First Whole30 beginning September 10, 2016

A New Me

I am excited to start my first Whole30.  I got my book this week and I am busy planning meals and making my shopping list so I can start this Saturday.  I have convinced my husband to do this with me (yay for support system at home.)  I have tried and failed at diets in the past, so I am looking at this to be a lifestyle change—not a diet.   Weight loss would be nice, but really I am looking to just feel better--more energetic.  I tend to not sleep all the way through the night and if I do, I still wake up tired.  I am addicted to carbs (starting with sweet creamer in my coffee in the am and then continuing with bad snacking and food choices the rest of the day) and I am really hoping that the Whole30 can help me break that addiction.  I also suffer from some IBS issues.  Other than that, I am in relatively good health.  My husband on the other hand suffers from high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, and sleep issues.  I am really hoping this change will help us both.

If you have any helpful suggestions, favorite recipes, etc, please share…..I will need all the help I can get :) 

Hi. I also started on the 10th Sept. This will be my 4th  (1 completed and 2 partials). The last one I did was earlier this year and I got to day 21 before I got viral gastro and stopped. This round the things I am doing differently are 1. Prepping my work lunches on the Sunday and freezing them so I don't feel like a slave to the kitchen ever night, 2. I'm on Instagram this round and have made myself a special account separate to my everyday account. I feel by posting my meals I'm somewhat photo journaling how I am going and if I run into any issues over the next 26 days I can look back and see my serving sizes. Plus I get pretty slack writing things down. Plus each post I do I've been using the hashtag #iamdoingthisforme which is motivating in itself (I don't know why though). I also had a big prep day on Sunday and made a lot of things to help me out during the work week. 

My history is I was diagnosed as coeliac 3 years ago and have been gf since. I suspect I have a dairy intolerance but I love cheese so a good 30 days off it will do me good. I have a lot of joint pain and walking up stairs my knees crack loudly so inflammation I feel is an issue for me at the moment and I also think I've been in a pretty bad relationship with sugar. From my 1st full whole 30 I know sugar brings out anxiety in me so I'm more aware of that at the moment. I need to work on not acting like a rebellious teenager after the whole30 and instead of killing all the things be eating all the sugars! 

Im married but doing this be myself (husband will eat the same dinners) and I feel pretty self motivated at the moment and surprisingly calm at this point in time. I'm happy to be a support buddy if you need it. 

All the best. 

I am on Day 6.  Eating compliant food has been much easier than I anticipated and I have don't feel like I've had any of the ill effects yet (hangover, kill all the things) so I feel I have been lucky.

Sleep has been the worst part for me--I am waking up about every 2 hours and if it is 2:00 am or after, I am having a difficult time falling back asleep until 5:00 am or so (I get up at 6:00 am to get ready for work.)  I am not finding that I am hungry when I wake up, but I have had to pee quite a bit--I know TMI--(last night I did not pee as much, but still woke up often.)  Is this my body ridding itself of the inflammation?  

Since I was already a bad sleeper, I'm wondering if the Whole30 probably won't help me with getting the much needed deep sleep I was hoping it would.  I'm gonna plow through and hope I feel differently by the end of the 30 days.

On 9/14/2016 at 8:49 AM, nikkig84 said:

Hi. I also started on the 10th Sept. This will be my 4th  (1 completed and 2 partials). The last one I did was earlier this year and I got to day 21 before I got viral gastro and stopped. This round the things I am doing differently are 1. Prepping my work lunches on the Sunday and freezing them so I don't feel like a slave to the kitchen ever night, 2. I'm on Instagram this round and have made myself a special account separate to my everyday account. I feel by posting my meals I'm somewhat photo journaling how I am going and if I run into any issues over the next 26 days I can look back and see my serving sizes. Plus I get pretty slack writing things down. Plus each post I do I've been using the hashtag #iamdoingthisforme which is motivating in itself (I don't know why though). I also had a big prep day on Sunday and made a lot of things to help me out during the work week. 

My history is I was diagnosed as coeliac 3 years ago and have been gf since. I suspect I have a dairy intolerance but I love cheese so a good 30 days off it will do me good. I have a lot of joint pain and walking up stairs my knees crack loudly so inflammation I feel is an issue for me at the moment and I also think I've been in a pretty bad relationship with sugar. From my 1st full whole 30 I know sugar brings out anxiety in me so I'm more aware of that at the moment. I need to work on not acting like a rebellious teenager after the whole30 and instead of killing all the things be eating all the sugars! 

