BAD Cholesterol extremely up!

Mariaviquez

Hello! 

My name is Maria

i did the whole 30 for 45 days and last week I decided to stop... 

Since pe my husband and I have gone through so many diets and restrictions, whole 30 was also killing us bec the pressure was to high and he would not take it anymore, he just wants to have a normal life now and so it became such a pressure for us that I decided it was about time and that we already had enough and had given enough time to the whole 30 and seen the results and the non results and it was enough. 

The major gains I felt where no more cravings or hunger, improved a lot my mood, feel me again! This was a huge one! I feel more balanced and centered and calm and less angry and less mood swings if at all, or maybe no mood swings. I no longer crave any kind of foods or feel desperate, so it was all huge emotional an behavioral changes... Although my weight went up a LOT and my clothes do not fit anymore. 

Ive been taking the "crap" out of my diet for a couple months after my last fitness competition (process that really harmed my body and mind) which might be the reason why I didn't get "all the benefits" that other people get. 

Anyways, the day I stoped, I first did a hormone test which I got the result today. 

Now im Freakin out and didn't know what to eat REALLY! Bec my exams have never ever ever (not even when I competed in fitness) been bad or out of range, and now, after the whole 30... My hormones and my LDL is SUPER high and I'm really disappointed and worried to be honest. 

Ive also read several things about coconut oil and fatty foods which where the main sources of fat I used in my whole 30, since nuts bloated me and I used them little... Ive read it's really harmful for cholesterol And I also used a lot of olives and ate a lot of red meat bec I don't like chicken and I'm allergic to egg... And where I live fish is not really tasty so I ate meat and salmon mostly, and sometimes duck. 

Anyways, please I'd really appreciate feed back on why am I getting this results and what to do about them and also; is coconut oil really good? Or does it increase LDL? 

Thank you in advance! 

I I attach the exams here for you guys also to see! In this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdhr8x2bra2g4ob/1609150063 Maria Viquez0001.pdf?dl=0

Hi Maria.  Since the community forum isn't moderated, why don't you go to the home page of the forum and find the thread "trouble shooting your Whole30", it's under the Whole30 program section.  You should find someone who may be able to help.  You could try cutting back on the coconut oil and red meat and use more olive oil or avocado oil.  Has your HDL gone up as well?

Hello! 

My name is Maria

i did the whole 30 for 45 days and last week I decided to stop... 

Since my husband and I have gone through so many diets and restrictions, whole 30 was also killing us bec the pressure was to high and he would not take it anymore, he just wants to have a normal life now and so it became such a pressure for us that I decided it was about time and that we already had enough and had given enough time to the whole 30 and seen the results and the non results and it was enough. 

The major gains I felt where no more cravings or hunger, improved a lot my mood, feel me again! This was a huge one! I feel more balanced and centered and calm and less angry and less mood swings if at all, or maybe no mood swings. I no longer crave any kind of foods or feel desperate, so it was all huge emotional an behavioral changes... Although my weight went up a LOT and my clothes do not fit anymore. 

Ive been taking the "crap" out of my diet for a couple months after my last fitness competition (process that really harmed my body and mind) which might be the reason why I didn't get "all the benefits" that other people get. 

Anyways, the day I stoped, I first did a hormone test which I got the result today. 

Now im Freakin out and didn't know what to eat REALLY! Bec my exams have never ever ever (not even when I competed in fitness) been bad or out of range, and now, after the whole 30... My hormones and my LDL is SUPER high ( 164 LDL and total cholesterol 282 I'm 32 years old, no kids) as well as my husbands LDL (139 LDL and total 200, he's 42 years old) and I'm really disappointed and worried to be honest. 

Ive also read several things about coconut oil and fatty foods which where the main sources of fat I used in my whole 30, since nuts bloated me and I used them little... Ive read it's really harmful for cholesterol And I also used a lot of olives and ate a lot of red meat bec I don't like chicken and I'm allergic to egg... And where I live fish is not really tasty so I ate meat and salmon mostly, and sometimes duck. 

Anyways, please I'd really appreciate feed back on why am I getting this results and what to do about them and also; is coconut oil really good? Or does it increase LDL? 

Thank you in advance! 

