Soup Ideas for cooler Weather

socalmama

I make homemade vegetable beef soup all the time in the winter months, and my whole family loves it.  Just put some beef cubes in the crock pot, and a large can of tomato juice or vegetable juice (make sure it's compliant w/no added sugar). You may also need to add some water, depending on how much broth you like.  Then I peel and cut up in cubes several potatoes, and add whatever frozen veggies I have on hand. When I'm not on a Whole 30, I include frozen corn and lima beans, but if I'm on a whole 30, I get a bag of frozen carrots (or cut up fresh), a bag of frozen green beans, or any other compliant veggies you like. I also slice up an onion.  I add in some minced garlic and spices, such as oregano, basil, or thyme.  Then do nothing but stir occasionally, and cook in the crock pot on low for 7-8 hours or so.  It smells and is delicious, and depending on how may people are in your family, will provide lots of leftovers through the week.  I usually make it on a Sunday, and it give me dinner a couple nights and a few lunches, too!

• Moderators

Here's a basic chicken soup recipe if you need one. It's good as written, but I was inspired by another recipe to start adding ginger and turmeric to it as well, and that just bumps it up a notch. It's especially good when I'm feeling under the weather. (I think this is the recipe I first saw with the ginger and turmeric. I haven't made it, but I'm sure it's good.)

Archived