Serving Sizes

EmilyVT

In the book there are a lot of recipes that yield a total amount but don't say a serving size. For instance, the tomato sauce on page 324 states that it makes 3 cups, what is a serving size? Same question for the rest of the sauces.  I'm a very literal person and will find it challenging to not measure portions but want to make sure I'm not overeating.  Thanks in advance 

I think to be in the philosophy of the Whole30 a portion is whatever you eat until you feel satisfied and satiated. If you eat slowly and mindfully portion sizes will come naturally.  Plus you can always adjust when you feel you've gone a bit overboard. ;)

@EmilyVT  I usually just try to make sure it's going to be enough, that way if anything, I have extra.  Plus, if you do end up with extra, you can try it on something else!

As for worrying about overeating:  Most people undereat on Whole30.  If you post a list of what you've been eating, I'm sure a mod will be able to chime in with more advice on whether or not your on the right track.  :)

• Moderators

Sauces are meant to add flavor to meat or vegetables, so there is no serving size. What you have to do is to decide how much flavor you want on your meat or your veggies. I would start with two tablespoons and keep adding until it looks right or tastes right to you. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, EmilyVT said:

Tom - does that serving size suggestion also the suggested serving size for tomato sauce? 2 tablespoons doesn't seem like a lot of sauce to accompany my roasted spaghetti squash?

Use as much sauce as you think tastes good.  The 2 tbsp suggestion was a place to start for people who just cannot relax and not measure things. I'm sure you'll want more tomato sauce than that on your spaghetti squash. 

Archived