I I attach the exams here for you guys also to see! In this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdhr8x2bra2g4ob/1609150063 Maria Viquez0001.pdf?dl=0

Maria - I've merged your two threads as the original had already been moved to the Troubleshooting forum by one of the other moderators as far as I can see and this keeps the forum tidier.

Coconut oil is NOT the enemy. And neither are olives for that matter. Olives have been found to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis (basically the deposit of fat in the arteries) and increase good cholesterol (HDL - which is why you need to know this number).

Here are links to a couple of good articles on coconut oil and how it is considered one of the healthiest types of oil.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2016/04/06/is-coconut-oil-bad-for-your-cholesterol/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/

You might also want to have a read of the book called The Coconut Oil Miracle

The weight gain you mention is most likely the result of your body holding on to the nutrients you fueled it with over the last 45 days after many years of restriction - I'm sorry, but you cannot expect to undo that damage in 45 days, and often in these circumstances people gain weight (as you have) before things level out.

On 9/20/2016 at 1:29 AM, Mariaviquez said:

My hormones and my LDL is SUPER high

Other than your LDL cholesterol which hormones were high?

• Moderators

Doctors exaggerated the danger of cholesterol for decades and have only recently begun to acknowledge that high cholesterol fails to predict bad things in most situations. That said, I have a genetic defect that makes me have high cholesterol unless I am on medication. Diet and exercise cannot fix the issue for some people. In any case, please be assured that eggs and coconut oil and red meat are not the problem. I can eat a vegan diet and still have high cholesterol. By the way, I began having my cholesterol tested at about age 29 or 30 and did not learn of my genetic defect until I was about 52. The testing required to learn something like that is not standard. 

23 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Maria - I've merged your two threads as the original had already been moved to the Troubleshooting forum by one of the other moderators as far as I can see and this keeps the forum tidier.

Coconut oil is NOT the enemy. And neither are olives for that matter. Olives have been found to reduce the risk of atherosclerosis (basically the deposit of fat in the arteries) and increase good cholesterol (HDL - which is why you need to know this number).

Here are links to a couple of good articles on coconut oil and how it is considered one of the healthiest types of oil.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2016/04/06/is-coconut-oil-bad-for-your-cholesterol/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-oil-health-benefits/

You might also want to have a read of the book called The Coconut Oil Miracle

The weight gain you mention is most likely the result of your body holding on to the nutrients you fueled it with over the last 45 days after many years of restriction - I'm sorry, but you cannot expect to undo that damage in 45 days, and often in these circumstances people gain weight (as you have) before things level out.

Other than your LDL cholesterol which hormones were high?

Thank you.

I understand your point. 

I attached the exams in a link to my dropbox. Progesterol and estradiol are also out of balance and cortisol is high as well. I was in the +4 to +12 from my period phase. 

I want to believe in whole 30, I appreciate all that it gave me. But I'm really confused with contradictions. I also don't need to be reminded of what I did to my body anymore, there's no shame in that... it was just a journey I chose and I'm getting over that.... and certainly I'm not so convinced to continue believing for longer... this is my thruth with compasion and honesty. 

Also im ready to start training again, the thruth is I love this sport and I'm going to continue pursuing it from a space of love and acceptance. And I know the whole 30 will stay with me a lot during this new path. 

Is there any bodybuilders doing whole 30 or paleo? 

Have you heard about intermittent fasting and what do you think about it from a whole 30 point of view? 

Thanks again. 

Maria 

10 hours ago, Mariaviquez said:

Progesterol and estradiol are also out of balance andcortisol is high as well.

Unbalanced progesterone & estrogen levels and the stress hormone cortisol are all linked with weight gain/retention.

Stressors include lack of sleep, over exercising, food restriction, anxiety.....

I honestly don't mean to bring up your past dieting to punish you. I'm just trying to emphasize that your past lifestyle has had a vast impact on your overall health, and since it took longer than 45 days to do the damage it's understandable that it might take longer than 45 days to undo it.

Yes I've heard of intermittent fasting, and yes there are many body builders in the paleo/ketogenic world. However, we would not recommend that you go down the IF or keto path until your hormones are in a good place. Attempting either of these protocols from where you are now may work for you in the short term, but would most likely be detrimental to your health.

Continuing to nourish & fuel your body with wholesome real foods is the absolute best thing you can do for yourself in the long term.

Archived