New log for 9/12 start

bbuoy10

I can't find my old log, so I'm starting a new one. I technically started on Monday, September 12 (169.8 pounds), and did well during the week. But this weekend (including today) has been a free-for-all: wine, nachos, quesadilla, cheeseburger, fries, chips, sushi, etc.  And no cardio exercise on my sprained foot. I feel very lethargic and bleh. Like a sloth.

I'm going to do some upper-body work with free weights tonight. It's 7 p.m., and I'm not physically hungry, but I'm craving comfort food for other reasons. Tonight might be a battle. 

I decided yesterday to start over from Day 1 (which will be tomorrow, September 20, since I accidentally ate egg salad with dijon mustard that had wine as an ingredient this afternoon) and stick with the program per the rules. I know this is going to be extremely hard for me, so I decided to list out my non-scale reasons for doing the program. I don't want to focus solely on the weight loss.

• My energy levels are extremely, extremely low. Way too low for someone younger than 85.
  • My digestive system is, um, not taking too kindly to the way I've been eating and drinking. This seems to be getting much worse as time goes on.  
  • There are things I want to do that I'm currently unable to do, or at least do without a ton of difficulty. To paraphrase another W30-er, I want my reality to finally match my vision of who I want to be. For example, I like participating in races and have recently discovered that I also like hiking. Each has been a constant struggle for me, and I want to move past that. I know my weight is a problem, but the food I eat and all of the alcohol I drink aren't helping my performance--or weight.
  • My concentration isn't great, and I don't feel as sharp or productive as I would like.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll probably come up with more reasons.

Day 1

I only had black coffee for breakfast today. I ate very late last night and still felt full when I awoke. I had to attend a program this morning that wasn't due to end until noon, so I knew I would be starving before lunch. I managed to avoid the mini-quiches and muffins at the meeting this morning though. 

Lunch--I had a slice of breakfast casserole (potatoes, red bell pepper, onions, grape tomatoes, kale, mushrooms, garlic), and a rosemary roasted chicken thigh with yellow potatoes. Lots of potatoes, I know. I have to be careful there. I used coconut oil to cook the veggies in my casserole and olive oil on the chicken and potatoes. I'm working on my water. I've had four glasses already. I had pre-Whole 30 wine last night, so I was still dehydrated this morning. 

Day 1 (cont.)

Snack--I had a handful of olives about three hours after lunch. 

Dinner--Same as lunch.

I cooked some kale for tomorrow, since I barely got any green leafy vegetables today. I struggle to eat enough veggies. I also have to make sure I'm eating enough fat. I think that's why I had to snack between lunch and dinner. I don't want to start eating too many nuts and seeds (plus, I'm not a big fan), but avocados frustrate me because I can never catch them at the just-ripe-enough stage. I love olives, but I don't want to eat them 3x a day every day. 

My water intake for the day was approximately 85 ounces.

Day 2

So fatigued today. I know that's common at this point, especially since I had a binge weekend of crap and alcohol before I started. I spent so much money on food I didn't even end up liking last weekend, and I'm not sure why I felt like I had to have it at the time. Like I was rebelling against good food. 

Breakfast--Two big slices of my breakfast casserole. I was too tired to go get the olives I forgot, so I started to get a little hungry about 3.5 hours later. 

Lunch--My rosemary chicken thigh and potatoes again. I was so sad to find out that I couldn't eat the big batch of kale I made last night because the red wine vinegar I used contained sulphites. :( Luckily, I was able to give it to my daughter instead of throwing it away. I guess I should be happy that I dodged a bullet and didn't have to start over again.

Dinner--I had a giant bowl of zucchini noodles with meat sauce (ground beef, black olives, pureed tomatoes, garlic, basil, oregano, chili powder, and salt), and a small sweet potato with kosher salt and cinnamon. I'm so full! 

I had a cup of Cinnamon Dolce flavored coffee today (black, compliant ingredients). My water intake was approximately 80 ounces. 

Thanks, @margaretlogan7! I'm trying. 

Day 3

Breakfast--Two giant slices of my breakfast casserole again. I have one more serving of this left, so I took out a few slices of frittata that I had in the freezer to tide me over until I cook another casserole (probably one with the Aidell's chicken and apple sausage this time) on Sunday.

Lunch--Another serving of my rosemary chicken and potatoes. I love this dish so much. Obviously, when I find a recipe I like, I can eat it every day. I also had a snack pack of kalamata olives. 

Dinner--My last chicken thigh covered in the remainder of my meat sauce. Time to cook! I have a yummy looking paprika and olive chicken recipe that I'm going to try tomorrow.  I would've made some kale, but today has been a long day and I'm still feeling lethargic. 

I found out that what I thought was a sprain in my foot is actually a fracture, so I won't be doing much exercise over the next month or two. I hope my diet helps me heal faster and at least not put on any weight while I sit around doing next to nothing. 

I had black coffee again this morning, and it did NOT agree with my stomach at all. I need to cut it out. I'm not even a big fan of coffee. I think it's more of a social thing.   

