October 3rd start

frogtox

Good morning all! Here's to week 2. Glad to see so many more names here today. :)

I spent six hours in the kitchen yesterday cooking and prepping food for this week. It's insane... and no wonder I fall off plan so quickly with each time I do this. I love the food so much and how I feel, if I had a private chef I could eat this way forever. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all!  I started on October 4th and am new to the Forum.  Still trying to figure out how to use it, post comments, follow threads, etc..  :-).  @frogtox, I totally agree about prepping ahead -- I find that if I don't have things pre-made life is a LOT harder.  Yesterday I made a triple batch of meatballs and two pounds of hamburgers to freeze (for our family of four) for those nights when I need a quick compliant meal.  Otherwise we might starve (ha ha)!  Looking forward to following your journies through this thread -- I know you guys will inspire me!

I felt like I spent my whole weekend in the kitchen!!! It will be worth it when I don't have to cook this week. I have NO motivation to cook on weeknights (which isn't usually a problem since it's just me and my husband). I did have fun cooking, though. Forgot how much I enjoy it.

With a 10/5 start date, I am definitely feeling the energy-zapped sleepiness of day 6! At least I don't have the usual Monday morning post-football hangover.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday! 

Seems like everyone's having food prep business... Maybe we can share time-savers?

I always grill 5# of chicken breast and bake several sweet potatoes, then chop veggies for salads (which is my go to lunchtime meal).

I have Well Fed and pick two recipes every week to try new (this week it's scotch eggs and Rogan Josh). I think these 'new recpies' are what takes me so long... but I can't survive for 30 days on chicken breast, sweet potato and salad. :)

So today I grabbed the wrong container and ended up with breakfast for lunch. I'm a little disappointed but I'm also proud of myself for asking the food truck vendor what oil he uses to smoke his tri tip before caving in on buying a splurge meal. Ended up having my second breakfast for the day and asked a coworker to bring me back some guacamole for some added fat. 

Nice job saying no to the food truck, MadGab!

My food prep was all about things I could put in the freezer - burgers, meatballs, breakfast casserole, salmon cakes, and marinated chicken breasts. I guess I'm a little wary of batch prepping fridge items like salad veggies since I'm notorious for letting veggies go bad in the fridge, but I need to remind myself that the difference now is that I'm actually eating a ton of veggies, whereas before it was just wishful thinking.

I just ate lunch (turkey burger, sweet potato mash, asparagus), and when I opened the fridge I discovered than my husband had eaten half of my burger. Argh!!! And of course the others are all frozen... I guess that's the problem when your "diet" foods taste so darn good.

4 hours ago, becs said:

Nice job saying no to the food truck, MadGab!

My food prep was all about things I could put in the freezer - burgers, meatballs, breakfast casserole, salmon cakes, and marinated chicken breasts. I guess I'm a little wary of batch prepping fridge items like salad veggies since I'm notorious for letting veggies go bad in the fridge, but I need to remind myself that the difference now is that I'm actually eating a ton of veggies, whereas before it was just wishful thinking.

I just ate lunch (turkey burger, sweet potato mash, asparagus), and when I opened the fridge I discovered than my husband had eaten half of my burger. Argh!!! And of course the others are all frozen... I guess that's the problem when your "diet" foods taste so darn good.

I used to throw away vegetables that I never got around to eating. Now I roast a lot of vegs to have during the week. If they start looking a bit long in the tooth I throw them in some chicken broth to make a soup. Sometimes I leave them whole, sometimes I purée them for breakfast soup. When I drink morning soup, it takes the place of coffee, not my vegs in my template meal. 

I don't feel like I'm doing much extra food prep but we already had hb eggs in the fridge, I made mayo on a whim, & I have quite a bit of a compliant soup in the freezer.  I was also lazy & bought pre chopped veggies & my backyard garden is still generously providing salad veggies & other yummy things.  I'm also a sahm so I have the luxury of pulling stuff out & simmering away while doing other fun things like laundry.  

I'm also sticking with really simple meals/snacks at the moment.

I'm still working out the kinks in my meal prepping. I have to consider making enough for both myself and the boyfriend. I always have hard boiled eggs in the fridge and bags of mixed greens for quick salads. This weekend I prepared 1.75 lbs of brisket but that was only enough for 3 leftovers. I also have roasted red pepper sauce to add to fried eggs or chicken. I made a large batch of roasted butternut squash and brussels sprouts. Tomorrow I'll be grilling some chicken sausage and chicken breasts to toss into salads. 

@Mistyfire - how long do your roasted veggies stay fresh in the fridge? I guess it obviously depends on the type of veg. I like the idea of roasting up squashes and potatoes, and cutting up tougher veggies like onions and red peppers in advance. I will definitely try that for next week. I may also plan a mid-week shopping trip for veggies to make sure nothing goes bad. I think I definitely need more of them on my plate.

@kellydawne - I work from home, which I assume makes sticking to the Whole30 easier than it would be if I had to deal with work-place temptations. Kinda hoping I don't have to travel for work this month, though! Travel is always really tough for me.

On October 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM, frogtox said:

Good luck Kellydawne! I'm a runner too, although part of my problem lately is that I haven't been running regularly enough and my weight started creeping up. When that happens my motivation dips more, then my diet goes to heck... vicious cycle.  I think over the next few weeks my gut is going to do a lot of healing. After five days I already feel better, although my heartburm is still killing me. 

