Starting 1st W30 Oct 10!

HilaryR

I definitely get enough water (2 liters a day), enough salt, and fat with every meal, plus a complex carb with dinner. It's possible that I am not eating enough, but I don't seem to get headaches unless I ignore the hunger feelings in my stomach!

I have definitely been hungry the past two days (Days 7 & 8 for me.) Breakfast yesterday was 2 1/2 eggs, plus 1 cup spinach, 1/2 avocado, 3/4 of an eating orange. Lunch was a grilled hamburger, hash browned potatoes, a tossed salad with oil and vinegar dressing (restaurant). Dinner was a turkey burger, 1/2 large baked potato with ghee, 1 cup broccoli, 1 Tbl. homemade paleo mayonnaise, 3/4 cup raspberries. I had a handful of plain roasted almonds in the car in the late afternoon because I was very hungry and had a one-hour drive to make.

Today's breakfast was Mexican eggs (2 eggs. onions, sweet peppers, 2+ oz. ground turkey and meat sauce from last week's all-meat chili), 1 cup papaya cubes, 1/2 avocado. Lunch: spinach salad with 1/4 cup strawberries, 2 Tbl chopped almonds and oil and lemon juice dressing, plus several slices of roast turkey (I'm guessing 3 oz. or more). Planned dinner is a large pork chop, boiled sweet potato (probably 1/2 to 3/4 cup), home made apple sauce (no sweetener), 1 cup Normandy vegetables. Because I am hungry right now, and it's only 4:45 pm. I will probably eat a hard boiled egg.

My energy is good, as is my mood, although I seem to be waking up after only 7-71/2 hour of sleep. My usual is eight.

P.S. I still seem to have a short fuse, but maybe my impatience has more to do with the full moon than with Whole 30! It's not quite "kill all things," but I definitely am more easily annoyed than usual by bad drivers, chatty colleagues who prattle on and on about nothing, and pets who can't decide if they want to be inside or outside!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jmb369 said:

I definitely get enough water (2 liters a day), enough salt, and fat with every meal, plus a complex carb with dinner. It's possible that I am not eating enough, but I don't seem to get headaches unless I ignore the hunger feelings in my stomach!

I have definitely been hungry the past two days (Days 7 & 8 for me.) Breakfast yesterday was 2 1/2 eggs, plus 1 cup spinach, 1/2 avocado, 3/4 of an eating orange. Lunch was a grilled hamburger, hash browned potatoes, a tossed salad with oil and vinegar dressing (restaurant). Dinner was a turkey burger, 1/2 large baked potato with ghee, 1 cup broccoli, 1 Tbl. homemade paleo mayonnaise, 3/4 cup raspberries. I had a handful of plain roasted almonds in the car in the late afternoon because I was very hungry and had a one-hour drive to make.

Today's breakfast was Mexican eggs (2 eggs. onions, sweet peppers, 2+ oz. ground turkey and meat sauce from last week's all-meat chili), 1 cup papaya cubes, 1/2 avocado. Lunch: spinach salad with 1/4 cup strawberries, 2 Tbl chopped almonds and oil and lemon juice dressing, plus several slices of roast turkey (I'm guessing 3 oz. or more). Planned dinner is a large pork chop, boiled sweet potato (probably 1/2 to 3/4 cup), home made apple sauce (no sweetener), 1 cup Normandy vegetables. Because I am hungry right now, and it's only 4:45 pm. I will probably eat a hard boiled egg.

My energy is good, as is my mood, although I seem to be waking up after only 7-71/2 hour of sleep. My usual is eight.

P.S. I still seem to have a short fuse, but maybe my impatience has more to do with the full moon than with Whole 30! It's not quite "kill all things," but I definitely am more easily annoyed than usual by bad drivers, chatty colleagues who prattle on and on about nothing, and pets who can't decide if they want to be inside or outside!

When eggs are your only protein, have as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand, which is probably 3-4 for most people. So maybe yesterday's breakfast could have used that other half an egg or maybe another whole one, or some other protein. Was that one cup of cooked spinach or raw? If raw, that's not necessarily very much, perhaps you could have used more vegetables.

