Should I just stop the Whole30?

I've been living a Whole30 life for about 6 months now. I love how I feel on Whole30 and things are great. I'm in my first trimester and food aversions have kicked in. Fish, meat, and chicken are off the table right now…I can tolerate eggs sporadically throughout the day, whenever my body decides it's okay…otherwise, I can't. Fruit is not something I really want either, most of the day. 

Here's my question: do I throw in the towel with the addition of some grains and dairy (like Greek yogurt, which I can tolerate pretty nicely now)? If I would put a burger in a bun, I would be able to get it down here or there. I have tried paleo chicken fingers with coconut flour breading and ate it, too.  So do I go paleo, Whole30-ish, or just stop things? Or should I try to find Whole30 compliant recipes (like the above chicken fingers) and stick with it, even though it means I end up not eating well due to hunger and nausea.

I'm wondering how much longer to stick with attempting to get through a compliant day. Today I ended up eating cake, probably out of guilt or hunger. 

I'm confused.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, because this lifestyle means a lot to me.

Read this article Melissa wrote when she was pregnant about doing a W30 while pregnant. She went into detail on food aversions and the like. http://whole30.com/2013/01/pregnancy-and-food-aversions/

My thoughts are eat what you can. I had really terrible aversions while I was pregnant - I was down to gluten free bread and butter, plain Ruffles potato chips, mashed potatoes, and toast for several weeks. The next three foods I could touch were fruit cups, GF macaroni and cheese, and orange juice. Aversions are HARD to get through, I know. If you can paleo-ify something like your chicken fingers and it lets you eat it, then do it. If you know that you can tolerate that bun (since you've done a reintroduction) and it would let you eat meat, then go for it. If it would make you feel bad, don't eat it.

Basically, eat things you know you can tolerate if they sound good. The aversions will pass, and you can eat your favorite foods again. Right now, eat what your body will allow.

I'm with you. I've been Whole30-ish for several years. I'm just over 10 weeks and haven't cooked a meal in 2-3 weeks... I'm not proud what I'm eating right now, but I know I need to eat and crap is the only thing I can get down now. I keep reminding myself that it takes a TON of energy to make a baby, so that's why I'm craving tons of carbs. I'm hoping it'll pass soon, for both of us! 

Thanks ladies! It feels good to be understood :) I don't do well with sugar or gluten, but I am great with Ezekiel and the like. I can handle some proteins if I add some simple carb like bread or crackers but I think living Whole30 for this long has made me feel so guilty for eating what most people consider to be super-clean health food!!

Archived