Seeing no real changes...different timeline for pre-Whole30 paleos?

Robin1403

I am on day 23 and I honestly don't feel any different than when I started.  Before you say anything, I know this is not the Whole23, but seriously NOTHING different.  Is there a different timeline that people who were pretty strict paleo pre-Whole30 should expect to experience?  I do have less bloating and maybe a little weight loss (not sure because...no scale) but my sleep is no better, if not worse, don't wake up ready and raring to go, NO tiger blood in site, no noticeable differences in anything!  This has been pretty easy for me as the only change was cutting out alcohol (hard), really checking labels, which isn't much of a problem because I don't eat many things that come in packages, and making sure I'm compliant when eating out.  I was hoping to see SOMETHING by now, my main goals were to really clean out my system of the "junk", which I've probably accomplished, to sleep better, get my hormones re-set, and wake up feeling refreshed...nothing!  I've read ISWF and Whole30 books so not just winging it, I'm very strict...any advice or experiences from people who were strict Paleo before doing your Whole30?

• Administrators

No different timeline perse.  It really goes one of two ways. People who are already "clean" may not notice any significant changes because they may already be running close to optimal. Or, people who are already pretty close to Whole30 when they start may get amazing, crazy, wild tiger blood because they just needed that last little push. Sorry, that's probably not helpful. I'm just saying that it's really so individual. 

Some questions to help us determine how/if you can make any tweaks:

Do you have underlying health conditions? Why did you think your hormones needed to be reset, symptoms?
Please outline 2-3 typical days of eating including portions, specific veggie types, fluids, exercise etc.
Are you under significant stress?
What is your sleep hygiene like?
Where are you in your menstrual cycle right now (assuming you are female)

2 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

No different timeline perse.  It really goes one of two ways. People who are already "clean" may not notice any significant changes because they may already be running close to optimal. Or, people who are already pretty close to Whole30 when they start may get amazing, crazy, wild tiger blood because they just needed that last little push. Sorry, that's probably not helpful. I'm just saying that it's really so individual. 

Some questions to help us determine how/if you can make any tweaks:

Do you have underlying health conditions? Why did you think your hormones needed to be reset, symptoms?
Please outline 2-3 typical days of eating including portions, specific veggie types, fluids, exercise etc.
Are you under significant stress?
What is your sleep hygiene like?
Where are you in your menstrual cycle right now (assuming you are female)

No underlying health issues, feel like hormones need to be reset because NO "drive" and also very irregular periods...46 years old.  No significant stress although I've always been high anxiety/worrier...so waking up an night and an already overactive mind do not make good friends.  Nightly habit of wine which I thought may be contributing to sleep issues but after 23 days no difference with that.  I do watch TV pre-bed but try to read (Kindle paperwhite) before actually sleeping, try to make things as dark as possible and cold and follow same routine pre-bed. My sleep hygiene could be better, I know, I was just hoping the better eating and lack of alcohol would help a little!

Workout 5 days a week which includes 5 days of weights (45-60 minutes) with 1 day including 20 minutes HIIT and 2 days including an hour spin class.

Drink lots of water (which contributes to waking up at night but I live in Vegas so have to keep drinking it), a combo of decaf and caffeinated coffee in morning, caffeine always before 7am (I am trying to cut it out completely but with not sleeping I need something to keep me awake at work...vicious cycle, yes).  Will have decaf tea during day and often some kombucha at night and maybe another hot decaf tea.  I'm 5'4" and was around 120 before Whole30 (highest weight in a long time after a few vacations/mini-vacations this summer, usually 115).