I love cheese and wine too (not in that order, lol)... no sweet tooth here, but I could eat an entire bag of cheese popcorn in one sitting. :)

4windsrider, how are you doing?

Frogtox, I'm doing really well so far. Headaches mostly.  Spent a weekend with an old friend who is doing this with me and we DIDN"T drink wine !   Huge accomplishment ! So good to feel the success of success !  (-;

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 4windsrider said:

Hmmm...can't remember how to reply to an individual post....There is no "Reply" button visible in that window so I used the "Quote" button.

Any techies willing to remind me of the proper process ??

Quoting or tagging the person  (type the @ symbol with their username squished up against it, a list will pop up for you to choose from) are really the only way to reply to individuals. This particular forum doesn't do nested replies where you can reply specifically to a particular post.

Hello. I am new to the forum and to whole30. so I am not sure if this is the place to write, but Insee a lot of people in this thread started the 5th.  I also started on the 5th, so tomorrow will be my first week.. I have horrible brain fog and feeling dizzy and disoriented spells.. Still have them, is it normal guys?

I have my salt and potassium covered (bananas) but thinking lack of magnesium is giving me this dizziness. 

Anybody with the same problem?

I am also cooking more. Eating more fats than usual (avocado, clarified butter)... plenty of fruits and not so many green veggies. As far of protein this program is hard for me since I am not use to get that much protein from animal meat. I am sick of my stomach a bit nauseus.

Sticking to it because I heard very good things about it.

Nice to meet all of you

• Moderators

@Angelina_B some tiredness is normal, but dizzy, lightheaded, disoriented, and brain fog really aren't. Many, many people undereat when they start whole30, and that can certainly cause the symptoms you mention.

Build each of your meals to meet the meal template, which is linked in my signature, or you can find it by looking above in the menu under Whole30->Downloads.

You are probably having too much fruit -- we'do recommend limiting that to a couple of fist-sized servings a day, always with meals. Have a variety of vegetables. Most people do well with a fist-sized servings of starchy vegetables each day, and people who are active, who are prone to depression or anxiety, and women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or in the week or so leading up to their period often need more. 

If you want specific feedback on your meals, post a couple of days' worth in the Troubleshooting section of the forum, including approximate portion sizes, specific types of vegetables you're having, and your level of activity.

@becsI usually roast a bunch of vegs on Sunday and since my refrigerator runs pretty cold, they're good through Thursday or Friday- then they become soup. I do broccoli, cauliflower, squash, asparagus, green beans..... i steam zucchini and yellow squash. I sauté onion and mushrooms. Then I mix and match with proteins, olive oil and seasonings all week. Last night I did a red pepper, green pepper, onion and hamburger stir fry that will last 4 lunches. I don't mind repeating meals when they taste good. 

10 hours ago, 4windsrider said:

Frogtox, I'm doing really well so far. Headaches mostly.  Spent a weekend with an old friend who is doing this with me and we DIDN"T drink wine !   Huge accomplishment ! So good to feel the success of success !  (-;

Hi, I'm 4windsriders friend.  One way I've been trying to stay ahead of the cooking is to use a digital pressure cooker, saves time and there are lots of leftovers.  You can find Whole30 recipes for the pressure cooker online.  I'm feeling a little less fatigue after the first week, but my heartburn is bothering me.  Any suggestions???

Well, here's to midway through week 2...but who's counting?  Actually, I start finding that I feel so much better after awhile on this program that I don't hold my breath waiting for the end.  Anyway, feeling decent this morning. Work-days are always a bit harder because breaks are short and I have to "wolf" down a large amount of food so as not to get hungry later when I can't eat.  

I have to fly this weekend and NOT having a cocktail (or 2) on the plane will be a big 1st for me!  La Croix coconut and La Croix Nicola have been great for evening sipping to conquer the "happy hour dragon" !  (-;

@ShannonM816 thanks for the tip on replying.  And THANKS to HQ for getting the multi-posting bug under control !  

@Mistyfire - thanks for the tips! I will definitely be roasted up some veggies for the week this Sunday. I need more variety, anyways!

@Angelina_B - welcome to the group! I started on the 5th, as well. Looking forward to a successful week two. Hope your doc can help you out.

I am finally starting to feel a bit more energy in the mornings, which is one of my big goals on this program. I love getting up early, but I have a hard time dragging myself out of bed most days. I didn't get up quite as early as I would have liked this morning, but I can tell I'm moving in the right direction. I'm also not slumping at all during the day, and don't feel any hunger between meals. Hurrah!

Regarding fruit - is it bad NOT to eat any fruit? Or to eat it only occasionally? Wondering how important it is to fit it in every day. I've never been a huge fruit fan, and since the program limits it, I just haven't been focusing on it at all. I have a feeling I probably need to add it in since fruit is part of the meal template...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, becs said:

Regarding fruit - is it bad NOT to eat any fruit? Or to eat it only occasionally? Wondering how important it is to fit it in every day. I've never been a huge fruit fan, and since the program limits it, I just haven't been focusing on it at all. I have a feeling I probably need to add it in since fruit is part of the meal template...

Hi @becs - fruit is completely optional, there are lots of people (including myself and other mods) that don't eat it at all. Veggies provide everything and more in a more bioavailable form than fruit does so just rotate through a good variety and quantity of veggies and you're all set!

Archived