Water intake today was approximately 72 ounces. I would drink more, but it's too close to bedtime. :-)

Day 4

I was lethargic again today, but felt much better after I took a nap this evening. That gave me the energy to cook dinner, which unfortunately was a fail. :-(

Breakfast--The last of my breakfast casserole and a handful of kalamata olives. I'm making another one this weekend with Aidell's chicken and apple sausage.

Lunch--I brought two slices of frittata to work for lunch, but I didn't want anymore eggs. I had to search hard to find a place where I could put together a Whole30 approved meal. I ended up going to Yeah! Burger and getting two grass-fed beef patties with sliced onion, pickles, tomatoes, and avocado. I bought some compliant salsa and watermelon to round out my meal. The burger was delicious. They had tons of great toppings that I wanted to add (fried egg, carmelized onions, sauteed mushrooms), but they were all cooked in butter.

I had a cup of Tazo Zen tea instead of coffee today. No stomach upset. :-) 

Dinner--I made the paprika chicken and olive recipe I mentioned yesterday, and it was not good. I don't know if it was the meat or what, but it just didn't come together well. (The meat at my farmer's market is 1,000x better.) I also cooked some kale, but I oversalted it, so that was a fail, too. You win some, you lose some. I have a curry recipe that I'm hoping will work out better this weekend. 

Water intake today was approximately 80 oz. 

Well, as so often happens, one bad decision led to more. I had mac and cheese and creamy tomato soup last night, and they absolutely DESTROYED my stomach. Between the wine interrupting my sleep and the dairy putting me in the bathroom and in pain all night, I barely got any rest. My stomach was still bothering me this morning. 

So I'm back at Day 1. 

Breakfast--I'm doing dinner for breakfast this week, so I had a serving of curried shepherd's pie with sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and ground beef. That was followed by a snack pack of green olives. 

Lunch--Chicken thigh with beets, artichoke hearts, and kalamata olives.

Dinner--A vegetable and chicken curry served over cauliflower rice. 

These are three of my favorite W30 dishes, so I didn't feel deprived at all. I had bloating and gas all day, which I assume came from the dairy last night. 

My water intake was abysmal today. I probably only drank 40 or so ounces. I left my giant water tumbler at home. 

Day 2

Today was my first full day on crutches for a stress fracture in my left foot. I hope the next few weeks of healthy eating will help me heal faster.

Breakfast--Curried shepherd's pie. I'm going to add coconut flakes tomorrow. I need the extra fat.

Lunch--Chicken thigh with artichokes, beets, and olives. Snack pack of green olives.

Dinner--Chicken curry over cauliflower rice. 

Water intake was low again today, maybe 6 or 7 glasses. I'll make an effort to drink more tomorrow. 

Day 3

Water intake was better today, but still not where it should be. I think I had around 8 glasses. 

Breakfast--Curried shepherd's pie with coconut flakes. yum.

Lunch--Chicken thigh with artichokes, beets, and olives. Snack pack of green olives. 

Dinner--Chicken curry over cauliflower rice. 

It will be time to cook some batch meals gain soon. Figuring out how to maneuver around on crutches has been a workout, but I think I have a plan for the kitchen.  

Day 4

I'm somewhat purposely not drinking lots of water because going to the bathroom on crutches is such a workout. Everything on crutches is a workout, which is actually good since I'm not getting much exercise otherwise. 

Breakfast--I inadvertently skipped breakfast this morning while I was working. 

Lunch--Curried shepherd's pie with coconut flakes. I have one more serving left. 

Dinner--My last serving of chicken curry and cauliflower rice. I had a big serving tonight. I'm not sure if it's the coconut milk or the red curry, but this dish has been causing me some stomach problems for the last day. Nothing terrible, just a bit of gurgling. Coconut doesn't normally bother me, so it's probably all of the curry I'm eating. 

Well, two good things about being on crutches is that I can't drink (I'll fall down the steps), and I can't get on the scale because I can't put any weight on my left foot. Perfect time to do a W30! 

Day 5

After doing some more reading last night, I realized that it could be the coconut milk causing my stomach problems for a number of reasons. I'll cut back and see what happens. My curry was very, very rich.

Breakfast--skipped again today. I hate going up and down all of the stairs since I'm on crutches, so I keep putting off breakfast until I get a break--which is at lunch.

Lunch--Last serving of curried shepherd's pie. No coconut flakes today. 

Dinner--Rosemary baked chicken thigh with potatoes. I was going to make asparagus, but it had already gone bad. :-(

I planned to make a breakfast casserole with apple chicken sausage tonight, but one dish was all I had in me. I'll tackle that tomorrow. I ordered Well Fed today.  So excited for new recipes!

I'm proud of myself for not taking the easy way out and ordering dinner tonight. 

Water intake was approximately 6 glasses. 

Day 6

Skipped breakfast again, which is probably messing with my metabolism. My usual breakfast time is around 9:30 or 10, so I'm going to force myself to get up and get my food by then. I made my breakfast casserole tonight (eggs, onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, garlic, and chicken and apple sausage), so I'll be ready to go tomorrow morning.

