Workouts and Meal Times

Cyclemama

Hi All,

I started my first W30 on September 12.  Today is day 6!  Things are interesting..., but good.

I have some questions regarding meal times.  I am getting enough at each meal and putting a post workout meal when I workout.  I don't do a pre workout meal since breakfast wasn't too long ago.  Yesterday my last meal was at 2:45 pm, breakfast was at 7am.  I was starving, not craving at 7pm.  I ended up eating salmon (meal sized portion)  and grilled eggplant with olive oil.  My question, is it okay that I had four meals not including the post workout meal?  If I eat breakfast at 7am, my last meal is going to be early in the day and if I don't go to bed until 8 or 9 it's a long time between meals.  I teach an indoor cycling class three times at week along with weightlifting throughout the week.  My meals are filling and getting me to the next one, but sometimes I wake up early and I am hungry and can't wait until 9am to eat.  Thoughts?  

Thank you for your feedback!

Hi, I'm on day 13 :-)

If you fit in three meals from 7 am to 3 pm you must eat very often! Maybe eat more at each meal so you can have longer in between them? Fat keeps you fuller longer.

On weekdays I typically have breakfast at 7 am, lunch at 12, dinner 6-7 pm, not hungry inbetween. If I workout (mostly running) it's before dinner (which will then be later) and I eat something before wo if I feel that I need it.

You want to aim for at least 4hrs between meals, so if you're having breakfast @ 7am then your next meal (not including postWO) couuld be around 12-12:30, with meal three somewhere around 5/6pm. Once you've become fat adapted & have figured out what kind of portions you need you should find you can go even longer between meals - I regularly go 7hrs or more between breakfast & lunch.

If you're particularly active you may find you need to eat to the higher end of the template to keep you satiated between meals, and to keep you adequately fuelled.

• 1 month later...
On 9/17/2016 at 10:11 AM, jmcbn said:

You want to aim for at least 4hrs between meals, so if you're having breakfast @ 7am then your next meal (not including postWO) couuld be around 12-12:30, with meal three somewhere around 5/6pm. Once you've become fat adapted & have figured out what kind of portions you need you should find you can go even longer between meals - I regularly go 7hrs or more between breakfast & lunch.

If you're particularly active you may find you need to eat to the higher end of the template to keep you satiated between meals, and to keep you adequately fuelled.

Good to know. This helps. But why so long? Every other diet tells you to eat frequently- everyone 2-3 or 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours  to keep your metabolism going. Can you explain the idea behind the Whole30 please? Thank you! 

58 minutes ago, Soccergrlny14 said:

Good to know. This helps. But why so long? Every other diet tells you to eat frequently- everyone 2-3 or 2 1/2- 3 1/2 hours  to keep your metabolism going. Can you explain the idea behind the Whole30 please? Thank you! 

First off Whole30 is not a diet ;)

Secondly, every diet out there encourages you to eat lower fat & higher carb, building your meals around grains/legumes. Carbs peak in the blood stream as glucose and are gone within an hour, leaving your brain looking for another high from more carbs. So these diets recommend you eat little & often in a bid to keep your blood sugar stable even though they're also encouraging you to eat the foods that cause your blood sugar to spike & trough in the first place.

Whole30 encourages you to build your meals around protein & fat (& then filling the remainder of your plate with veg, keeping fruit to a minimum), both of which take a lot longer to peak in the bloodstream as glucose, meaning they provide a much slower, more sustained release of energy with no spikes or troughs, and so there is not the same need to eat little & often.

With the 4-5hr window recommended between meals the digestive system gets some much needed down time, and the body then learns to tap into it's fat stores for fuel, rather than relying on the constant supply of sugars (in various forms) recommended by these diets.

Of course the meal template, & the schedule are both recommendations and so what you eat & when is entirely up to you so long as it's compliant, but by following the rules AND the recommendations you'll get the biggest possible bang for your buck.

Archived