Drinks @ Panera Bread

MavMeg

I work remotely and often hunker down on Starbucks and Panera Bread to do work.

On Whole30, this means a LOT of black iced coffee, which makes me jittery after a while. I did some research and good news - the Panera Bread Plum Ginger Hibiscus Tea is complaint!

Detailed Ingredients

Plum Ginger Hibiscus Tea (Nigerian Hibiscus, Apple Pieces, Sweet Blackberry Leaves, Rosehips, Natural Plum Flavor, Carob, Ginger).

See at: https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu-categories/drinks.html#plum-ginger-hibiscus-tea

I thought this was pretty cool considering a lot of Starbucks iced teas are not compliant. Unfortunately I can't find the other iced tea from Panera on the nutrition page (I think it was a Green Tea, but it definitely said unsweetened on the fountain dispenser at Panera, and online I only see reference to a sweetened iced green tea).

It's just nice to know I can drink something there other than coffee. And water.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Moderators
11 minutes ago, cristinamt said:

@MavMeg I haven't tried the Plum Ginger Hibiscus tea before, but ingredients that state "natural" flavor is kind of a grey area. Does it come unsweetened?  

Natural flavor is not a gray area.  Natural flavors are okay for the Whole30 and cannot, by law, contain soy, sugar or other allergens.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, Doubtful Jenn said:

I have a question about this, as well. I have a Celestial Honey Vanilla Chamomile tea. It is "caffeine free herbal tea".  Ingredients state that is has "natural honey flavor with other natural flavors". Is this compliant or not?

i answered this on your other thread.  Per forum rules, please do not cross post the same question in multiple threads, it makes more work for the mods and makes the forum messy.  Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hey!  What about the "Prickly Pear Hibiscus Fresca". Ingredients below:

Detailed Ingredients

Water, Prickly Pear Hibiscus Agua Fresca Base (Prickly Pear Puree, White Grape Juice Concentrate [Fully Reconstituted], Water, Lime Juice, Hibiscus Concentrated Extract, Natural Flavor).

• Moderators

Yes this would be technically compliant but the white grape juice is used for a sweetner (it's one of the sweetest fruit juices out there) - for a special occassion or one bought in the morning and used sparingly in water all day, it would be fine but would not be recommended for daily or really even weekly consumption as it will keep your sugar dragon alive and roaring.

• 3 months later...
On 9/9/2016 at 3:02 PM, MavMeg said:

I work remotely and often hunker down on Starbucks and Panera Bread to do work.

On Whole30, this means a LOT of black iced coffee, which makes me jittery after a while. I did some research and good news - the Panera Bread Plum Ginger Hibiscus Tea is complaint!

Detailed Ingredients

Plum Ginger Hibiscus Tea (Nigerian Hibiscus, Apple Pieces, Sweet Blackberry Leaves, Rosehips, Natural Plum Flavor, Carob, Ginger).

See at: https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/menu-categories/drinks.html#plum-ginger-hibiscus-tea

I thought this was pretty cool considering a lot of Starbucks iced teas are not compliant. Unfortunately I can't find the other iced tea from Panera on the nutrition page (I think it was a Green Tea, but it definitely said unsweetened on the fountain dispenser at Panera, and online I only see reference to a sweetened iced green tea).

It's just nice to know I can drink something there other than coffee. And water.

The iced teas at Starbucks are compliant if you get them without sweetener. Even the tea infusions are ok. 

The HOT teas are a different story; many of them have candied fruit pieces in them. 

Archived