Snacking problem

jj18

It's my second attempt of Whole30, today being my day 12 (last time - in Feb - I barely made it through 4 days...). I'm really proud that I've gotten this far, but I think I'm having problems with snacking/fruit.

Sugar was my biggest problem before this because I was constantly rewarding myself with ice cream, chocolate, etc. after a tiring workday otherwise eating quite a little although carb-heavy). Since starting #SeptemberWhole30, at the moment I'm jobless and don't study either. I'm 23, living with my grandparents (doesn't make this any easier - you can probably imagine why - but I've made it this far), I'm 164cm and starting weight was 86,8kg (around 190lbs). From 2013 I've already lost around 44lbs/20kgs.

Since I don't really have anywhere to go for work/study, I have a LOT of spare time. I think it's the main reason for my snacking problem. Till few days back, I allowed myself to eat dates (like, a whole pack a day) because it was "compliant". I'm trying to stop mindless eating / snacking, but now when I('m trying to) gave up the dates, I notice myself making smoothies instead (usually coconut milk/almond milk, banana, blueberries, sometimes a tbsp of some superfood green formulas). Like, imo, I'm eating quite enough regarding how sedentary I am (If you need to see what I've usually eaten, check out my instagram). I've also trying to drink tea (caffeine free) instead.

My cravings are quite manageable, like, I can pass by all the goodies my grandparents are eating almost daily (I've honestly tried to get them with me with this but they're pretty stubborn with their habits), but I just have this craving to snack (nuts, dates, fruit mostly) even if I'm full, just eaten or not even really hungry.

And idk if it's because of all the fruit or just the W30 working its magic that I still feel pretty much bloated and "gassed up". My skin is a bit clearer and my cravings are, as said, manageable, but that's quite a lot about my nsv's. 

So, I'm asking you, for any tips or words of encouragement...? :huh:

Honestly, glancing at your log, you probably aren't eating enough. For instance you had two fried eggs as your protein when the recommendation is as many as you can hold in one hand. If I really wanted to, I could hold 5. I'm not much of an egg eater so when I do choose eggs for breakfast, I add another protein with my two eggs. 

Also it looks like you're light on fat. Every meal should have some form of fat. Since snacking is an issue, I'd advise against nuts and go with fats like mayo or ghee or coconut or olives or rendered animal fats, etc. in addition, fruit should push vegetables off your plate. It was weird for me when I started to eat whole 30 to eat vegetables first thing but then I got through it. It started with roasted broccoli and then went down the rabbit hole from there. Now I want veggies instead of fruit. I don't usually eat fruit any more. Also ditch the porridge. Find something else to fuel your body.

If you find yourself needing a snack, drink some water or go for a walk or distract yourself. If that doesn't work, opt for a mini meal with at least two of the macros (protein and fat being the most optimal, but protein fat and veggies being absolute best). 

It's good that you came this far. You still can go further. :)

Thanks for your input, @Karen_Suep

I forgot to mention I drink one cup of coffee with ghee (1-2 tsp), coconut oil (1 tsp) and MCT/Brain Octane (1 tbsp) in the morning, and around 2-4 times during the day which are usually 1/3 of a cup, with 1 tsp of coconut oil or MCT/BO.  I sometimes put coconut oil/ghee/etc to my meals when I remember to, and use mayo when I have it.

I have a bit of a problem including veggies to my meals, since I'm not really fond of them that much (they're kinda decreasing my appetite)... And I'm not really feeling hungry when it's actually time to eat a whole meal... But the need to snack remains <_<

I haven't looked at your instagram but eating fruit on it's own in the way you describe impacts blood sugar. It causes a spike, followed by a crash, and then the brain want's that euphoric high feeling again so it very cleverly makes you crave more fruit (sugar) - it's faux hunger though, and if you succumb to it the vicious cycle starts again.

You've got yourself into a habit which you need to break. Increase the fat in your meals, and if a craving strikes reach for more fat, not fruit. The fat will release chemicals to the brain giving the same kind of pleasurable feeling it gets from sugar, but without the pain.

If it's genuine hunger and NOT a craving have a snack of protein & fat, not fruit (especially not dates!), and not nuts.

Ditch the fruit, ditch the smoothies, ditch the nuts., and eat real food.

Break the cycle.

It is indeed a vicious cycle. What do you guys think, would it be of any help to eat real food four times a day instead of three? Just so I wouldn't go to snacks so easily and would actually eat enough.

For the first time in a while I have some sort of a headache...

Honestly, eating template meals will help the most. If you're still hungry, tweak them until you get to 4-5 hours between meals. 

Try to find veggies you like. Eat plenty of protein. Keep the fats up. Get rid of the snacks. When you want to snack, drink water. Or eat protein and fats.

there are about a bazillion ways to eat veggies. Some are perfect raw. Some are perfect roasted or sauteed or grilled or steamed. Some are amazing pickled or fermented. Some are great in soups. Some you can "fry" and they taste great. Try not limiting yourself on veggies because you didn't like them the way they'd been prepared. My husband used to hate broccoli until he had it with cheese. Then I tried roasting them and the cheese is no longer needed. I can eat about a lb of roasted broccoli. Or cauliflower. Or green beans.  I think I have an issue with roasted veggies ;) and butternut squash? I used to really not like it until I had a soup with it. It tasted so creamy without dairy and now I crave that soup (it's at a local restaurant and it is compliant but seasonal :( ) my point is, keep trying veggies. Sometimes it's not that you dislike the veggie as much as it is the way it's prepared. Badly prepared veggies are sad veggies. And that's often why people won't eat veggies like Brussels sprouts... They had them over cooked or boiled or something and didn't like them so they haven't tried other preparations. Roasted Brussels sprouts are the way to my heart ;)

I definitely have to try to find some new veggies to eat... Although it is a bit hard since I live in a small town in Finland - and for an example I've never seen spaghetti squash here :blink:

My schedule... I usually wake up around 8am, and eat my first meal right after. It's usually eggs, 2-3, more feels a bit too much. I take my wild Alaskan omega3s + vitamin D3 with it. I'm not very hungry in the mornings. I drink my coffee with it or after.

My second meal comes around 11-12 (usually). The third somewhere between 15:30-17. 

The snacking is worst between meal2 to meal3. The evenings are somewhat easier. 

The mini coffees with fat goes around 9-12/13-16/18 o'clock. I take magnesium citrate after 8pm and go to sleep around 22-23.

Yeah, you should be able to manage on three meals a day if you space your meals out a little more.

So for instance, breakfast @ 8am, lunch somewhere closer to 1/1:30, and then dinner say @ 17:30 if that is the hardest stretch for you.

Maybe take those BPCs alongside your meals to bump up the fat content, and look at ways of including more veg. If you could work on eating more at breakfast I think this would really help - the fact you're not hungry tells me your hormones are a little out of whack - eating is key in helping with this.

Once dinner is out of the way mentally close the kitchen - get the dishes cleared, have a herbal tea, or clean your teeth if it helps. That should help with evening snacking. For the mid afternoon snacking I'm guessing you've been suffering from the 3pm slump and that's why the need to snack has felt so strong, but with the removal of the foods causing that slump (fruit & carby nuts) it should be a little easier. Until the snack urge goes away try distracting yourself with a glass of water, filing your nails, running a bath, creating a new playlist ot something, and if it doesn't go reach for fat as I mentioned above.

For the headache be sure you are drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily - it may get worse as you cut out the fruit and your body adjusts, but it will pass.

Hope this helps.

Archived