Starting Tomorrow Oct 9! First Whole30

Rockinred

Hello!  I'm new to the Whole 30 forum.  My name is Angie and I'm starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow, Sunday Oct 9.  I'm looking for support and accountability. I'm excited to start feeling better and more importantly I'm hoping to gain food freedom.

Hi All! My name is Jess...I started yesterday...I was hoping there were a few people starting in October! Looking to make sure I stick with it this time! Having a tough Day 2...I am also giving up coffee this time...so that has been the hardest for me so far :'-( .  Happy W30-ing today :D 

Hi ladies!! Day 1 for my first Whole30 is tomorrow 10/10/16!! I'm a  Mt. Dew addict who has kicked the habit several times only to start back up after months/years of giving it up. I know better, but something in my reward center brings me back to it :-(.  I'm hopeful for a successful 30 days that will give me the re-set I need. Support by people on the same journey are important for me because it provides tips, tricks, and accountability. Does anyone wanna become Whole30 buddies??? I live in Central Pennsylvania :-)

Hey girls! It looks like we an awesome little group of Rockinred, kanmuri, ColoradoGirl, Linzy and KathrynME (that's me). Of course more are welcome, but let's be our cheering squad!

kanmuri - I totally get the isolation - that's' me too. I've told my son who's living with me at the moment, and other than him and my post on this forum, I haven't made any big announcements.

I've had a good day 1. I made myself a little sticky calendar this morning because I know visuals help me a lot. I took a photo and attached it. There was a moment this afternoon when I got up from doing some computer work to do something in the house, and before sitting back back down I unconsciously  started to head toward the kitchen for a little snack. I stopped myself and thought just how little I've been controlling my impulses to eat whenever and whatever. It felt good to recognize that and bypass the kitchen.

Do you all want to do a little introduction? About me: Live in Portland, OR, 50 years young, and used to be pretty physically active and fit. Divorced, two young adult kids. Two years ago I started to get lazy about exercising and eating well, telling myself I would start back up soon. Then menopause kicked in about 6 months ago, and suddenly I'm carrying around 20 extra pounds, with a layer around my middle that I know is super unhealthy. About that time my doctor gave me handout for the Whole30, which I came home, tossed on my desk and promptly forgot about it. I don't know why, but yesterday something clicked and I said "enough!"

So here I am :)

20161009_095402.jpg

Hello all!  I love our little group! I'm Angie in Chicago, IL.  I'm a 39 year old mother. I've been struggling with my health and my doctor recommended an anti inflammatory diet.  I keep trying a failing.  I'm determined to get healthy, improve my mood and energy levels, and lose some weight.  Ultimately I just want to be a good mom, wife and live a long healthy life.  

I recently listened to an interview with Melissa Hartwig about her new book Food Freedom.  What she said really resonated with me and then it led to me reading more about Whole 30.  And now here I am starting a whole 30.

day 1 done!

Let me know how you are all doing.  Coloradogirl, your on day 2, right?  And Linzy, you're starting tomorrow right? Kanmuri, what day are you on?

Anyone else want to join our little support group?  All are welcome!

Angie

Hi everyone,

I'm Stephanie,  I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.  I'm 35, divorced with no kids.  I was lucky enough to grow up with a mother who never dieted.  I never had body or weight issues.  I started getting a bit curious about health when I was 26 and tried different things (blood type diet, vegan diet, now on paleo) to get healthier.  Sadly, after I moved back to Canada from Japan (lived there for a while,)  I lived with a roommate who was obsessed with calories (weighing food, etc.) and the gym.  I'm glad she introduced me to exercise and the gym ( I was pretty sedentary) but I soon started counting calories and becoming obsessed with my weight.  That led to a binge eating disorder I am still battling to this day (since we're honest, I'm in the midst of a binge I hope to put an end to by doing the Whole30 again.  I had been binge free for over 100 days before that.)  I worked as a personal trainer for a while and that didn't help me with my body image.  I ended up with body dysmorphia.  Other than that, I battle yeast overgrowth and IBS.  I'm hoping to use the Food Freedom Forever to achieve... well, just that. :)

Hi All! Starting Day 3 for me today :D

A little about me: I am a 42 year old PhD student...I guess I am a non-traditional student, lol.  I am having some major stress related problems....esophageal reflux causing coughing and hoarse voice..and irritating my asthma. The asthma was a result of chemical exposure about 6 years ago...and that improved dramatically when I improved my diet in the past (I have done 2 whole 30s and I ate mostly w30 for about 6 months last year, lost weight and felt great...and then got slowly off the wagon...and then I think the wagon ran me over, lol!).  I am also pretty sure my adrenal glands are just shot right now too :-/.  It is hard to stop drinking coffee and alcohol, but I am hoping once I get over this first week hump I will start feeling better again. I had a headache yesterday. I have told all my friends at school and my roommate what I'm doing for accountability...so that I don't drink either wine or coffee.

