Whats good to scoop my fresh salsa with??

DisaART

• Administrators

You might need to think outside of "scoop salsa with snack type foods" and more towards using it as a great ingredient/flavouring agent? Pour it over some chicken thighs or breasts and bake in the oven? Or throw into crockpot with a fattier cut of meat (pork shoulder, rump roast) and cook low and slow and then shred it all together. Top your breakfast hash, top an omelette with salsa and then guacamole (my personal fave).

Thanks for the great ideas... Yes, need to think outside the scoop box!

I tried it on some scrambled eggs with compliant chicken sausage. Yummy!

BTW... The "Sunshine Sauce" is AMAZING! I made it with almond butter.. I am in love! I want to put on everything. Also made the mayo.... Who knew it was so easy... And WAY more delicious! Wow.

I am liking Whole30... Ready to face Day 4' and date night.... eating out. 

You could make taco salad with ground beef with spices, guacamole, peppers, onions, mushrooms & top with salsa, I would put this on a bed of roasted butternut squash or sweet potato. You could also add a little mayo and make a salsa ranch dressing for any other kind of salad. Perhaps on top of zoodles?

Some more YUM! Thanks! Love the taco salad and broccoli tip. I love broccoli and eat it a lot. Never thought to put salsa on it!

The caulirice sounds good. Actually all the tips sound great... I will do them all. 
Thanks again.

Wow that sounds great, Elaine! I wonder if we can get good Jicama in New Jersey... LOL
Thanks! I usually like a good snack around 3 or 4... Dinner isn't usually until 7. The jicama sounds like a perfect addition.
Have a great day. 

• Administrators

Hi @DisaART - if you are snacking because lunch and dinner are more than 4-5 hours apart, make your "snack" a mini-meal that contains protein, fat and veggies. If you can't manage all three, protein and fat or protein and veggie are your best bet. Steer away from just fruit, just veggies or the fruit/nut combo. None of these will do anything for you, long term. 

Hi @ladyshanny,

Thank you for your response. Good advice for sure, and to clarify when I need a snack (not every day), an apple and a small handful (10) Macadamia or Almonds or Pecans... Tides me over and is 3 of the macronutrients... Fat, protein and fruit.

The fruit does not trigger cravings and the small amount of nuts is not food without brakes for me. 

I am eating a good breakfast, lunch and dinner. But if my lunch ends up a bit smaller and I am super busy... The apple and nuts are a great and compliant snack. 

I am doing intermediate Vinyasa classes 5 days a week. 

I do appreciate the reasons for not snacking... Still feels a bit weird to eat breakfast... But I can feel my body totally loving to be fed well. The previous version of paleo was along the Bulletproof way... Fasting till 1 or 2 in the afternoon which always made me cranky... And I did not lose any weight or feel like exercising. 

The Whole30 is great!

Ok.. Thanks and I hear you @Karen_Suep

My other favorite is tons of veggies... Cukes, celery, bell peppers, lettuce, radishes with about a 4 tbsp serving of Sunshine Sauce and some leftover steak or chicken.. Whatever... Or sardines. That is probably actually more like lunch. But I love it.

For the last year especially, on LCHF Keto, I ate 0 fruit. And this time of year it is quite the blessing to be able to guilt free munch a good crisp apple a couple times a week.

I sure will (enjoy my apple).

As one who's main issue is wine cravings... anyone who has been "in the rooms"  as Mellisa Hartwig knows; a bit of sugar (in this case Whole30 compliant natural whole Apple with fats, not Larabars or dried fruit) can and does help with early sobriety cravings. 

Veggies are great and I follow the meal template and am a seasoned nutritional chef (for self and family) for all types of "ways of eating" WOE.

I am very careful and have thouroughly read all the books and understand the science. My BIG NSV, at this time, is not drinking.

I am finishing up Day 10. Onward. :ph34r:

• 2 months later...

Not helping you on what to use for your current fresh salsa, but I have started to make my "salsas"  Chunkier - even a little bigger that pico de gallo and eat it like a salad - Tomato, onion, jalepenos, cilantro and I usually add a avocado.  I know, not quite a salsa and almost guacamole but I really have enjoyed the mixture of these ingredients in this form and can eat a big bowl with a fork.

Archived