ghee or coconut oil

susanleaf

Made a frittata this morning and fried with ghee and the potatoes did get crisp.   I am wondering if I tried coconut oil this might give the potatoes a crisp coating.  

What do other members use ghee for and what do members use coconut oil for.    Any preference?  Any suggestion?

Thanks

Susanleaf

Ghee is my preference... I bought a bottle of liquid coconut oil, and while it works well for browning, it still imparts a little unwanted coconut flavor to things that I'd like to be savory: cauliflower, potatoes, etc.

When browning things, I tend to use a mixture of half olive oil and half ghee. Is the inflammatory property of olive oil at a higher heat enough of an issue to be a concern?

Stephanie

Ghee and Olive Oil is what I use.  I haven't tried coconut oil yet.  But I think the Ghee has a better taste when cooking with it plus you can use it on veggies too.  I made my own and although it may take some time to make it it's cheaper then buying it as far as I'm concerned :D

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Bellmaestra said:

Ghee is my preference... I bought a bottle of liquid coconut oil, and while it works well for browning, it still imparts a little unwanted coconut flavor to things that I'd like to be savory: cauliflower, potatoes, etc.

When browning things, I tend to use a mixture of half olive oil and half ghee. Is the inflammatory property of olive oil at a higher heat enough of an issue to be a concern?

Stephanie

I'm not sure what the liquid coconut oil is, but to get coconut oil without the flavor, you'd want refined coconut oil -- it'll be in a jar, solid at room temperature, but will say refined on the label.

Chris Kresser had an article a while back about cooking with olive oil and stated that it wasn't really bad to cook with it. I didn't delve too deeply into it -- I sometimes cook with olive oil, sometimes coconut oil or ghee, duck fat, lard -- they're all good for different things, and all provide slightly different nutrients, so it's good to use a variety.

Yeah, I was wondering about this liquid coconut oil. The ingredients just says "coconut oil" but I wondered what do they do to it to keep it liquid. One web site says that the lauric acid, one of the most desirable components of coconut oil, is taken out of it to cause it to stay liquid. Sounds like it's a highly processed "food." Oh well!

Stephanie

The only time I use coconut oil is for recoating my cast iron Dutch oven.  

When I have used coconut oil to fry eggs in, the eggs taste like coconut.  So, my go-to is my homemade ghee.  It has a delightfully nutty taste.  I use it for cooking potatoes, eggs, ground round, steak...pretty much everything when it comes to frying. HTH

Archived