Angie: I can relate to doing w30 for anti-inflammatory reasons. I have high C-Reactive Protein (suggests high inflammation) and autoimmune antibodies for Rheumatoid Factor and was testing me for Lupus- which I don't have- but he was concerned about it. (I recently started having some thyroid symptoms although my thryoid tests are within normal limits). I am impressed your doctor suggested a dietary change, mine only said stop drinking coffee, alcohol and eating chocolate..lol. (I was sort of like...what is the point of living then! HAHAHA...). I found the w30 a few years ago, and the dietary change for me makes a huge difference! I just need to stick with it...

I also struggle with my weight and body image (I used to compulsively overexercise in the past)...so I'd be lying that I didn't also want to lose weight with this w30. I feel so much more confident when I am at a lower weight (size, I don't weigh myself really anymore). Freedom for me would be how I can learn to be confident in myself now, regardless of my weight/size.

Nice to meet you guys and hope to get to know you more during the next month as we whole-30 on :D

Jess

Hi all!

I'm starting Day 2, and feeling good. So my morning routine for about the last 7 years has been steel cut oatmeal with blueberries and my peppermint mocha (started making them at home when I got hooked on coffee after moving to Portland; I didn't drink coffee ever before then). I'd watch Good Morning America, and the whole routine - food and tv became kind of a comfort thing, some company, when my kids went off to school for the day and more recently when the last one moved out. When my kids were at home we never had meals in front of the tv, so this was the only time for me. Well, that turned into every meal, every snack - watch tv and eat. No bueno. So a big part of this Whole30 journey for me is severing that link, and so far I'm 3 meals into it, sitting at the dining room table and reading something instead. And breakfast was eggs and veggies and black coffee. I'm also going to limit coffee to one cup a day; I'd begun having 2 or 3, and always with a crap ton of chocolate, syrup and whipped cream!

Here's to a great Day 1, 2 and 3 for everyone! 

Hey KathrynME!  TV is suuuuch an enabler.  There is something comforting about mindless eating in front of the tube, no doubt.  One thing that really helped us get away from this is cancelling cable.  We only have netflix and so if we decide to eat in front of the TV (usually watching old school Star Trek,)  it's a bit of a special event. :)

Day 3 here---You guys are inspiring me!

I will avoid eating in front of the tv during the whole 30 to break that bad habit.

Also, I have a bad habit of making and drinking coffee all day at work.  I bought decaf to make at work so I can come off the caffeine, although I'll still be having my 2 cups of black caffeinated in the very early AM when I wake.

Hi Rockinred! :D   I'm hanging in there...how are you doing? Starting Day 5 today...

I am having a hard time without coffee. I miss the "comforting" feeling of the robust flavor of coffee that herbal tea does not provide, lol.  I was thinking of trying some unsweetened almond milk heated with cinnamon or something. It is Fall and starting to get chilly...and oh lordie, am I missing a PSL right now. I am missing the "buzz" from it too...but I am feeling a little more calm overall I think, so maybe this is good. I feel stressed most of the time in general :-/

I didn't do a good enough job meal prepping this week...I will run out of food after today...so I'll need to do a grocery run after the gym tonight. I do need to look at the pre and post-WO snack suggestions and do better there.  I didn't eat anything after my workout last night..and woke up hungry at like 2 AM and all I could find was a banana...which is all sugar and probably isn't helpful to eat alone. So far, I have hit the gym 2 days in a row now...which I haven't done since MAY! :D

I also need to be more mindful when I eat...I'm usually at school, reading and shoving food down the hatch.  Today I want to be more mindful when I eat and sit and be present.

I had a headache and had to take a nap back on Day 2, but other than that...no crazy symptoms. I am waiting for the train to hit me as far as carb flu and all of that...but so far so good (which makes me think I am eating too many carbs or something...?).

How is everyone else doing?

Day 4

so far, so good.  I made a mistake yesterday and had a brownie made of raw cacao, dates and walnuts blended.  I didn't realize you can't have cacao with dates. Im not going to let it detail me though and I'm moving on.  I'm drinking lots of decaf black coffee and sparkling water to distract me during times I would normally grab a treat.  I think because I'm already gluten free I'm not having too many horrible symptoms.  I've been very short tempered with my family though. Oh, and I'm constipated. TMI sorry!  I'm eating lots of veggies and taking lots of magnesium though so that should resolve things.

i haven't been working out so that's the component I need to add.  My goal is to get on the treadmill tomorrow before work.

