Day 10 - Shoot Me Now!!!

Piperanne

I am on day 10 and last night I had dreams of sour cream on top of nachos. I am tired of eating the same foods so I choose not to eat at all. I wait until it my stomach hurts before I eat something. On day 5 I landed in the hospital for 2 days due to migraine headaches, it was thought I was having a stroke as I lost my vision. I have been overweight all my life, I am convinced I am not meant to be healthy; however, I want to prove to myself I can do this. I cheated, kinda of...when in the hospital, I was weighed and they kindly (rudely really) wrote in on the board in my room. I do know I am making progress in that area. It is a cool fall day in Nebraska and I am going to make the Chili from the Whole 30 book. I am looking forward to something a little different. I am going to the Farmer's Market this morning to get fresh veggies. I do feel better, the swelling in my legs is gone, I have more energy and I would still kill for a diet coke. 

Thanks for Listening

Piper

Hey Piper

The food dreams are normal so don't think it's something you're doing to cause them.

The headaches & the not eating - you know they're interlinked right? And not eating is not gonna help - it will cause your metabolism to slow down to preserve energy, and your cortisol levels will be raised meaning your body will hold onto every tiny morsel of food you eat in case of a famine...

What have you been eating so far that you're bored with? Perhaps we can suggest some good tried & tested recipes/dishes for you to try...?

And as for that diet coke - maybe replace it with some kombucha? You'll get that fizz, but you'll also get some friendly gut bacteria along with it which will help you on your journey to a healthier you.

I Have tried some of the recipes out of the book. My problem is, I don't like vegetables. I also have texture issues.  I have been eating the few I do like; green beans and broccoli. I have been limiting the amount of potatoes I eat. This morning I made steak and eggs for breakfast and it made me gag. I had to throw it out. At lunch I made a "taco salad," seasoned hamburger on lettuce with pico. I had a few bites and I was done. I feel nauseated constantly and I don't really feel hungry. Late morning I was ready to throw in the towel. I honestly do not feel I am out of the woods yet, but I am not giving up either.  Thanks for your support and suggestions.

Piper

5 hours ago, Piperanne said:

I Have tried some of the recipes out of the book. My problem is, I don't like vegetables. I also have texture issues.  I have been eating the few I do like; green beans and broccoli. I have been limiting the amount of potatoes I eat. This morning I made steak and eggs for breakfast and it made me gag. I had to throw it out. At lunch I made a "taco salad," seasoned hamburger on lettuce with pico. I had a few bites and I was done. I feel nauseated constantly and I don't really feel hungry. Late morning I was ready to throw in the towel. I honestly do not feel I am out of the woods yet, but I am not giving up either.  Thanks for your support and suggestions.

Piper

Hi Piper! Good for you for hanging in there! If you like potatoes I don't know why you'd limit them? If that's what it takes to get your body to adjust to this way of eating, I'd say go for it. Just concentrate on eating template, compliant meals, and the rest will follow. Maybe not immediately, but it will follow. And it'll be so much easier to get there if you are eating stuff you like. It sounds like you have struggled for the full 10 days so I am really impressed with your determination. You'll be one of those inspiring stories in the end.

• Moderators

It's okay to eat potatoes, especially if they'll help you to eat, because you do need to eat.

Most of the time when people say they don't like vegetables, just in general, it means that they haven't really tried that many, or haven't tried them prepared in different ways. There are so many vegetables out there, with so many flavors and textures to them, there are bound to  be more than two or three that you like. You're just going to have to try them, and try them more than once, prepared different ways. If green beans and broccoli are your favorites, that's fine -- have those at every single meal if you want to for a while, but while you're having those, have a serving of some other vegetable at each meal as well. Try roasting most vegetables -- most of them are better roasted than steamed.

What are the texture issues -- what kinds of textures do you eat? What do you not eat? Maybe we can help you figure out other options you might like.

