Heartbreak or oh well?

Alliea

My husband and I are on day 30 of a successful Whole30 and I just found out that we took in a little soy along the way. Our local kebab shop originally told us that they grilled their meats with olive oil and salt and that was all, but I found out from a different staff member today that they have a "master marinade" for all their meats that includes soy sauce and sugar. I ate there once over the thirty days--not sure how long ago--and my husband ate there probably 3-4 times. I know soy can be one of the big "start over" indicators. Is this an "oops, would have been better if..." or a "outta luck ducky"?

We did not have any reaction to the soy, that I'm aware of, in case that's relevant.

• Moderators

At day 30, the important question is whether or not you experienced meaningful benefits from doing what you did. If so, great! If not, you might want to continue on to a Whole45 that does not include the kebab shop.

As to starting over, at this point, I would consider the marinade with soy a lesson in how hard it is too get accurate information about food in restaurants.

RE: the restaurants, Oh, Amen, Tom! Overall, we have gotten very good results. My energy has evened out, and people tell me I have a "glow". Also, we've both lost weight. We haven't achieved the sort of euphoric feelings other people describe, but we've theorized that's because we were actually both feeling pretty good before we started, so the difference wouldn't be as prominent.

Thanks for the advice--I'll discuss with hubby the notion of going to a Whole45...

Most kabob or other ethnic restaurants are going to use a marinade and they probably didn't even realize you meant what is used to marinate or flavor the meat. It's certainly possible to eat most anywhere while on W30, but it takes a lot of research homework.

Archived