Starting 1st W30 Oct 10!

HilaryR

Anyone else here get so bored from in between meals? I've been writing down how I've been feeling the past 3 days so I could keep track of my inner progress. And my biggest problem is after having lunch I don't feel hungry, but I get the urge to chew on something. I know it says in the book to eat enough during our meals to keep ourselves full until the next meal. I have been avoiding to snack because I want to train my body to eat only when I'm hungry. I sit down in front of my computer all day at work and that's boring enough! Struggle is real right now. So I decided to post it here! :wacko:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - all of you have convinced me to make a batch of broth this weekend. I make stock pretty frequently but really only think of it as an ingredient or base for a soup - not as something I could have with a meal as a warming/comforting drink.

@bon_bon58 It sounds like you are doing a great job of tracking and identifying your challenge times. I feel like jumping on the forums to combat boredom is a great approach. You could also get up and go for a quick walk, or get some water. I will go and do a couple floors of stairs if I am super bored and need to reset quickly.

17 hours ago, bon_bon58 said:

Anyone else here get so bored from in between meals? I've been writing down how I've been feeling the past 3 days so I could keep track of my inner progress. And my biggest problem is after having lunch I don't feel hungry, but I get the urge to chew on something. I know it says in the book to eat enough during our meals to keep ourselves full until the next meal. I have been avoiding to snack because I want to train my body to eat only when I'm hungry. I sit down in front of my computer all day at work and that's boring enough! Struggle is real right now. So I decided to post it here! :wacko:

I too find the urge just to chew on something between meals - eat out of boredom, not hunger.  I have found that the W30 has helped with this (this is my 3rd round) - if you eat enough at meal time.  I also find when I have that urge, if I drink a big glass of water, or go for a quick walk (fitbit helps with this motivation), the moment passes. Keep up the good work! :)

19 hours ago, bon_bon58 said:

Boredom and fatigue are two of my triggers. I keep a list of short, easy tasks or "fun" distractions.  Examples for home: straighten Jewelry box, adult coloring (set timer for 15 minutes), listen, really listen, to a song or two; call a friend, play piano for 15 minutes, do 3-5 sun salutations, take compost to garden, cut some flowers...harder at work, but some ideas from when I was working...go to a distant ladies' room (if you are drinking enough water, this is real!), spend 5 minutes on a task I've procrastinated on doing -- only 5 minutes; divide lunch hour between eating and walking with a co-worker. That one helped me get through boring afternoons and 4 p.m. Munchies.

17 hours ago, MarieRose13 said:

I'm coming down with a cold! Anyone else got sick while doing the whole 30? I'm assuming this is because it's the season to get ill, not because of the whole 30.

@MarieRose13 The Whole30 Daily email actually had some info about this a couple days ago!

They suggested Bone Broth (not only for nutrition but to help soothe a sore throat and warm you up), Coconut Oil (Something about shortening symptoms by making viruses more vulnerable to your immune system), and Scrambled Eggs with mashed cauliflower or sweet potatoes for easily digestible protein and carbs.

You can also steep ginger and lemon to make a nice tea. I am so sorry you are coming down with something! :(

Feel better soon!!

@MarieRose13 I hope you are feeling better today. I woke up sniffly yesterday, too, but I think it was either my version of carb flu, or a reaction to all the dust and pollen in the air where I live. I drank extra water, ate fish as easily digestible protein, and did an easy workout. I feel okay today.

Speaking of which, yesterday I: 1) woke up hungry AND tired; 2) definitely wanted to "kill all things." Think: road rage at stupid drivers, annoyance with a friend who forgot a lunch date, even DH who didn't deserve it! All is better today (Day Six for me.)

Does anyone have suggestions for a high protein breakfast beyond eggs or a hamburger? I definitely feel better if I have a nice portion of protein and a veggie, but I am tired of spinach and mushroom omelets! :)

@Jmb369 For breakfasts - do you have any issues with eating "non breakfast" foods for breakfast? I have just been having leftovers (or one of the meal prep containers I pre-prep for the week). Sometimes its a little odd, but it helps break the egg boredom. As a bonus - it leaves eggs as an option for a quick dinner when I didn't have them for breakfast!

1 hour ago, HilaryR said:

@Jmb369 For breakfasts - do you have any issues with eating "non breakfast" foods for breakfast? I have just been having leftovers (or one of the meal prep containers I pre-prep for the week). Sometimes its a little odd, but it helps break the egg boredom. As a bonus - it leaves eggs as an option for a quick dinner when I didn't have them for breakfast!

No issues at all, I just usually 'save" leftovers for lunch or another dinner, but yesterday I had leftover pumpkin chili (more like a hamburger stew) for breakfast so I could have a spinach omelet when I met a friend for lunch. I guess I didn't have a large enough portion because I was hungry before I got to lunch! I probably should do this more often. After two years of eating primarily paleo and four months of  basically Whole 30, eggs are my morning go-to, so I am in a bit of a rut.  Sometimes I stir leftover chicken, salmon, or fajitas into my eggs as a taste treat, and protein booster. Thanks for encouraging me to shake it up a bit!