Some people find that when they have fruit with breakfast, they actually feel hungrier and have more cravings than if they save the fruit for later in the day -- you could try bumping the fruit to your later meals instead.

If you are hungry, definitely eat. If you're consistently unable to go 4-5 hours between meals, look at making your meals bigger. Keep in mind that the template is a range -- 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (and that's length, width, and depth of your palm); 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (or heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, half to a whole avocado, etc.); and then fill the plate with vegetables.  If you're going 4-5 hours between meals, but have very long days where you need another meal, that's fine, just have some protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

End of day 9 and I'm feeling fine! Had my first taste of the clear energy this morning and woke up strangely happy. Unfortunately due to work, my day devolved into a bit of a "kill all the things" afternoon. The stress of work and my short temper led to a few flame emails! 

I wanted to share my meal plan for today for review by some of the seasoned pro's. 

Breakfast 

- Leftover Beef mince stir fry (kale, pepper, sweet potatoe), side Brussel sprouts (red onion), roasted sweet potatoe, 1/2 avocado pumpkin & coffee.

Lunch 

- chicken protein salad (celery, mandarin slices, rice wine vinegar, cashews, bean sprouts, cos lettuce), pink lady Apple 

light afternoon snack

- coconut chips, hard boiled egg, mandarin

Dinner

- 2 beef sausages, Brussel sprouts side, roast pumpkin and sweet potatoe and sautéed onions. Blueberries. 

I am yet to step up my exercise regime and have set myself a goal of working out 3 times this week. 

Any advice/ thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

Breakfast looks good @ThisSydneyGuy, lunch looks okay (it could do with more veg if I'm honest), but dinner looks like it needs more fat. Ignore what you're using to cook with & add an additional source at each meal - it's hard to go overboard with the fat and it will help immensely with cravings, satiety, energy, hunger, brain health, and all kinds of things.

Is your day particularly long that you need that mid afternoon snack? If not I'd aim to up the size of lunch to negate the need for that... And if you do need it I'd switch the mandarin for a veg, or the mandarin & the coconut chips for some mayo, or you may find you start using those as a bit of a crutch for your sugar dragon.

Morning of day 10 feel great. Must admit im not drinking anywhere near my daily water intake so today im working on that.  Received some essential oils yesterday me being the bright spark i am i sprinkled some lavendar on a cloth at work & had it sitting under my computer screen -  bad move i spent the rest of the afternoon yawning my head off ha ha, needless to say i crashed last night . I cant believe i no longer come home from work & go straight to the fridge to see what goodies are there - happy & fulfilled on my 3 meals a day woohoo. Have a great day everyone

Where is everyone? Still hanging in, I hope!

I had a good day yesterday (Tuesday), and thanks for the idea to eliminate fruit at breakfast. It definitely kept the hunger at bay.

Today I went out for breakfast with a friend and ordered beefsteak in red sauce. It was tasty, albeit a little spicier than I like. My stomach did NOT like it, however. I've had a belly ache all afternoon. Feels like gas pains, but higher. I am sipping ginger tea right now. This, too shall pass. If I have anything this evening, it will be chicken broth (homemade bone broth.)

I am sleeping better and longer, although I still feel as if I have a shortage of patience. Not quite "kill all things," but close! I should go back to my Whole 30 book and read up on Day 10! By the way, my copy of FFF has arrived at my mailbox pickup point, and I'll get it tomorrow. I am eager to read it over the next 3 weeks because I am considering doing Whole 45 or Whole 60. I definitely got derailed when I did the reintroduction the last time, and I don't want to repeat that mistake.

Day 10! woohoo! Staying strong here! I hope its the same with everyone. I am finally able to run 3 miles with non-stop! I did have an afternoon snack today. which I know is not a deal breaker but I'm a little disappointed at myself because I am trying to fight afternoon boredom.

Still here :) I have been juggling a busy work schedule and a spouse who has come down with a bad cold. I actually feel like the W30 is the easy part! :)

Due to my meeting/commute schedule I haven't been great at regular meal times so have had some more headaches but today is looking better for that.

There is one odd thing I have been experiencing, I have a strange sweet taste in my mouth (or all food tastes sweet to me, even if it's not a "sweet" food). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Have a great day 11 everyone!!

