food boreeddommmmmm

I've been eating low FODMAP for well over a year and manage pretty successfully to sub the high FODMAP stuff for low in any new dish I'd like to try.

What veg are you currently eating, or what dishes would you like to try so we can suggest some alternatives?

off the top of my head I currently eat (in various forms!):

parsnips, carrots, spring onions (green tops only), aubergine, white potato, small amounts of sweet potato that I can tolerate, courgette, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber

Ok, so you've still got things like dill pickles, romaine (& other types of lettuce like rocket etc), bok choi, green beans, turnip, swede, spinach & kale - all low FODMAP - so that gives you a bit more variety, flavour & texture.

Is there a particular type of dish you'd like to try?

What did you do at this stage on previous Whole30s - this isn't your first round, right?

Have you done any FODMAP trials to see if you tolerate anything else?

thanks a lot for the ongoing help :)

I don't remember if I'm honest, my first whole 30 was 3 years ago!

As of yet I haven't found any other foods i can tolerate that are higher in fodmaps. 

I would just like to try something new, even if it's just a new way of preparing veg. :)

30 minutes ago, foursimplewords said:

my first whole 30 was 3 years ago

Yes, but you've done a fair few since then right? With at least one earlier this year IIRC - so, think back to how you handled this stage in previous Whole30's - did you try new & interesting, complex recipes  for a kind of a special occasion? Did you stick with comfort foods like mashed root veg & chicken soup? Did you go for strong flavours like curries, or pickles? All of these methods work at this stage provided you make the effort to actually eat. If you don't that's when your appetite starts to suffer.

What do your meals look like right now? Perhaps if we know that we can suggest something to help you switch it up & keep it interesting.

I tend to fall on and off the whole 30 band wagon quite often but this is my second go around properly :)

yesterday for example was scrambled eggs with veg (mixed together), lunch was homemade burgers with roasted parsnips and spinach with some almond butter on the burgers (YUM), dinner was burgers with potato mash, other veg and primal kitchen mayo. 

I think I'm falling out of love with food prep too - I made an egg bake/frittatta thing at the weekend that saw me through quite a few breakfasts, handy for saving time.

things like that would be beneficial.

I also luuuurve salmon/fish cakes. I actually threw a strop last week because I didn't have enough time to make them for days in a row :lol:

So how about some one pot meals? It's coming into the right season for them.....

Sea food chowder (using coconut milk instead of cream) works great with a mix of parsnip carrot & white potato with the greens of spring onions for a bit of flavour. You can curry it too for a bit of variety (and this works brilliantly for breakfast). Then there's all kinds of dishes that can be made quickly & easily in the crockpot with only a bit of meat browning to do before hand. You're lucky you can tolerate sweet potatoes because these break down brilliantly in the slow cooker and form a nice paste when combined with spices - add some meat, and a little more veg, or some tinned tomato or coconut milk, a huge tonne of spinach for the last 20mins or so of cooking time and you're good to go...

You can cook a whole chicken in there too without the need to seal in a pan before hand - add some kind of fat (i'm using a tsp of coconut oil lately), your choice of spices and cook on low for 8hrs while you go about your day - the meat melts off the bones and you can add to salads, soups or eat along side veg & fat.

How much do you pay for your primal kitchen mayo? 

thank you :) i picked up a whole chicken last night so I'll pop it in the slow cooker overnight for breakfast after my work out tomorrow. 

I ordered the primal kitchen chipotle and lime mayo online from lucky vitamin (US) as a treat - ordinarily I just make my own batch of plain mayo but I wanted to treat myself as a bit of a reward. :) https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-1189781-primal-kitchen-mayo-chipotle-lime-12-oz

@jmcbn Could you post a sample food log here so we can get an idea of how you are doing this low FODMAP thing? I am trying to plan out a week of meals and neer specific ideas. Here is what I have come up with on my own:

Nom Nom Paleo braised kale & carrots

roasted root veggies (potatoes, parsnips, & carrots)

zoodles

grilled zucchini & squash kabobs

roasted eggplant

tomato & cucumber salad (with EVOO, vinegar & spices)

baked potatoes

sauteed green beans

Can those who are low FODMAP add to this list please?

@merryheart5 - not really no, because over the time I've been eating low FODMAP I've also done a lot of experimentation to see which of the higher FODMAP foods I can tolerate, so what works for me may not necessarily work for you. Plus I don't really do 'recipes' - I tend to prep a couple of protein options, a side dish of veg or two, and then ensure I'm stocked up on salad veg and fats so that I can mix and match from my supplies for each meal.

Regular dishes on my food rotation (all Whole30-esque but not I'm not currently Whole30ing):

Beef heart stew, curried seafood chowder, chocolate chilli, regular chilli, roast chicken, tandoori chicken, jerk chicken, chicken mole, chicken liver pate, beef/chicken curry, shepherds pie, beef layered with veg & tomato sauce, slow cooked shin/brisket with root veg, all kinds of fish steaks, seared beef/lamb's liver, thai green/red prawn curry, sausage/sweet pepper casserole, kalua pork, stuffed peppers, chorizo & scallops, burgers, meatloaf...

Veg wise I always roast mixed veg - in the summer I tend towards tomato, zucchini, eggplant & peppers, in the winter it's usually carrot, parsnip, turnip & white potatoes. Then I usually do a large pot of braised kale & zucchini. I also always have supplies of cherry tomatoes, potato salad (or potato & bacon salad), coleslaw (carrot/cabbage, or curried coleslaw), broccoli & carrot slaw (once a week max), beetroot, cucumber, cold boiled potatoes (which are good in salads), spinach, bok choi, dill pickles, blueberries, oven roasted sweet peppers in EVOO, green beans, eggs, sauerkraut & tinned tuna/sardines.

I also use the greens of spring onions in  lieu of onions, garlic infused oil in lieu of garlic, and rely on fresh herbs, ginger and a good variety of spices to mix up the flavours & keep things interesting. I can tolerate small amounts of onion & garlic but limit that to eating out.

I also limit consumption of coconut milk, rarely eat fruit or nuts beyond what I put in my salads, and drink home-brewed kombucha for the probiotics it provides.

@jmcbn Thank you so much! This is really helpful! 

I am not currently on a Whole30 but sticking pretty close to it. I tried to reduce my FODMAP intake after some digestive issues but I have decided that I need to go all in. If this doesn't help then I may eliminate eggs & nightshades. Also going to try to eliminate coconut milk (but now I love that in my coffee more than cream). 

I really appreciate the help!

1 hour ago, merryheart5 said:

If this doesn't help then I may eliminate eggs & nightshades

I did a stint without eggs a while back because I thought they were making me bloat. I was buying eggs from the supermarket at the time and I did a little research about chicken feed and discovered that most chickens are fed grain, and that to be classed as 'free range' they only had to be free to roam for a short period of time each day, and that there might be a huge number of chickens roaming the same small area so it was of no real benefit to them & their diets still had to be supplemented.  I can't stomach corn at all - it totally floors me - and I figured that if chickens are fed corn then perhaps that would effect their eggs. The owner of the farm shop where I buy my veg has a few chickens on his farm and he sells their eggs at the shop. They don't have enough chickens for a huge production, but the chickens are free range in the truest sense of the word in that they are free to roam the entire farm & they scavenge their food - ie. they eat insects etc. I can eat their eggs without any issue.

We are what what we eat eats.

Archived