Best Crab Cakes I've Ever Had

Taylor Herman

• 4 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter/other fat
  • 1 diced red onion
  • 4 stalks diced celery
  • 1 diced red bell pepper
  • 1 diced yellow bell pepper
  • 1 zucchini (shredded and squeeze water out)
  • 1 tablespoon capers, drained (optional)
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (optional)
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons crab boil seasoning (recommended: Old Bay)
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 12 oz (or more, up to a pound) lump crabmeat, drained and picked to remove shells
  • 1/2 cup almond flour (or other nut flour)
  • 1/2 cup homemade mayonnaise
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
  • For frying
  • 4 tablespoons of whatever fat you like

Place the 4 tablespoons ghee/other fat of choice, onion, celery, red and yellow bell peppers, zucchini, capers, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire sauce, crab boil seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large saute pan over medium-low heat and cook vegetables (15 minutes if you want them soft, less if you like them crunchy like me). Cool to room temperature. In a large bowl, break the lump crabmeat into small pieces and toss with the almond flour, mayonnaise, mustard, and eggs. Add the cooked mixture and mix well. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 + minutes. Shape into bite-sized crab cakes.

Heat your fat of choice for frying over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the crab cakes and fry for 4 minutes on each side, until browned. Drain on paper towels; keep them warm in a 250 degree oven and serve hot. Or freeze them and eat as you like!

post-431-0-84697700-1350075595_thumb.jpe

post-431-0-16913100-1350075597_thumb.jpe

I use a homemade worcestershire. I should have mentioned that. It calls for soy sauce but you can leave that out if you like since its not Whole30 compliant. I don't do the Whole30 year round (I do paleo mostly with the Whole30 thrown in when I feel like I need it).

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp soy sauce ( Mod edit to call attention to this as not Whole30 compliant.  No form of soy is allowed)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp black pepper

Just combine all ingredients in a saucepan and slowly bring to a bowl while stirring frequently. Let simmer for about a minute or two before letting it cool and storing it in the fridge!

I don't think there is a compliant Worcestershire sauce.. I use coconut aminos.

That's what I'm using but, for me, it just doesn't have anywhere near the depth of flavour of either Worcestershire sauce or organic tamari. I also miss fish sauce as I can't find one anywhere in the UK without sugar

• 3 years later...

Hi friends! I tried another recipe this weekend that is MUCH easier than this, and sooo good!! Here is the recipe:

1 cup lump crab meat

1 egg, beaten

2tsp compliant Dijon Mustard

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

2 tsp Old Bay seasoning

2tbsp parsley, chopped

1.5tbsp coconut flour

2 tbsp coconut oil 

In a small bowl mix wet ingredients: Egg, dijon mustard & lemon. 

In another bowl mix dry ingredients: old bay, parsley & coconut flour. 

Add wet ingredients to the lump crab & mix thoroughly. Then add the dry ingrdients. 

Heat 2tbsp coconut oil in a nonstick saute pan. 

Makes about 8 small crab cakes. Cook on each side for about 2-3 mins or until golden brown. Made these over the weekend & my husband (who isn't doing whole30) said they were delicious & couldn't even tell the difference! 

Archived