Yesterday I was out of town for a field trip but I packed my lunch and everything went well except that every kid in my van was eating chocolate!  Those little brats were even sharing and passing the chocolate around.  I somehow managed not to pull the van over and pry the chocolate out of their hands.  Today is day 10 and I checked the How it Goes for day 10 and it is spot on.  Day 10 & 11 are the biggest quit days on the Whole30 timeline.  Tonight will be another Test because i have a meeting over dinner and it is only my second meeting with this club.   Last month we had salad and pasta so I am going to eat a snack before I got and bring some homemade ranch and plan for salad.  Several of the women have gluten allergies so I won't be the only one eating portions of the meal.  

Just a few more days until I get Tiger Blood!  Good Luck everyone and thanks for sharing.

9 hours ago, HilaryR said:

There is one odd thing I have been experiencing, I have a strange sweet taste in my mouth (or all food tastes sweet to me, even if it's not a "sweet" food). Is anyone else experiencing this?

Have a great day 11 everyone!!

@HilaryR - haven't had the taste in my mouth like that, but have had cravings for sweets.  I think things do taste sweeter on their own over time too.  I made some no sugar added apple butter yesterday and it tastes plenty sweet to me!  Hang tough! :)

Morning of day 13 and feeling good! Thanks for the advice re: my meal plan, & have been stepping up the avocado intake and it has been making a difference. The whole30 has kind of just fit into my life and I have found myself forgetting about it every once in a while ( a good thing I guess?).

I struggled a bit with energy levels again this week, though it has more to do with work and life then diet. I also think my sugar expulsion has taken the whole two week period! 

My job requires me to eat out a lot and last night was no exception, I was a little annoyed because I think I accidentally consumed some off plan ingredients though I'm not going to let it derail me. I took pride in the fact that I didn't touch the desserts and had a refreshing green tea instead. 

I got good news yesterday that I have to head to London and Amsterdam for work on the 4th, pre the completion of my whole30. It's an incentive trip and is kind of a once in a lifetime thing. I think I'm going to have to stop my whole 30 early and commit to myself to pick it up when I get back (1 week later). I've decided that I'm going to add another 15 days of total compliance (and take this to the end of November) to feel good about it all. 

Lastly, I went back to a bikram yoga after a long break and Loved it! I'm annoyed I didn't return sooner, it was everything my body needed and more. I'm committing to 3 classes a week until the end of November also. 

Hope you are all well! Whole30 best wishes from Australia :) 

@ThisSydneyGuy Congratulations on the good news about work! How exciting :) RE staying on plan when traveling for your incentive trip - only you can decide what is right for you, and it sounds like you have thought it through. I think that you have what sounds like a good plan! 

I also like that you added Bikram in! I lived within walking distance of a studio in college and it was the best! :) I was actually thinking about going to a Bikram class soon - I have been doing HIIT workouts at OrangeTheory and feel like I am losing some flexibility... it may be good to balance with some hot yoga.

Congrats again - hope you have a great day 14!!

I have enjoyed following everyone's posts.  They have kept me motivated and given some great advice.  I am finding day 12 to be my most challenging.  I am starved (yes, I am getting plenty of healthy fats, proteins, and veggies).  I have no cravings, I just want to keep eating.  I am not looking forward to going to a party tonight knowing that my choices will be limited.  I will definitely fuel up before going out but wish that I were going somewhere with a delicious Whole30 buffet.

I hope that everyone's weekend is going well.  I look forward to hearing more updates. 

On 10/22/2016 at 1:59 PM, gchaps said:

I have enjoyed following everyone's posts.  They have kept me motivated and given some great advice.  I am finding day 12 to be my most challenging.  I am starved (yes, I am getting plenty of healthy fats, proteins, and veggies).  I have no cravings, I just want to keep eating.  I am not looking forward to going to a party tonight knowing that my choices will be limited.  I will definitely fuel up before going out but wish that I were going somewhere with a delicious Whole30 buffet.

I hope that everyone's weekend is going well.  I look forward to hearing more updates. 

@gchaps - Hi - Did you make it through day 12? If you did, it will be smooth sailing from here! You should be about half way now. Congrats!!