Typical food (this is basically what I eat Whole30 or not):

Breakfast: 2 eggs with a little meat, probably half normal portion, (or just 3 eggs), always sauteed with low carb veggie such as greens/broccoli/kale and sweet potato plus 5-6 kalamata olives and/or 1/2 avocado...basically same EVERY day.  It's a huge portion and I eat what I can then save the rest for a "snack" when I get hungry later so I don't have a snack :) 

Lunch: often dinner leftovers, but lately a veggie saute...1/4 head shredded cabbage, large spiralized zucchini, some type of protein (probably 4-5 oz but not weighing), spices, and 5-6 kalamata olives and/or 1/2 avocado if I didn't have it with breakfast. Again, huge portion so will save some if full for another "snack" later.

Dinner: Normal sized protein portion (try to do the palm thing...usually a little more than that), fill rest of plate with veggies, usually consisting of a salad or roasted broccoli/cauliflower/spaghetti squash/etc.  Not many starchy veggies at night usually.

I cook with ghee or coconut oil, very little fruit, maybe some mid-day if I'm hungry (usually frozen bananas or an apple but rarely), maybe some nuts but they are "food with no breaks" so try to limit.  If I have a snack it's usually left over breakfast/lunch) I drink a cup of homemade bone broth daily with collagen protein added, usually after workout but started drinking before bed because I wake up hungry...I feel like I eat a TON though.

Sorry this got long, but wanted to cover all my bases...let me know if any other info would be helpful.

• Administrators

OK, so some things you can try:

• move starchy veggie serving to evening meal. LOTS of people report that it helps with sleep
  • increase fat serving on days when you are having only 5-6 olives. If olives are your fat serving, go with a heaping handful
  • if you are having salad as your only veggie, add some sturdier or cooked veggies to it, salad isn't very filling and if it's your evening meal it could be contributing to unsettled sleep
  • avoid eating fruit alone as a "snack". It messes with your blood sugar. If you are hungry between meals or your meals are more than 4-5 hours apart, go for a protein/fat option (hardboiled egg & mayo as an example) instead of fruit
  • make sure you are having at least a post-workout consisting of lean protein and starchy veggie within 30 minutes of any workout that depletes you . HIIT, Spinning and 60 minute of weight lifting you should absolutely not be skipping that post workout meal. 

My suspicion is that you are undereating to just enough to not be super noticeable but that it is affecting you on a foundational level (ie, sleep quality). If your meals are huge as you report, but you aren't getting 4-5 hours between without needing to eat again, bump up the amount of fat in them. Homemade mayo, ghee etc that are denser fat sources.  4-5 hours between meals is one of the keys to hormone balancing. Also, make sure you're having that first meal within an hour of waking.

Also, as an outsider looking in (;)) the hormone issues are probably pretty normal for someone at your stage, pre-menopausal most likely, and sleep and sexual desire/function would definitely be affected to some degree with this.  I would suggest that you could consider this an "underlying condition" and expect that results may take you longer to see. Try some of the adjustments above and see how you do.  And report back! :)

Thank you so much for responding...I will definitely incorporate all of your recommendations.  The 4-5 hours between meals is the only "rule" I seem to not be able to abide by, I will try to incorporate more fat and maybe that will help...even though I've been paleo for around 5 years I still find it hard to break free of the low-fat, "clean-eating", snack every 2-3 hours mentality...too many years of reading Clean Eating, Oxygen and FitnessRx for Women!

Next Thursday is my last day, I will let you know how my final week goes...I guess if nothing else I can say that I actually made it through a Whole30 which I never thought I'd be able to do...yay for me!  Thanks again ;)

Thanks for posting this topic. I'm on day 22, and for the last week, I've been feeling the same way. I'm eating template meals, staying full for 5-6 hours after each meal, just still feeling bloated and my digestive system seems to work better some days, and not so much the others. Of course, over the last week, I've been on my cycle, and also been under a lot of work stress. I also have IBS, and my reason for tackling Whole30 this time around (round 3) is that I had a horrible IBS flare after antibiotic use earlier in the year. It wasn't getting better eating "mostly paleo/Whole30" so I jumped in all the way. I realize I may need to experiment with FODMAPs too. Good luck with the remainder of your Whole30, hope you see some improvements!

Archived