Frankly, seasoned hamburger on lettuce with pico sounds like a pretty boring meal to me, so I'm not surprised it's not appealing. Did the meat taste ok? Were you good with the way it was seasoned? If so, try having it over a mix of vegetables -- some baby spinach and a little iceberg or romaine lettuce, some broccoli slaw, maybe some diced jicama for some crunch, some roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes, some tomato, peppers of some sort if you like them. Add some guacamole or some olives or some kind of salad dressing for fat.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I did survive day 10 and woke feeling refreshed to begin day 11. I am currently nauseous so nothing sounds good. I am making salsa and hollandaise today. Does anyone have a good recipe for spaghetti sauce? I purchased a spaghetti squash yesterday at the farmers market and thought I would make "spaghetti."  @ShannonM816 I seasoned the hamburger for tacos, just put it on lettuce and added pico instead of dressing. I made some of the dressings and just cannot get use to them. I have been using salsa and pico on my meats. I did make the chili last night, thought it would be good over a baked potato.

As for vegetables, you are right, I have never really ventured out much. My husband loved them and I would prepare different veggies for him and not even try them. It's a mind block and I know this. Textures are anything grainy or stringy...onions, rice, raw vegetables of any kind. I am allergic to avocado , shellfish and tree nuts.  I always thought I could survive on chicken everyday, I was wrong.  Again, thanks for your encouragement. I will make it to October 1, perhaps in a medically induced coma, but i will make it...lol

It's day 12 and I am still on track. I felt really good yesterday, even made it out for a walk. The nausea has subsided and I was able to tolerate eating a bit more. I woke this morning, once again with a headache. I ate breakfast hoping it would help, the headache worsened and I was sent home from work. The department is starting a weight loss challenge today, I offered up the Whole30 plan as a suggestion and provided website information. Hope others can join me.  I figure I am almost half way there...I can do this!!!

FWIW: I have a problem with raw vegetables, too -- the gum around my left molar has "issues" and vegetable shreds end up there and cause swelling. So I'm trying to steam my vegetables to make them less likely to get "stuck." Green beans are one of my favorite veggies, too -- I microwave steam them. And I am eating LOTS of tomatoes -- thanks, farmer's market and friends! I just slice and salt them, sometimes I'll eat them with cucumbers with a bit of olive/avocado oil and balsamic vinegar. I say, eat what you like!

• Moderators

For spaghetti sauce, I've been able to find jars of compliant marinara sauce and used that -- I did have to read ingredients on every jar in the store, but I found some. Remember that you only need to look at the actual ingredient list, not the grams of sugar in the nutrition facts, as anything with any vegetables or fruits will have naturally occurring sugars that will show up in the nutrition facts, that's okay, as long as there's not sugar or sweeteners added in the ingredient list. A lot of times, I'll brown some ground beef, and then combine that with the marinara sauce and let it simmer for a while so I have more of a meat sauce.  If you really want to make your own, google Whole30 spaghetti sauce, and I"m sure you'll find multiple recipes. Or you could put the chili you've already made over the spaghetti squash, or if you ever wanted a totally different flavor with your spaghetti squash, try this pad thai.

For the vegetables, they mostly really shouldn't be grainy or stringy (except the obvious ones like celery -- definitely stringy).  If you want to try some cooked greens, I love collard greens cooked according to the Crisp & Sweet recipe here. You can cook any greens that way -- collard, turnip, mustard, beet greens, kale.  This is a good way to do brussel sprouts. Cocoa Toasted Cauliflower is good, or do oven-roasted cauliflower rice -- either would be a good intro to cauliflower. I've actually been able to find "riced" cauliflower in the produce section of my grocery store, which saves a little time.  I have a Pinterest board with Whole30 recipes on it, look and see what vegetable ones look intriguing to you, or pretty much all the recipes I've tried from this site are good, or this site from one of the other moderators here is all Whole30 compliant recipes, and most of the recipes on this site are Whole30 or easily adapted to be.

You don't need to make brand new recipes for every dish, but definitely try to work in a couple of new things each week -- it'll help you branch out and try new things, and it'll help keep you from getting bored with your food. When you are trying new vegetables, keep in mind that the way you cook them (and how long you cook them) can totally change the texture and taste. Most of them are best roasted, in my opinion -- it helps make the outside of them crisp, and it caramelizes any natural sugars in them.  But if you cook something one way and don't care for it, try it cooked some other way at some point. Sometimes just being exposed to something new multiple times helps us get more familiar with it and be more open to it.

Archived