Check Up

homerfrizzell

I finished my Whole 30 on 9/26. I had a regularly scheduled check up today. The big news: my blood pressure is "excellent" and I am cleared to reduce my Rx dosage by half. The goal is to eventually stop taking it entirely but since I've been taking it for fifteen or so years it has to be done gradually. I have a followup appointment with my doctor in January.

Blood work is pending.

Have a great day, everyone.

Homer

And now the blood work: Doc says the results are quite different from last year's and we should talk.

I think he's talking about these numbers -

Total Cholesterol: 298

HDL: 93

LDL (Calculated): 195

Triglycerides: 49

I've read that if your ratio of Triglycerides to HDL is under 2.0 you're in good shape so I've got that going for me. However, if your total cholesterol is over 300 (mine's just shy) there could be some inflammation. GD it - I may be jumping back on the Whole 30 wagon, autoimmune style.

I'm going to see if I can locate last year's results (I think total cholesterol was 245) and will give him a call either tomorrow or Monday.

Any thoughts in the meantime are welcome.

I am not a doctor, but one thing that needs to be taken into account in that total cholesterol number is that your HDL is excellent. I am not sure of what is considered "too high" for this good cholesterol, but your total includes a good number! Will be interested to hear what your doctor says!

Homer, i've posted a bunch about cholesterol levels and what it could mean. Do some digging around the site for those.

Chris Kresser just launched a new "high cholesterol action plan" product on his site that may be of interest.

Did you have your CRP tested, btw? That's a good indicator of inflammation status.

Renée,

Will do. I'm not seeing CRP on this test - the categories Quest Diagnostics/my doc include tend to differ a bit each time. In the past it has been excellent.

I do have some CBC numbers that are "Out of Range". I will look into Kresser's work and hit Chris Masterjohn's site as well.

Thank you.

I was also going to mention a Robb Wolf podcast that I listened to recently. And Chris Kresser was the guest, discussing his cholesterol action plan (a September podcast). I learned more about cholesterol and blood lipids in that hour than I have in the whole rest of my life! Best of luck on figure out your numbers and where to go next.

Hey sorry to see the news may be getting you down. Hope the sit down with the doc turns out better then you anticipate. Your responses have helped me along the way this past few weeks. Wish I could offer more, just my thoughts.

Hang tough.

Brent

ginsinnot,

I listened to that podcast but was only half listening to it on the subway thinking it didn't really apply to me. I'll give it a relisten.

Brent,

Thank you. I am down a bit but I've also been reading that levels could be high when you are detoxing so I am optimistic. I also I take solace in the HDL number (thank you, kb0426). I'll call my doc on Monday and go from there - he's a reasonable guy - I think he may want to do another blood test. If so I'll ask for CRP and other measurements based on going back to the podcast, etc.

Have a great weekend.

Archived