Starting October 15

Survived day 2 with no issues. From what I hear day 3 adn 4 can be tough days. Armed and ready with some good meals planned, and need to make sure I get some good water intake in too!

Noticed I was a bit tired getting up this am but was fine once I did. I am only getting 7 hrs of sleep and really would like to gett 8, but going to bed at 9pm to do so is so hard!

Make it a great day 3 all!~!

AMY

Yesterday was a tough day because in the afternoon I got very tired due to little sleep the night before. Then my dad suprised me by being in town and taking me out to dinner. I took him some place I knew I could still easily stick to my diet. What I forgot was they serve this yummy bread with your meal, but I managed to push it away even though it was staring at me saying "eat me". No major cravings so far, just in the afternoon when I have a dip in energy I want something sugary. Yesterday I had some tea and it helped. I was so tired yesterday that I want to bed at 7pm, but typically I only get 7 hrs of sleep. Here is to hoping day 3 and 4 are not bad, wishful thinking.

How is everyone doing?? Today is day 5 already. I am remaining strong a bit tired but no cravings or anything so far. Weekend will probably be a bit tougher mainly because I normally don't want to cook on the weekends. We decided no takeout or eating out the whole 30.

A

Why am I doing this again?

My actual diet is doing fine, no slips. But the temptations are there and the planning around family activities are going to be challenging.

I am increasing my carbs yesterday, today and tomorrow because of a trail 1/2 marathon on Sunday by consuming 2-3 servings of fruit and a baked sweet potato each day with my other vegetables. Yesterday, I was slightly struggling, I wasn't necessarily craving anything specific but the coffee shop that I was working at in the afternoon had all of these yummy smells. Last week they didn't seem to bother me while yesterday all I wanted to do was go up and order a fresh cinnamon roll. I made the 5 hour drive last night to NE Missouri from Manhattan, KS. I typically have an iced coffee with cream or a small shake on my drive. I avoided both, but had some grapes and almonds on the drive. Yesterday my workout was a strugge to get through, because of low energy, and I couldn't do anything explosive.

I also found out last night my brother will be hosting a barn party next weekend. Meat will probably be the only thing I will be able to consume. There may be some vegetables, but there will be desserts, baked beans, potato salad, beer etc... I can take a salad with me and eat the meat they grill. I was trying to convince myself last night that it will be okay to drink wine at the party.....

Tonight we have the fall festival for my daughters school, my daughters and husband plan to eat there while I will be eating before I go, because the foods are not on the plan (bbq beef, hot dogs, soups from an area restaurant). Tomorrow we are going to tailgate for Truman's homecoming fb game that is hosted by the university's president. Again, I am going to pack my own food.

The race on Sunday will have feed zones (pretzels, hammer gels, peanut M&Ms) and post race food. But, again non of it falls within the plan, I will be carrying my own bananas on the run and packing my own post-race food. My husband plans to partake in it all.

I asked my husband last night if he was still planning to start the challenge. He says yes, but I am not sure if he will actually do it. When I arrived last night he was snacking on cucumbers and cheese. I wanted to slug him.

The point to this rant is that LIFE makes it a very challenging challenge. I have contemplated doing a 60 day challenge, but my daugther's birthday is the 19th of November and I will be making her a scratch cake. I am planning to make a gluten free Thanksgiving my mother, sister, husband, daughters, sister-in-law, brother-in-law, and mother and father-in-law. But they are requesting green bean casserole, so I was going to make the mushroom soup from scratch and make carmalized onions to go on top. Again, I am trying to decide whether to only do gluten free for Thanksgiving or exclude milk and all sugars.

Have to keep my focus even while LIFE throws these curves because it could be so easy to do what is easy.

I allowed the weekend to turn into complete chaos, thus I am starting the challenge over. My family has decided they are going to start the challenge after the first of the year, which I am okay with. My husband is going to work developing meals plans that work for him and our girls. Plus, come January, I will be living with them again under one roof.

On Saturday we were away from the house from 11am-5pm. My husband packed me some fruit and almonds to snack on. We were rushing around to get out of the house so I didn't get a salad made or grab any other protein. At the tailgate, while my family ate hotdogs, pork loin sandwiches, chips and cookies, I snacked on the pork loin. I ate dinner Saturday night with the family but was famished, and at this point I was still on track. I was psychologically hating it from the logistics of it while visiting my family because we were not eating the same things. Now comes my downfall, went to the grocery store that evening hungry, cranky, and lethargic, guess what came home with me? Donuts! I don't eat donuts!! Maybe once every 4-6 months I would have a donut. Then once the donut crossed my lips, I said "screw it" regarding packing my own food for during my 1/2 trail marathon on Sunday and post-race food. I ate the food/GUs provided at the aid stations and the pizza, cookies at the finish line. The donut did make me feel bloated as I was going to bed. The race did go well and I ran faster than expected considering the lack I training I have done the past month due to being sick.

So, now what? Well, those are the choices that I made and you just have to move past them. Yesterday, I picked myself back up and started eating my challenge foods again. So here is the succeeding the second time around.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived