Homemade Taco Seasoning...

I made homemade taco seasoning last week. Ingredients were cumin, chili powder, garlic and onion powder, paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper, and I also added corn starch (not a ton) I doubt the amount that would make it into one serving of taco meat would be huge, but I am wondering if I should hold off on using it till my 30 days are through. (today is day one and if I knew I was starting Whole30 I woudldn't have used the cornstarch.)

Thanks.. and sorry if I ask a ton of questions this week while I get into the swing of things!

Agreed. Perhaps, just set it aside until your W30 is over. Here is the one I use.

Taco Seasoning

1/2 cup chili powder

1/4 cup onion powder

1/8 cup ground cumin

1 tbls. garlic powder

1 tbls. paprika

1 tbls. sea salt

Mix in a mason jar.

This is enough for 2 or maybe even more nights of tacos…just depends on how much you use at once. Put a bit in and keep adding until it tastes the way you want it.

• 1 month later...

To me (being from Texas) taco seasoning and fajita seasoning are completely different. :)

To marinade fajita meat (chicken or beef or pork), combine the followign:

1/4 cup lime juice

1/4 cup olive oil

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

6 cloves garlic (crushed)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

4 dried chiles

Salt and black pepper, to taste

Grind that all up in a blender or food processor and then marinade the meat in it for anywhere from a couple of hours (chicken) to overnight (beef and pork). Then grill and serve.

I bet you could sub coconut aminos for Worcestershire sauce. Its kind of salty and sweet.

And with that Derval runs to the kitchen remembering the jerky in the oven!!!!!!

Phew, all ok.

So I made my own mix and it turned out great :) based it on the ingredient of the packet mix in the press minus the weird stuff.

Archived