Lunch--Grass-fed beef spaghetti sauce and cauliflower rice. The cauliflower was a fail. I should've just stuck with zoodles. 

Dinner--Rosemary chicken thigh and potatoes. Watermelon. 

Since I'm not very active right now, I should probably watch my portion sizes. I don't need as much food. 

My water intake was approximately 7-8 glasses. 

Day 7--Week One is Done!

I've been having sugar cravings and crazy Whole30 food dreams for the last two days. I actually had to blow out my pumpkin candle last night because it was making me crave something sweet!

Breakfast--It was late, but I had a slice of my breakfast casserole. My avocados had gone bad (surprise, surprise), so I couldn't add them to the meal, but I bought more today.

Lunch--Rosemary chicken and potatoes

Dinner--About 2 cups of roasted butternut squash soup with onions and garlic. I was going to have meatballs, but I didn't feel up to making both dishes. So this was an unbalanced meal. But it's late and I'm full. I have a snack pack of olives I might eat.

I used coconut milk in the soup, but not nearly as much as in the curry. I'll see how my stomach feels tonight. 

My water intake was approximately 7 glasses. Week 2 will be better.

Day 8

My water intake was on point today. I had just over 10 glasses. 

Breakfast--A slice of my breakfast casserole with half of an avocado. I actually had breakfast at a decent time (around 10:15), and this kept me full for more than four hours. 

Lunch--About 1.5 cups of butternut squash soup with a small side salad (baby romaine, gold tomatoes, shredded carrots, and Tessemae's balsamic and olive oil dressing, with a splash of balsamic vinegar). No protein (I know, I know), but I made my meatballs tonight. I didn't feel like eating four eggs or a piece of chicken. I like my squash soup VERY thick, so I'm usually pretty full after this meal. The soup hasn't bothered my stomach, so I think I'm fine as long as I keep the coconut milk to a minimum. 

Dinner--My last serving of chicken thigh with artichoke hearts, beets, and kalamata olives. 

Day 8

My water intake was on point today. I had just over 10 glasses. 

Breakfast--A slice of my breakfast casserole with half of an avocado. I actually had breakfast at a decent time (around 10:15), and this kept me full for more than four hours. 

Lunch--About 1.5 cups of butternut squash soup with a small side salad (baby romaine, gold tomatoes, shredded carrots, and Tessemae's balsamic and olive oil dressing, with a splash of balsamic vinegar). No protein (I know, I know), but I made my meatballs tonight. I didn't feel like eating four eggs or a piece of chicken. I like my squash soup VERY thick, so I'm usually pretty full after this meal. The soup hasn't bothered my stomach, so I think I'm fine as long as I keep the coconut milk to a minimum. 

Dinner--My last serving of chicken thigh with artichoke hearts, beets, and kalamata olives. 

Day 9

It's only 6:00 p.m., but I'm going to go ahead and post now because I'm not sure if I'm going to eat again tonight. This was a very 'off' day; I just ate my first meal. I had one cup of butternut squash soup, rosemary chicken thigh, and potatoes. I'm at six glasses of water so far, but I'm going to get my other four in before bed. 

I was sleepy this morning and barely got anything done before 11. Then I was busy non-stop for the rest of the day with work. I planned to stop for lunch, but I was on a roll and had a lot I needed to get done. Plus, I wasn't starving. I have an emergency pack of olives on my nightstand that I didn't touch. Of course, by the time I ate, I was exhausted because I've been running on fumes all day. (Although I would never have been as productive or clear-headed as I was today if I was in a similar situation before W30.) I was also pretty hungry. 

Not skipping meals is more of a challenge than I thought it would be. I think it's because I can't quickly run downstairs, grab my food, and eat it while I work. Everything takes so long on crutches. Ugh. Tomorrow is another day.  

Seems like you've been doing a good job with meal prep! Im starting over tomorrow :/ was in a bit of a rut for a couple of days due to my grandmother's passing and so I wasn't eating well. But I need to start to get a healthy relationship with food again. Im sorry about your fracture :( seems like we've both had a couple tough days. Just remember that you can do it! 

Seems like you've been doing a good job with meal prep! Im starting over tomorrow :/ was in a bit of a rut for a couple of days due to my grandmother's passing and so I wasn't eating well. But I need to start to get a healthy relationship with food again. Im sorry about your fracture :( seems like we've both had a couple tough days. Just remember that you can do it! 

@margaretlogan7I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I lost my mom last August, and my eating went off the charts for several months. I just didn't care. So I understand. And thanks for the encouragement!

Day 10

I actually ate three meals today and drank 10 glasses of water. Shocker!

Breakfast--Breakfast casserole and an avocado

Lunch--Approx two cups of butternut squash soup and five grass-fed beef meatballs with salsa. I think I'm going to make some ketchup. I saw a recipe with curry powder that sounds good. 

Dinner--Last serving of rosemary chicken and potatoes, and a snack pack of olives. 

Archived