Starting November First!!

Raven

Day 1 for me was a real struggle!  I wanted to stay in bed all morning and had to work late in the day (which is normal, but still).  I batch cooked some crab cakes before work and was able to get three solid meals in, plus a snack of a pork Epic bar after work.  Usually, I don't have major sugar cravings on Day 1, but my brain was on full What-have-you-gotten-us-into-I-NEED-sugar mode.  Uhnf.  Needless to say, I made it through and am proud of myself for not making tomorrow Day 1 again.  :)

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Raven said:

I've done several W30s too and this time and only doing two (maybe three) weeks, as I was invited to Thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family.  Is this something that would be possible for you to do?  Or are you looking to do the full 30 days?

I'm going to try to do the full 30 days. We'll see what happens though. I'm more focused on the big picture this time, making lasting changes. Maybe I'll decide that a 2 or 3 week reset is all I need, or maybe I'll realize that I need 45 or 60 days. I just really want to feel better than I do now!

Hi everyone! So glad to find you!  Welcome to day 2 - hangover day! 

Im a Nov 1st starter too. This is my second time through - did successfully last autumn and found it tough but very very useful ( esp the reintro) to work out which foods to be wary of. It gets so so SO much easier as you go along so hang in there newbies! 

The forum really kept me going and I don't think I'd have done it without that incredible support so keep checking in guys. I need you all! Last year did with my daughter. This year going it alone while still feeding our household of 5. Gulp. Also have a hotel stay and a work course towards the end. Big gulp. But I'm a big girl and no one will actually be putting food in my mouth except me right? 

No Thor's hammer as I woke up (love the timeline!!) but StrUggling to face breakfast. As always. Have made frittata muffins (ie frittata mix baked in silicon muffin cases) so I can grab and go. Smell wonderful but not quite the same without a large latte to go with them.......

have a great day 2 people! Together we can do this!!

Raven well done sticking with it! I've got it wrong with other plans and it's an aweful feeling when you fail again. Not this time!! Were 3.3% done already!  Just refused coffee with a mate in a lovely coffee shop - my sugar addict me is telling me it would be fine but my 'w30 me' knows those lattes will do my head in. Not today. Now I've joined you all I'm not resetting either. 

5 hours ago, Raven said:

Day 1 for me was a real struggle!  I wanted to stay in bed all morning and had to work late in the day (which is normal, but still).  I batch cooked some crab cakes before work and was able to get three solid meals in, plus a snack of a pork Epic bar after work.  Usually, I don't have major sugar cravings on Day 1, but my brain was on full What-have-you-gotten-us-into-I-NEED-sugar mode.  Uhnf.  Needless to say, I made it through and am proud of myself for not making tomorrow Day 1 again.  :)

day 2 started fine. had woken up an hour earlier than day 1. had green tea. oh btw i had an espresso yesterday afternoon. head-pressure followed. and I must admit i am not following the whole 30 to the letter in that, even though i havent added any non-compliant foods, I really struggle with eggs and fish, ie animal protein. so now I've used up all my eggs (phew), and made 2 servings of tuna salad for dinner and tomorrow's breakfast, I will continue with plant-based proteins as recommended in the book whole 30. apart from that, I also decided that I am not ready to give up coffee. so i made a deal with myself. my first whole30 with coffee, the next one without...

feel junky as havent been able to go power walking as am waiting for a DHL delivery!! so I've been meal-prepping and doing tasks inside the house. and I've decided for no more home-deliveries for a while as I am no longer prepared to wait all day for a delivery!

after my late breakfast of spinach tortilla leftovers, with added lentil sprouts, I got on my bike to ride only 200m (to get coffee from the store!). my thighs felt so weak. this feeling then spread over my entire body, this weakness. it felt similar to when i get a very low blood sugar, but without the shakes and EXTREME weakness. after about 30 mins it went away. anyone can tell me what this couldve been? I'm guessing my body is missing the carbs i used to fuel it with in the form of fruit and cooked whole foods like potatoes. i have no medical condition, and also didnt experience the so called hangover today. i am cranky though as one might have noticed. also, am not drinking enough, and extra thirsty at the same time. adding too much salt to meals. but salt-free egg just doesnt taste nice! i dont look forward to tuna for dinner but once that's out of the way, tomorrow, i will proceed to buy things i might actually enjoy eating. how are you guys getting on??

• Administrators
1 hour ago, SpiralUp said:

after my late breakfast of spinach tortilla leftovers, with added lentil sprouts, I got on my bike to ride only 200m (to get coffee from the store!). my thighs felt so weak. this feeling then spread over my entire body, this weakness. it felt similar to when i get a very low blood sugar, but without the shakes and EXTREME weakness. after about 30 mins it went away. anyone can tell me what this couldve been? I'm guessing my body is missing the carbs i used to fuel it with in the form of fruit and cooked whole foods like potatoes. i have no medical condition, and also didnt experience the so called hangover today. i am cranky though as one might have noticed. also, am not drinking enough, and extra thirsty at the same time. adding too much salt to meals. but salt-free egg just doesnt taste nice! i dont look forward to tuna for dinner but once that's out of the way, tomorrow, i will proceed to buy things i might actually enjoy eating. how are you guys getting on??

