Mayo - lemon juice or apple cider vinegar?

I tried ACV this morning since I was in a hurry. I was quite skeptical. As PPs have said, it is thinner, and for that reason alone I may stick with lemon for the most part. When it was done it defnitely had a sharpish ACV scent, but I was really surprised when I tasted it because it was so mild. Again, when I made shirmp salad with it, there was a distinct ACV odor, but it was so tasty!

I love lemon madly so having lemon flavor in my mayo is a bonus, but if I don't have the time to juice a lemon (which takes no time but is messy and thus requires more cleanup) this is a good alternative. And lime mayo sounds outrageously good!

I tried ACV this morning since I was in a hurry. I was quite skeptical. As PPs have said, it is thinner, and for that reason alone I may stick with lemon for the most part. When it was done it defnitely had a sharpish ACV scent, but I was really surprised when I tasted it because it was so mild. Again, when I made shirmp salad with it, there was a distinct ACV odor, but it was so tasty!

I love lemon madly so having lemon flavor in my mayo is a bonus, but if I don't have the time to juice a lemon (which takes no time but is messy and thus requires more cleanup) this is a good alternative. And lime mayo sounds outrageously good!

My last batch turned out thin too. Not sure why. I have made very thick mayo before with ACV. But since I don't put it on bread, I am not sure it really matters if it is super thick. I always mix it with something like chicken and artichokes or use it to make a thinner sauce for fish or a salad dressing, so the thin consistency doesn't do much more than disappoint me slightly because it doesn't "look" as perfect...

I always mix it with something like chicken and artichokes or use it to make a thinner sauce for fish or a salad dressing, so the thin consistency doesn't do much more than disappoint me slightly because it doesn't "look" as perfect...

you have a point.... :)

I love love thick mayo. I was disappointed in the ACV. I think I will stick with lemon juice, but making it with avocado oil is definitely right up there in things I want to try. I am making it today with the 1/4 cup of coconut oil and the rest light flavored olive oil.

I have to have at least 3 cups of mayo (I think it was Laura who called me a mayo hoarder :) ) going so just made the .25 coconut oil and the avo oil both with lemone juice (lordy..at least I know I prefer lemon juice) and they are both awesome. I had a failure. I threw it out. I was cocky and not paying attention to the temp. I thought maybe warming the ingredients in my beaker would make it even thicker. I put the beaker in a soup bowl full of tap hot water. Dumb. I think I cooked the eggs because I was distracted.

Archived