Im married but doing this be myself (husband will eat the same dinners) and I feel pretty self motivated at the moment and surprisingly calm at this point in time. I'm happy to be a support buddy if you need it. 

All the best. 

Thanks nikkig84.  I hope you make it through this time without any illnesses.

I used to also have terrible problems with my knees too.  I now take Move Free (advanced formula I think) and I no longer have pain everyday (just occasionally) or the loud cracking (used to sound like Rice Krispies crunching under my knee cap.)  It's a small pill I take with my coffee every morning.  It has been a life changer for me :) 

I've had a few headaches and have been drinking a lot of water. I was a bit grouchy yesterday but I think that was due to the fact I was really tired but that's to be expected with the timeline. I think that most of my knee issues really stem from skiing as a child and netball as well during my teenage years, not a kind sport really. I'm feeling good this morning and am about to head off to restock the fridge with more meat and veg to then be able to do my meal prep tomorrow. 

Day 2 was the worst day. I had the most horrible headache, borderline migraine. I went to bed at 7:30 and didn't get up till 5:30 the following morning except for twice to use the bathroom. 

Im feeling really content with this way of eating and feel that the timing to do it is right for me. It was a rather spur of the moment thing for me. I had decided on the Friday that I was going to do in on the Sunday and stuck to it.  I'm already feeling positive in most of my day to day things. It's nice and sunny today so after my grocery shop I'm going to go and do some long overdue gardening and get some vitamin D (sunshine). I feel i have the energy today to get the house in order and get the housework completed today whereas during the week I've managed to do the dishes then  sat down on the couch and next thing I know is it's time for bed,

interestingly when it comes to bedtime I feel during the evening I have a steady energy then it drops over a half hour or so, I go to bed and *think* I am sleeping better as I'm not conscious of tossing and turning nearly as much as I used to. I use the term think as some mornings I'm more refreshed than others but I just put it down to being too early in the program to see dramatic differences .

i have noticed though that I have far less flatulence which I think is either a lack of sugar or dairy. I suspect sure more so than dairy because I was more gassy when i had candy or soft drinks as opposed to dairy which I limited anyway. 

I hope your sleep improves and that you are able to feel better rested. I'm going to get some more Epsom salts and have a nice bath tonight  it always sets me up for a nice relaxing evening. Have you tried that before? I add bicarbonate soda to the bath as well because a read somewhere it helps the absorption of magnesium through the skin.  If you don't have a bath a foot bath of the same thing can still help as there are a lot of blood vessels in the foot and it's a good way of getting it in. Just a thought though.  

Good to hear you are doing well so far. What has been your favourite meal you've cook for yourself so far?

• Moderators
On 9/15/2016 at 1:00 PM, A New Me said:

I am on Day 6.  Eating compliant food has been much easier than I anticipated and I have don't feel like I've had any of the ill effects yet (hangover, kill all the things) so I feel I have been lucky.

Sleep has been the worst part for me--I am waking up about every 2 hours and if it is 2:00 am or after, I am having a difficult time falling back asleep until 5:00 am or so (I get up at 6:00 am to get ready for work.)  I am not finding that I am hungry when I wake up, but I have had to pee quite a bit--I know TMI--(last night I did not pee as much, but still woke up often.)  Is this my body ridding itself of the inflammation?  

Since I was already a bad sleeper, I'm wondering if the Whole30 probably won't help me with getting the much needed deep sleep I was hoping it would.  I'm gonna plow through and hope I feel differently by the end of the 30 days.

There are some tips in this article to help improve sleep. Something many people don't realize is that changing what you do first thing in the morning can help your sleep at night. Even if you're not hungry, get up, and within an hour of waking up, plate up a full meal and eat as much of it as you can. If you can't finish it, wrap it up and set it aside, and come back to it as soon as you think you're able to eat a bit more. Over time, you'll find you're eating more at first. This article has a little bit about why this is important.

15 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

There are some tips in this article to help improve sleep. Something many people don't realize is that changing what you do first thing in the morning can help your sleep at night. Even if you're not hungry, get up, and within an hour of waking up, plate up a full meal and eat as much of it as you can. If you can't finish it, wrap it up and set it aside, and come back to it as soon as you think you're able to eat a bit more. Over time, you'll find you're eating more at first. This article has a little bit about why this is important.

thanks Shannon.

Archived