@SpiralUp - If you are used to relying heavily on carbohydrates and you remove them without replacing that energy source with fat, you will almost certainly feel wonky. Potatoes are permitted on Whole30 but instead of prioritizing carbs with every meal, make sure you are having adequate fat with every meal. Also make sure you are salting your food. If you used to use any sort of pre-packaged foods, they tend to come high in sodium and when you reduce processed foods, sodium intake drops. Salt is required for human life so go ahead and get that salt shaker out.

You could list what you've been eating, portions, timing, specific proteins/veggies/fats and we can take a look and see if anything stands out. Know that the vegetarian Whole30 is an "alternative" to actually doing the Whole30 and while we do support folks in their effort to do a veggie Whole30, none of the mods are vegetarians and because we're all volunteers and we base our assistance on anecdotal/experiential data, it's hard for us to specifically tell you where you might make revisions while using the veggie version of the Whole30. But let's take a look and see if anything stands out! :)

For "extra thirsty", let us know how much water you are drinking a day. The recommendation is 1/2 ounce per pound of bodyweight so if you are under that, drink more!

Day 2 started off a bit like how Day 1 ended...with me being anxious.  :(

But I'm having hot dogs with sauerkraut and German mustard for my Meal 1, so things are looking up!  I love having non-traditional breakfast foods for breakfast.  :D

Day 2 started off strong.  Toasted sliced sweet potato and topped with homemade almond butter (using coconut and avocado oil) and sliced banana.  Not having any cravings so far, but also have a head cold so that may be affecting it....

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rlewis.602 said:

Day 2 started off strong.  Toasted sliced sweet potato and topped with homemade almond butter (using coconut and avocado oil) and sliced banana.  Not having any cravings so far, but also have a head cold so that may be affecting it....

@rlewis.602 - have you seen the meal template (linked below). There is no protein in your first meal, just fat and carbohydrates. We also recommend that you have 1-3 cups of vegetables with every meal. 

If you continue on this way, I suspect you will begin to experience increasing hunger, cravings and exhaustion. The best practice would be to create your meals to match the template.

I started whole30 November 1st.  So far, so good!  I've been doing Paleo since end of July and have lost 23lbs.  I wanted to try whole30 to guarantee no cheat days!!  And to figure out how different foods help/hurt me in different ways.  So, I'm most excited about the re-introduction phase.  I still have about 60lbs left to go, so weight is always a goal, but I'm trying to concentrate more on health and how I feel!  I've recruited my husband, mom, dad, and 2 coworkers to join me on the challenge.  I'm worried for them, because it's only day 2 and they are complaining...a lot!!!

i started nov 1st also and on day 2 and am suprised at how well its going so far. i was a huge cafeeine junky and didnt realize it, i am glad i quit my yucky energy drinks 1 week before i started this. im thinking that is why i feel like im in the brain fog mode already on day 2. ive had a few cravings today and just take a deep breath and remind myself why i am doing this! thanks to all for the great support! 
one meal at a time one day at a time 

Hi! Just finishing day 2...

I woke up before the alarm (yay!), had 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and an espresso (I enjoy the "George Clooney" moment more than the caffeine, I use to relax and visualize/plan the day. Should there be any flags on that?). Lunch and dinner of veggies, protein and seasoned with fat.

I found out I have an "empty stomach" sensation about half an hour after each meal. Half an hour later it disappears. I'm eating until filled, and am generous with protein portions and fat.

Also, living in Spain, meaning out-of-common-sense meal hours, leaves me with many hours between meals: breakfast at 8am, lunch at 2:30-3pm, dinner at 9pm. Around noon I was hungry and opted for a few cashews.

I also had a light headache these 2 days, but I'm blaming that on the bread I had on Oct. 31st :wacko: I'm really sensitive to gluten and this summer I threw all caution and common sense away, and a much-needed reset to good habits is my main reason for this Whole30. My first, even though I've been on elimination diets before.

Now, off to a good night's rest! Feeling strong for the next days!

@Mallorca  Hopefully one of the mods will chime in on this, but maybe, since your eating period extends over 12 hours, you should throw in another meal?  or maybe a snack/mini-meal of protein, veg, and fat?  Glad to read that you're feeling strong for the future!  :D

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Mallorca said:

Hi! Just finishing day 2...

I woke up before the alarm (yay!), had 2 scrambled eggs with spinach and an espresso (I enjoy the "George Clooney" moment more than the caffeine, I use to relax and visualize/plan the day. Should there be any flags on that?). Lunch and dinner of veggies, protein and seasoned with fat.

I found out I have an "empty stomach" sensation about half an hour after each meal. Half an hour later it disappears. I'm eating until filled, and am generous with protein portions and fat.

Also, living in Spain, meaning out-of-common-sense meal hours, leaves me with many hours between meals: breakfast at 8am, lunch at 2:30-3pm, dinner at 9pm. Around noon I was hungry and opted for a few cashews.

