Renew Life's Cleanse More and Probiotics

TamaraD.

hello:

I am on my day 20 of the program and things are going  well. at the start of the program i used more fruits and raw veggies  that exacerbated my IBS. however i was able to address it with consuming less fruit, well cooked veggies and some supplements that i would like to get feedback on.

for years i have been using supplements for bowel movement, past couple of years - Cleanse More.  I have been suffering with the chronic constipation(more than 25 years) and this supplement helped. thought some mornings  i notice  i have very loose stool.

i also started taking taking Ultimate Flora probiotics by Renew Life to help elevate IBS and address loose stool.

i was wondering if taking these are acceptable on the program, as well as what others on the program use, if any at all and what general guideline is for people on the program with chronic constipation. 

thanks!

Hi @TamaraD.

Probiotics are fine so long as there are no off plan ingredients.

For bowel movements are you using a magnesium supplement, and drinking plenty of water? Or have you tried using ground flaxseed? It;s difficult to comment on the 'Cleanse More' without knowing ingredients - can you list them for us?

hi jmcbn,

thank you for the feedback.

here are the ingredients per serving of 2 tablets: (i only take one):

• magnesium, 230mg, as magnesium oxide
  • proprietary blend- 1200 mg and consists of:
  • Cape Aloe leaf
  • Rhubarb root
  • Slippery Elm Bark
  • Marshmallow root
  • Triphala ( Blend of Chebulic myrobalan fruit, amla fruit, and Belleric myrobain fruit)
  • other ingredients : Vegetable capsule ( vegetable fiber and water)

thanks!

Ok, so there's magnesium in this supplement.

I'll be honest and say I've no idea what the other ingredients do - so many of these supplements contain ingredients that purport to provide minerals you can otherwise get in abundance from food and I'm a little leery of them, particularly when taken long term. 

To be honest I'd suggest sticking with a good magnesium (& possibly combined calcium) supplement which may well be cheaper & more efficient.

hi Jmcbn,

thank you !  Can you recommend  good magnesium (& possibly combined calcium) supplement ? what is amount of magnesium one should take on dily bases to address  the chronic constipation ? is there any general guidline?

thanks again,

-Tamara

Where are you?

Most of our US/Canadian members take Natural Calm - the original one is compliant.

I'm in the UK and I take a magnesium citrate supplement - citrate is absorbed more easily than oxide - I don't recall the brand, but I get it from a local health store. The RDA in the UK is 300mg per day (for a non pregnant female)

You can also take magnesium transdermally - you can by oils/sprays which are applied to the skin and are now thought to be even more bioavailable than the supplements.

hi Jmcbn,

i am in US/Boston.

I will check out  local health store. i am sure Magnesium Citrate  will be available. Transdermall application must be new, i have never heard of it. i will look into it.

thank you once more for all your good suggestions and help.

-Tamara

You may find you have good luck incorporating fermented foods to help digestion too. I know kombucha, water kefir, and sauerkraut all have loads of healthy bacteria to help things move along (just make sure no sugar is added after the first fermentation. Gt's is a nation wide brand of booch that has no sugar after first ferment.)

• 1 year later...

Hello I did the Renew detox before because it a was recommended component to add to going keto. I started that but couldn't stay with it.  However I found that when i did detox it helped. Has anyone tried it during this program?

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Sage21 said:

Hello I did the Renew detox before because it a was recommended component to add to going keto. I started that but couldn't stay with it.  However I found that when i did detox it helped. Has anyone tried it during this program?

We don't recommend doing cleanses or detoxes as part of this program.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Sage21 said:

Can u eplain just so I know in the future? Thanks for responding!:)

The Whole30 asks you to eat 3 meals a day according to the template, spaced 4-5 hours apart of protein, fat and veggies.  Most cleanses and detox programs are restrictive in some way.

Some cleanses and detox programs also ask you to eat or drink things intended to cause your colon to spasm and cause excessive pooping, which is not natural.

Finally, even if you could find a detox or cleanse that fit in well with the whole30 rules and recommendations, to what would you attribute success and failure?  The detox or the program? If you had some great improvements in how you felt, would you know what it was from?  If you experienced side effects, would you know what it was from?

The Whole30 program is its own program in its entirety and if you choose to do it, we encourage you to do it as written for 30 days without adding other protocols in to avoid confusion and to allow the program to give you the best results.

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 6:35 AM, TamaraD. said:

hi jmcbn,

thank you for the feedback.

here are the ingredients per serving of 2 tablets: (i only take one):

• magnesium, 230mg, as magnesium oxide
  • proprietary blend- 1200 mg and consists of:
  • Cape Aloe leaf
  • Rhubarb root
  • Slippery Elm Bark
  • Marshmallow root
  • Triphala ( Blend of Chebulic myrobalan fruit, amla fruit, and Belleric myrobain fruit)
  • other ingredients : Vegetable capsule ( vegetable fiber and water)

thanks!

Just a suggestion to add more beets to your diet, cooked or raw, they are the great eliminator :) just a thought for you.

Archived