole30 today as well. I have been following a somewhat Paleo diet since May so i thought this would be easier than never having done anything at all. However day one is a challenge. I already miss cheese and when 5 o'clock roles around I'll miss my cocktail. I just pulled out some paleo banana muffins for my kids after school snack and they smell so good. I'm ready for day one to be done so I can say I made it. Wishing you all the best on this health journey.

Kitchen is closed at my house. Today was successful for me. No slips or cravings. Felt satisfied all day. With my previous low calorie eating I was hungry within a hr after eating. Felt satisfied all day, but not full either.

How did everyone do???

I am packed and prepped for day 2.

Glad to hear of everyone's successes, and hoping the rest of you did well too.

I have been eating fairly strict paleo, and loving the Whole30 (turned Whole 60) I completed a few months ago. This month has been a little more challenging, and last week I wasn't only off the wagon, but being dragged underneath. So today I did have cravings. Mostly "just" for sugar. I took a lot of long walks (even managed to slip away while at work), and enjoyed the beautiful fall sunshine! Otherwise I had a successful day, and know the cravings will only be short term. Just sticking to meat and veggies and duck eggs while they last!

Day one went well overall. One thing I did that I really tried not to was drink a cup of coffee at 4pm. I am not a morning coffee drinker, I am a 3pm coffee drinker. I did manage to have it black. I know that I ate less kcal than I typically do even with the added fat, so I am going to bed slightly hungry. To try and help with that I am having some herbal tea. I have my food planned out for tomorrow. Throwing food into the crockpot in the am so it is ready when I arrive home tomorrow after my workout. The tricky part tomorrow is that I have two workouts, one am and one pm. So, I need to make sure I have my pre/post workout meals packed and ready so I don't come home starving and then eat what I shouldn't. I also started thinking about what I am going to consume for my morning meal before my trail 1/2 marathon this weekend and what I will be consuming during the race. I always have oatmeal before a race (even when I cut out grains) and have GU shots during the race. It will be interesting to try some different things. I did have cravings at about 2pm. Feel good overall.

I started yesterday too, the 15th (well here in Australia anyway!). I cut the sugar out five days before hand while in USA so my poor boyfriend didn't get his head bitten off. I'm a long haul flight attendant and I can already tell my biggest challenge will be managing my food on 14 hour flights between LA and Sydney, not to mention the limited cooking availability in hotel rooms. I do have a neat trick of baking fish in foil on the iron however! Xo Sarah

I also started on October 15th! I feel your pain about your busy schedule. I am a law student with 3 part time jobs, but I feel like I need to take time to make me a better me. I began eating a Paleo diet last spring, but fell off this summer when I didn't make healthy habits a priority. I can definitely feel a difference in my ability to concentrate when I remove gluten and carbohydrates from my diet. I also have much better digestive and skin health without gluten and diary. So, I realized the time is now and I need to quit making excuses. Looking forward to positive changes. Good luck to everyone this month!

Made it through another day! Yeah. I asked my husband what has been the toughest thing for him so far in our short couple days and he said giving up the snack he is used to. He used to mindlessly eat chips, crackers, etc. between meals. However the results for him (he did start cutting out bread about a month prior to this start) have been very noticeable. His face is much slimmer and the gut he was carrying has disappeared. Now I can actually say to his face that he had a big gut. It was like a baby. My craving yesterday was so strong for diet coke it was ridiculous. Anyone else having cravings that are down right brutal?

Archived