@marnoldpt - Yes.  I made it through the weekend.  It was interesting, I thought that I would be tempted by off plan food while I was out.  Instead, I was actually turned off by the sight of much of the processed, fired, or sugary foods.  I actually craved whole fresh foods.  I even tried some new recipes. 

How is your journey going?

My gosh day 16 for me over the half way mark. Im feeling great. Ive started dabbling in essential oils i really do believe this has helped me with my moods/feelings/sleep etc. i cant believe im feeling so good. I ate a medjool date yesterday which i looove i couldnt believe how sweet it tasted i thought hooly dooly who added the extra sugar i usually eat two at a time but not then it was sweet! Had a person comment positively on my appearance yesterday which was a 'go me' moment certainly made me hold my head up that little bit higher. Hope everyone is going very well and hanging in there its all down hill from hereonin xx

I'm jumping in here since everyone seems to be on a similar timeline as I am on. 

I'm currently on day 14. I have been constipated since day 1 and I'm about lose my patience. Anyone have any suggestions?

I usually take fish oil, vitamin d, digestive enzymes, zinc, and magnesium at night *if I remember* and I drink homemade kombucha daily. 

Today I have stopped taking all vitamins and will only take the digestive enzymes. I have also added a stool softener to see if that will help. Thoughts? 

I have been tracking my food on instagram at @fitmomma_pk but can also list some meals if you think it'll help! 

• Moderators

@MrsKennel 

If you would like help with troubleshooting, your best bet is to open a trouble shooting thread with your concern. Include a few days of your meals (specific protein, veggies, fat including portion sizes related to the template), fluid intake, snacking if any, medications as relevant, exercise and we can see if there's anything that stands out.

Please list the meals in words instead of directing to instagram... many of the moderators help out during work and we can't be sifting through instagram :)

@MrsKennel I am not a moderator, but I had major problems with constipation the first time I did Whole 30. I took magnesium 3x a day for nearly a week, then 2x a day then once. I took it with meals. You must drink lots of water when you take magnesium, as it works by pulling water out of your body. If you are totally blocked, try milk of magnesia. This is a laxative, but one of the mildest and most natural. It's definitely better than a trip to the ER. Once you get back on track, you can eliminate the magnesium. It's also important to get enough fiber. The only reason I track my food (not recommended by Whole 30, by the way) is to ensure that I am getting 25-35 grams of fiber/day. And d rink water, drink water, drink water.

Otherwise, folks, I am doing okay. I've had some stomach upsets and some joint pains, so it's not been all smooth sailing, but I've reached the halfway point. Yippee! Actually I plan on doing a Whole 45 or Whole 60, so I am not really halfway! My FFF book arrived last Thursday, but my reading time has been devoted to a book for my monthly book club meeting, which is tomorrow. After that, I'll start reading FFF.

Yeah! Day 16! This is my third Whole30 so I haven't had much trouble.  I learned after the first one that prepping/planning is key and I stock my pantry and fridge better (not overstocking like the first time). I am on a return to health journey that started 3 years ago...have normalized BP (no more meds), have a lower than normal RHR, have lots of energy, no longer have itchy dermatitis patches, can run 10 miles, and cycle 200 miles in a day! Oh - and I've lost 135#!!! So I would say the Whole30 has been a godsend for me! Happy continued journey everyone!!

Good for you @marnoldpt! You inspire me to stay with it. I did a great job in July when I did the first one, but got derailed in August and September when I tried reintroducing some of my problematical foods. This time I have been "less than 100%."

Someone posted yesterday that medjool dates tasted ultra sweet. I agree. In fact, just eating one on Sunday afternoon and another yesterday unleashed my Sugar Dragon! I was grocery shopping for Whole 30 foods this morning, and succumbed to a 70% dark chocolate bar on the way out. (I was not hungry, just craving chocolate, and I only ate a few squares, ...BUT!) My conscience tells me to start over again, but since I was planning to do 45 or 60 days this time, I will simply get back on plan and keep going at least to the end of November. My challenge will be that I have a yoga workshop that runs through the last two weekends of November with only 15-minute lunch breaks, so I will have to do some major preparations to ensure I am not hungry AND I stay on plan.

I will continue to post here if everyone stays; otherwise I'll go looking for a group of people planning on starting October 31/November 1.

Archived