Ready (or not), Get Set, GO! My whole30

margaretlogan7

Hi Whole30 friends! 

I am in my last year of college and have struggled with using food as a stress coping mechanism. I celebrated my 22nd birthday this past week and since then have been eating very poorly. I feel terrible and am ready to restart with 30 days of Whole30 compliant foods! I am starting tomorrow, September 20th, and I would love any/all support. If anyone would love to join let me know! I will be posting pictures of meals here and using this blog to keep me accountable :) 

Ready (or not), Get Set, GO!

-Margaret 

I woke up this morning exhausted and feeling like crap from my last night binge on fried fish and chips (Spanish fries if you will). The crazy thing? I literally didn't enjoy eating them as much as I thought I would. Fries with oil and suited onion and jalepenos and covered in shredded cheese. It sounds divine but to be honest, it made me feel like crap starting with my third or fourth bite. The take away here: no more binging especially on foods that you think will taste amazing but actually are disgusting and make you feel disgusting while you are eating them and then also the next day. No cheat is really worth it. I'm skipping breakfast just cause Im not hungry but will eat later after class from 12-4 and a long run. 

Well, today is day 2! Day one wasn't that difficult, I wasn't hungry all day because of my binge the night before. I went for a 10 mile run (I'm training for a marathon) and came home to cook myself up 10 ounces of flank steak and asparagus. I know this isn't really following the meal plan template but at this point I gave my body what it was craving. 

My biggest thing is my stomach feels uncomfortably full when i eat large meals so I have difficulty following the whole30 meal plan in that sense - I am more of 3 small meals with 2 smaller meals/snacks kind of girl... 

breakfast 1: 8:00 am - 2 eggs, 3/4 avocado 

breakfast 2: 10:30 am - egg white omelet with chicken sausage, 8 small asparagus halves, and 1/4 avocado 

lunch: 1:00 pm - 1/2 large garden salad with 6 oz grilled chicken, 1 tbsp EVOO for dressing 

snack: 5:00 pm - honey crisp apple 

gym! ran 6 miles 9:30 min mile pace 

dinner: 7:30 pm - the rest of the garden salad (from lunch) with 8 ounces raw flank steak (pan cooked) 

snack: 10 pm - 1/4 frozen blueberries ** love this as a craving killing snack 

I have been craving a slice of the cookie cake that is sitting on our living room table, along with sugar cookies and ice-cream in the fridge. The problem is I am living in an apartment with other girls and can't just throw away tempting foods. This is why self-control is key. I just have to remember the reasons behind my Whole30! 

2 hours ago, margaretlogan7 said:

1/4 frozen blueberries ** love this as a craving killing snack

Hey margaret  - this won't actually kill your cravings. Fruit contains naturally occuring sugars which actually feed your cravings, especially when eaten on it's own in the way you describe here with the berries, and the apple earlier in the day. If you have a craving that won't pass with a distraction technique reach for some fat - some olives, or a spoonful of macnut or coconut oil for instance...

Good luck!

Thank you for the input! I will make sure to avoid eating the fruit (such as the berries). The apple however was not due to cravings but more due to the fact that I was hungry and needed a snack before the gym, and there was a fruit market on the side of the road! 

I woke up this morning exhausted. My neck muscles are sore and Im not feeling as energized as normal, even though I got more than my normal 7-8 hours sleep (slept 8.5 hours). I was so sad when I realized that both my avocados are not ripe. <_< Don't you just hate that?! And I don't have any bananas or brown bags to put them in...so it looks like its gunna be a long week of waiting. 

Breakfast: 9:00 am - 2 eggs poached mixed on top of an 1/4 c egg white omelet with 1/2 chicken sausage and 10 asparagus tops :) 

Im going to Flywheel (spinning class) at 10 so I didn't want to eat too much event though I know this won't hold me over - its a good protein/fat pre workout meal! 

***pls help, it won't let me upload any of my delicious meal pics!**** @jmcbn

19 hours ago, margaretlogan7 said:

The apple however was not due to cravings but more due to the fact that I was hungry and needed a snack before the gym

Yeah, I think this would be resolved with some tweaks to your meals.

Breakfast 1 for instance is high in fat but completely lacking in veg - a half an avocado might be more appropriate then you could add bulk/fibre with veg. It's also low in protein - 3 eggs would be a more appropriate serving, or 2 eggs plus some fish/ground meat or whatever. If you find you;re not hungry in the morning this is something you need to work at as it's indicative of a hormonal imbalance and it will come around provided you make the effort to eat.

Breakfast 2 then is short on fat - the half avocado again would be a more appropriate serving, and really you should eat the whole egg - the yolk is where all the nutrients are. You could do with more veggies here too.

Lunch looks better, although a tbsp of EVOO is not nearly enough fat, and then you mention no fat at dinner...

All easy fixes.

The apple preWO provides your body with an immediate source of fuel in the form of sugar - this is going to prevent your body from learning to tap into it's fat stores. Are you eating any postWO meals? Again these will help with hunger and cut out the need for those snacks...

Re the photos this is a site wide issue and has been reported to our tech people who are hopefully on the case!!

Hope this helps :)

I can not tell a lie, I went out to eat dinner last night at this amazing restaurant. I had lobster to start, but then my fish came out and the trout was covered in bread crumbs and also there was almond brown butter sauce over the green beans...which is dairy. Then I had some small sugar cookies when I got home :( darn the sweets cravings and they were sitting out on the counter. I hate temptations!  So I broke the whole 30. Uma actually really sad but Im jumping back on the bandwagon today. NO EXCUSES. My mom told me that I just need to bite the bullet. and event though fruit won't help with the cravings, I figure an apple during desperate times is better than sugar cookies... 

I will work on making my meals more vegetable/fiber heavy and rounding out my meals with fat. @jmcbn my breakfast 2: was my post workout meal the other day! I know that my meals aren't that "perfect" but I will try to make these better to reduce the late night cravings!! 

also @bbuoy10 i feel like i need to apologize :unsure: I hope i didn't let you down by having the setback. Still with you though! Starting day 1 again today!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @bbuoy10 I tried to post on your wall but got an error message so don't know if it went through! Im starting over today (my grandmother died this past weekend so i completely lost focus) but Im starting a new blog "No more excuses" and would love for you to follow! Im so sorry about your fracture and hope that heals soon!! seems like you've been doing  great job with meal prep though! 

Thanks @bbuoy10 I tried to post on your wall but got an error message so don't know if it went through! Im starting over today (my grandmother died this past weekend so i completely lost focus) but Im starting a new blog "No more excuses" and would love for you to follow! Im so sorry about your fracture and hope that heals soon!! seems like you've been doing  great job with meal prep though! 

Archived