Mayo - lemon juice or apple cider vinegar?

So even before I did the Whole30, I had started making my own mayo. The recipe I use (which I got from a friend) is exactly the same recipe that is in Well Fed (http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/), but it uses apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice. The Well Fed book says that you can replace the lemon juice with vinegar, so I guess it's a known variation.

My question is--has anyone tried it both ways? If so, which way do you prefer? I'm thinking about trying the lemon juice way just to see how I like it, but since I like the vinegar way just fine I'm also hesistant to change a good thing. :)

Thanks!

I can taste the lemon in the lemon variety and love it. I have tried making egg-free mayo with ACV, and the sharp flavor of the vinegar came through really strongly, but I don't know how much of that was due to the other ingredients attempting to compensate for the lack of egg. I'm curious to hear what Derval thinks of the vinegar variety, as I feel the same way as you about changing a good thing, only for me the good thing is the lemon variety! :D

I can tell the difference, but I can't say I like one better over the other. They are just different. You should try the lemon and see what you think. I like cayenne in my mayo made with lemon juice, but not in mayo made with apple cider vinegar. Who knows! :)

I switch it up based on what it's going into. Lobster salad with lemon juice mayo is awesome. Chicken salad/deviled eggs/etc, I reach for the ACV. (I've done red wine vinegar too, ftr)

Okay, that's it..now I need two jars of mayo going all the time. :) I have some really special cabernet wine vinegar that I always forget to use. I wonder if my mayo will be a very light pink? That would be awesome. Going to make it this afternoon and will report in how that one tastes.

Okay, that's it..now I need two jars of mayo going all the time. :)

I've only used lemon in mine, but I do keep two jars of mayo in the fridge. One plain and the other is a chipotle mayo. I use the Well Fed recipe.

I used lemon the first couple times, and I think it emulsified better, ACV most recently. They are both really good, not sure if I have a preference. ACV is certainly easier, I really only used it because like Derval, I forgot to buy lemon and my egg was already warming up!

Just read through the posts. I use ACV because its easy. Like it with lemon too. But then I just had a thought...

Has anyone tried making mayo with lime juice? I think that might be worth a try.

I often take my mayo (made with ACV) and add lime juice and a little water plus a little bit of garlic powder to thin it out and use it as a topping for fish. I usually add pickles to my husband's portion. He can't seem to eat any fish without tartar sauce and this was the healthiest I could create for him...

Just read through the posts. I use ACV because its easy. Like it with lemon too. But then I just had a thought...

Has anyone tried making mayo with lime juice? I think that might be worth a try.

I often take my mayo (made with ACV) and add lime juice and a little water plus a little bit of garlic powder to thin it out and use it as a topping for fish. I usually add pickles to my husband's portion. He can't seem to eat any fish without tartar sauce and this was the healthiest I could create for him...

Oh no..now I need 4 mayo containers. Love the idea of lime for fish "taco" lettuce wraps.

I am about out of mayo and need to make some more.

SO MANY CHOICES. WHAT TO USE....WHAT TO USE?????

LOL...LOL

LOL Nancy. Apparently you are much healthier psychologically than I am because I want to make all of them. Eyeballing my neighbors to see who I can divvy up the goods with. ;)

I made THE BEST MAYO EVER. Seriously. It follows the standard Well Fed recipe but I used Olivado rosemary infused avocado oil instead of my usual macadamia oil. It hardens up a bit in the fridge and it is like buttah.

The Olivado oil is crazy expensive, but I'm going to try buying a much cheaper bottle of La Tourangelle avocado oil and infusing it with rosemary myself.

Archived