Hi, how's everyone doing?!  I've been swamped with work and then this storm hit so that was distracting. Day 7 is done, one week down.  I really like updating my calendar at the end of every day. I fold each sticky in half so that I can see the progress I'm making.  But on Day 2 I didn't go a good enough job reading the book because as I was eating my super healthy dinner that included corn kernels with my sautéed kale and wondering if corn was ok, but figuring that if potatoes are then corn must be too.... yah, no. I debated starting over, and maybe I'll still add two days at the end, but I'm forging on ahead. Basically, there is no way I was re-doing that whole calendar!

I have been hungry between meals but I think it's getting better. And I've forced myself to stick to one morning coffee. It's not as tempting later in the day anymore considering it's not my sugary, syrupy sweet treat peppermint mocha. I'm getting a little tired of eggs. Breakfast tomorrow is going to be my leftovers from dinner tonight! And I need to start working out. I'm committing to exercising 4 times this week. I'd love the motivational push from the group.

Hi Kathryn,

sounds like you're doing well.  Congrats! I started over and I am now on day 3.  I started falling of the track and that eventually led to a little too much almond butter one day.  I decided to start over because it turns out I was making a lot of little mistakes.  I listened to the book It Starts with Food last week and learned a lot, including no snacking and no chewing gum.  I'm thinking of my breakfast lunch and dinner as just 3 meals a day.  Oh and I subscribed to the daily newsletter this time.  I'm so glad I did!  I'm determined this time around.

week 2 for you!! Yay!!

angie

Hello All,

I just finished day 3. I have to attribute my success so far to extensive food prep. Now, however, I have to get some more things prepped. I have tomorrow covered, but haven't planned meals after that yet. I have spent close to $700 on food in the last 4 days! I certainly can't keep that up. I have more than doubled my food budget, but I have lots of animal proteins ready. I even bought a duck to roast (maybe this weekend). Then I can catch some of that duck fat and I am thinking I will make duck broth instead of chicken broth. I figure it will work the same-maybe even better. 

I am trying to stop snacking, but that proved hard at 7:00 pm after my 11 am lunch when I was still 30 minutes from getting home to eat my delicious Vegetable Beef Soup I found on the Whole 30 Facebook Page. Luckily I still had some red, yellow and orange pepper sticks (leftover from making the soup). That was enough to get me home. I am scared I am going to make a mistake where I truly accidentally eat something off the list. That is the real reason I need to stay away from snacking. 

I do feel pretty great though. I felt very clear-headed this morning and my energy felt pretty high all day. Now it is after 9 and generally I have crawled into bed as soon as my kids are asleep. I haven't had many cravings-although there is SOOOO much junk EVERYWHERE. I guess I sort of crave cheese, but otherwise it has been easy to stay on track. 

How is everyone else doing?

21 hours ago, KathrynME said:

I'm getting a little tired of eggs. Breakfast tomorrow is going to be my leftovers from dinner tonight! And I need to start working out. I'm committing to exercising 4 times this week. I'd love the motivational push from the group.

I hear you about eggs. I am trying to find creative ways to incorporate salmon. I tried to add a salmon filet on my breakfast hash this morning, but it was almost more than I could stomach. I had an egg too, so I figure it is okay I didn't finish my fish. 

I didn't read about the exercise piece of the Whole yet, but keep seeing people mention it. I did run on Saturday and Sunday, but it gets pretty hectic to fit in a run during the work week. I work at a school though, so I did manage to play with some kids in gym and remember how hard hula-hooping is...but it MUST be a good ab workout!

What kind of exercising are you going to do?

• Moderators

@Wendy W if you regularly have that big a gap between lunch and dinner, you can plan a mini-meal to have. You should be able to get 4-5 hours between meals pretty easily when you've worked out how big to make your meals, but we don't expect you to go longer than that. While we don't encourage mindless snacking or eating out of habit rather than hunger, if you're legitimately hungry, eat. You could pack something like a hard boiled egg, some cut up veggies, and some olives or mayo or guac to have between lunch and dinner, or just pack a bigger lunch than you'll need and eat the leftovers.

The meal template outlines what meals should look like and what to do for pre- and post-workout meals, which are in addition to your other meals.

For anyone struggling with breakfast ideas that aren't eggs, remember that you can eat anything for breakfast you'd eat any other time of day. Soup, salmon cakes, salads, sausage, burger patties or meatballs are all good. Here's one discussion with some ideas, or google Whole30 no egg breakfasts for more.

Archived