Three p.m. and I am still energetic and not cranky. Breakfast was eggs with sauteed onions and mushrooms, and lunch was Greek lamb burgers and a big salad. Dinner plan is for marinara sauce and meatballs over zoodles. I'm a little short on complex carbs today, so I have to get creative. I might resort to a piece of fruit or some cashews after dinner.

WOAH - morning of day 7 for me and I have woken up with a splitting headache... I'm definitely in a rough patch. I am thinking it may have something to do with the fact that I had a few too many organic raisins yesterday and two dates with a boiled egg and avocado for an afternoon "meal"; though I'm also thinking it may just be my delayed come-down off sugar in general. 

I'm not going to lie, this is extremely challenging for me, but I am hanging in there. For some interesting context, I gave up alcohol approximately 3 years ago and haven't touched a drink since I made the decision to stop. There is a school of thought that believes that high alcohol consumption may actually indicate that I was a sugar addict masquerading as a booze hound. I've definitely been using sugar as my crutch since I stopped the drink - it's been my reward when I felt I deserved a treat for a hard day or celebration. Problem is its out of control and I worry about my behaviour relating to it. Interestingly, this week I have noticed at times that I feel "empty". Not in the hungry sense of the word, more like I have an insatiable desire to consume something to fill an unfillable void. It's been really insightful to recognise that feeling as it's the same demon that would drive me to have one glass too many. It's definitely made me realise how important it is for me to do this. I'm learning more about myself and starting to understand the triggers that set me off. 

Hopefully this headache won't last long and my second week will be beetter than the first. I'm looking forward to the clear headed energy boost I keep reading about! 

1 hour ago, ThisSydneyGuy said:

a few too many organic raisins yesterday and two dates

First let me say I admire your insights and your ability to be honest with yourself. As to the scientific connection between alcohol and sugar addiction, I don't know enough, but I can share that alcoholism is a problem with some of my family members, and others have food addiction problems.

Now, to comment on the raisins and dates. Dried fruits are concentrated sugar! The last time I did Whole 30 (July), I discovered that too much dried fruit gave me a headache -- kind of the opposite of low blood sugar. My solution was to drink extra water and eat some kind of concentrated protein like a hard boiled egg or a couple of ounces of meat. Exercising to a sweat is also helpful. My go-to afternoon meal/snack is nuts, but I have to watch how many I eat.

I don't know how formally you dealt with giving up alcohol, but I wonder if some daily journaling would help you to get a handle on the source of the empty feelings. It doesn't need to be shared here or anywhere else unless you want to, but that kind of dialogue can help us dig into some of those deep feelings. It might also be interesting to see what comes up in your dreams over the next few weeks.

Congratulations on reaching Day 7. The first time I did this, it definitely took until the 2nd or 3rd week to feel energized.

Well, I cheated.  On day 3.....I stepped on the scale!!!!!!   I couldn't help it because I figured I was losing weight so I just had to look and see how much.  (EDITED BY MODERATOR)  After that, I hid the scale in my sewing room so it isn't a constant reminder.  It really is hard for me not to weigh myself because that is always how I have judged my health.  Forget my great BP, I need the BMI to know how I feel about myself.  And...I am a closet eater.  My husband goes out of town at least once a month, sometimes more and every time he leaves, I make some sweets to keep me company.   He was out of town for days 3 - 6 which was good because I didn't have to worry if he would like my food but bad because where are my rice krispy treats to keep me company.  I know I have developed an unhealthy relationship to food.....or is it just dessert?   Maybe I will figure it out in the next 24 days.

Breakfast and dinner seem easy so far (it is only day 2;-)) but I still am struggling a bit to plan for lunches I need to take to work. I usually don't sit down and eat lunch, but really just snack all day. I plan to make a tuna salad, turkey salad and salmon salad this week to put in lettuce wraps, but does anyone have other good lunch ideas. I am not good with doing the same things over and over every day!

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Wendy W said:

Breakfast and dinner seem easy so far (it is only day 2;-)) but I still am struggling a bit to plan for lunches I need to take to work. I usually don't sit down and eat lunch, but really just snack all day. I plan to make a tuna salad, turkey salad and salmon salad this week to put in lettuce wraps, but does anyone have other good lunch ideas. I am not good with doing the same things over and over every day!

These are supposed to be for kids, but up the portion sizes as necessary and they'd be great for adults too. Not all recipes are Whole30, but you should be able to get ideas from it.

The easiest thing would be just to make extra food at dinner each night and take leftovers, but I don't know if that's too much like the same things over and over for you.

Meatballs, salmon cakes, burger patties could all be cooked ahead and frozen, then pull out whichever one sounds good to use as your protein at lunch. Roast trays of vegetables on the weekend so you have extra, add some salad or soup, a container of mayo or guac or other fat, and you've got a whole meal.

You might consider keeping a can or two of tuna or salmon and a small bottle of olive oil at your desk -- in a pinch, if you've forgotten your lunch or have to work late or just are super hungry one day, you can pick up a plain salad somewhere, add the tuna or salmon and oil and you'll have a meal.

I cant believe its day 8 for me already. Was naighty on saturday didnt have anything to eat til 12pm i was ravenous & weak thank god i had a prepared salad & boiled eggs in the fridge - had to have a nap then didnt sleep well sat night wont be doing that again. Sunday was a better day managed to do 22164 steps on my fitbit - got in and finally prepped my vegie/herb gardens & walked around the markets. I have to try and time my bedtime right if i go to bed too early im tossing & turning in the wee hours of the morning. Have a great day all

@Minionme Sorry you had to learn that lesson the hard way, but good for you for having emergency food on hand!!

Yesterday was strange for me because of the timing of my workout... i ended up having to force myself to eat lunch even though I wasnt hungry so I could make good choices in the afternoon and be ready for dinner. I know that my hunger (or lack thereof) is based on my messed up hormone responses, so I'm just trying to push through!

Congratulations on getting through your first week!!

22 hours ago, ThisSydneyGuy said:

WOAH - morning of day 7 for me and I have woken up with a splitting headache... I'm definitely in a rough patch. I am thinking it may have something to do with the fact that I had a few too many organic raisins yesterday and two dates with a boiled egg and avocado for an afternoon "meal"; though I'm also thinking it may just be my delayed come-down off sugar in general. 

Thanks for that insight! I haven't had a headache in over 3 years and I had one yesterday. In thinking about it, I had way too much fruit throughout the day - I need to be more mindful of that! Today is so much better.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well and colds and other yucky feelings are settling down.  One week in the bag again! Feels great. Onward!  :)

There are a few of you reporting headaches, and suggesting they're linked to fruit. My guess is that they're NOT linked to fruit, but rather to a lack of water, lack of salt, lack of fat, or not enough food in general... Under-eating is very common in the early stages, as is a lack of fat.

If any of you would like to check that you're on the right track please feel free to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake so as we can take a look and suggest some tweaks if necessary.

If those two dates, boiled egg & avocado were an actual meal @ThisSydneyGuy rather than a mini meal then you are not eating nearly enough...

Day 8 of this--I really like it.  I've started back training for long distance triathlons so I'm balancing the carb and training load. On Saturday a three hour (moderate intensity) bike ride I had 2 Lara Bars. On Sunday I had a 45 minute swim in the a.m. and a 5 mile run in the p.m.  I fueled with sweet potato/2 eggs pre swimming and a pear about an hour before run. I need carbs pre exercise....the fat + protein equation isn't enough for me. Today's meal forecast is:

5:30 a.m. Coffee + Coconut milk

7:30 a.m. Spinach with a grass fed (Eel River) Ground beef patty, Dulse and Nutritional Yeast; 1 Tbsp Coconut Butter

Herbal Tea

10:45 Pre 1:15 Master's Swim and 35 minute Strength session--1.5 Cups Raspberries with 2 Tbsp Coconut Milk.....optional Pear post Swim pre Strength

Post Swim and Strength 1:45-4 ounces Sweet Potato, 2 each Chicken-Cilantro-Celery Salad, Avocado and Spinach in a Nori Wrap

1 Cup Bone Broth (I made my own--bought a chicken, cut off the breast, cooked in crockpot with 2 sprigs rosemary + celery + black peppercorns + onion  + carrot)  Added 2 tsp cider vinegar and sea salt. Strained. The QUALITY of the chicken matters. High quality chicken yields a nice, gelatinous broth. I picked over the carcass and the dog has had dark meat and vegetable scraps mixed in his food all week.  I used the two breast for the Chicken Salad (which will yield two meals)

Dinner Puree of Broccoli Soup (Vitamix Cooked Onion + Broccoli, a few Cashews for creaminess, Garlic, Spinach, Cider Vinegar Sea Salt and Pepper) plus 3 scrambled eggs in coconut oil OR 3 ounces Chicken Liver Pate over 1/2 Cup Raw Sauerkraut (haven't decided yet)

I'm going to see if that's enough with the training. I'm coming back from iron-deficient anemia and low ferratin. I was basically vegan until about 11 weeks ago

Have a great day everyone!

4 hours ago, jmcbn said:

There are a few of you reporting headaches, and suggesting they're linked to fruit. My guess is that they're NOT linked to fruit, but rather to a lack of water, lack of salt, lack of fat, or not enough food in general... Under-eating is very common in the early stages, as is a lack of fat.

If any of you would like to check that you're on the right track please feel free to post a few days worth of your food/liquid intake so as we can take a look and suggest some tweaks if necessary.

If those two dates, boiled egg & avocado were an actual meal @ThisSydneyGuy rather than a mini meal then you are not eating nearly enough...

I think you're absolutely right.  In retrospect I ate hardly any fat and it was a very low water day for me.  As I've changed that, I feel 100% better!  Thanks!

Archived