I also had a light headache these 2 days, but I'm blaming that on the bread I had on Oct. 31st :wacko: I'm really sensitive to gluten and this summer I threw all caution and common sense away, and a much-needed reset to good habits is my main reason for this Whole30. My first, even though I've been on elimination diets before.

Now, off to a good night's rest! Feeling strong for the next days!

Hi @Mallorca - thanks to @Raven for pointing out your post to the mods, sometimes these threads move so fast we miss things that could use attention. 

We recommend that your meals are able to sustain you for 4-5 hours. If you have longer than 4-5 hours between meals, you can either have another whole meal or a mini-meal that still contains protein, fat and veggie. If you can't manage all three for that mini-meal, your best results will come from protein and fat or protein and vegetables. 

I do notice that your one reported meal, today's first meal, is super small. Eggs, when they are your sole protein, are as many as you can hold in your hand without dropping. That's at least 3-4 for most people as a start. Or you could keep the 2 eggs and add another protein source. We recommend you are eating 1-3 cups (FILL your plate) with vegetables at every meal. A bit of spinach mixed into scrambled eggs is negligible. Also, I don't notice any report of added fat. 

My sense is that you are having the hungry feeling shortly after eating because your body is trying to tell you to add more food. The lightheaded would be a result of under-eating and could be also due to lack of water or lack of sodium. When you come from a history of eating a lot of carbohydrates in the form of processed foods and breads etc and then you eliminate those and just eat protein, veggies and fat, if you don't add an adequate amount of fat and proper protein and veggie servings, you are vastly under-eating. 

Try bumping up your meal quantities and adding in mini-meals or snacks.

Thanks! I'll try adding more quantity to breakfast (I wake up not that hungry, guess that will change over time).

as for feeling hungry after, it's funny because immediately after the meal I'm quite stuffed, and then... boom, empty again.

I'll add snacks, and keep going strong! :)

Day 3.  I slept in and so kind of skipped breakfast but find that I'm not very hungry.  For a combined breakfast/lunch, I had a 10 fl oz mighty mango naked smoothie (I know, I know, lots of fruit) and a poached egg with kosher salt and pepper.  Still trying to kick this headcold but I feel really good from the neck down.  I have a couple of free hours and the weather in Phoenix is really nice today so think I'm going to go hike a local mountain and bring some celery and almond butter for the top as my second "lunch".  I wonder if my increase in water is helping me feel less hungry?  In any case, trying to eat regularly so I don't go into starvation mode.

hey, guys! i'm in the last hours of my day 4 - I live in brazil so starting on monday wasnt a big deal since halloween here doesnt actually exist. it's my first round! since i din't find anyone that started on the 31st, i thought it would be ok to join you guys. i'll just be a day ahead.

i workout first thing in the morning and i wasnt eating a propper breakfast, just my pre and post workout meals - then someone advised me to eat a bigger post workout meal to serve as breakast, so i wound't skip that meal. it worked out pretty great and when i started to feel my stomach cry for food it was already noon. so yay. but i still think fat is not a priority on my meals, so i'm trying to change that for the next (not so) few days. 

my mood is actually okay, i felt worse on day 2. except my workouts (crossfit) are crappy and i'm not sleeping that well, so i'm exhausted. i'm also anxious about treats and sugar still - i used to have a super ok diet during the week but on weekends was a full on sugar fest, so this is a huge change for me.

thank you all for the support, it's the best way to stop me from thinking about chocolate cake haha.

Hi!! 

I starting my second whole30 Monday as well. I really valued my first experience, but feel I would benefit from a second program to really kill the sugar dragon and I still good eating habits. Happy day 4! I'm feeling super tired today, so noticed some cravings, but hanging in there :)

Yay more people have joined us!

Day 3 for me has been rough again.  I've been super stressed lately and am finding this process more difficult than in the past.  But, I've committed to two weeks and that's what I'm gonna do!  I had some stomach problems today and had to run to the bathroom at the local grocery store as my roommate was in the bathroom!  Eek!  So, things have been pretty upset there, but my skin is maybe feeling a bit softer...?  It's the little things.  Oh! and I batch cooked some turbot and red potatoes with green onions and started some beef broth this evening!

On October 10, 2016 at 6:15 PM, Raven said:

Is there anyone out there planning a Whole30 for the month of November?

I realize this isn't the best time for some people, as there are family dinners and treats galore, but this year I won't be doing anything extravagant for the holidays.  So I'm thinking it would be a good time to do another reset, and I'd would love some support!

On October 31, 2016 at 4:45 PM, Mallorca said:

Hi! I'm starting on Nov.1st too. I'm from Spain, so I guess I'll let you know how the day feels ahead of time ;)

Yes I started Oct 31st in San Diego, Ca. Day 4 feels like I was hit by 4 Mack trucks. My friend assures me it gets better. Lotsa water and herbal teas. I'll keep you posted.

2 hours ago, mattme said:

2 meals down on day five and feeling exhausted here

Are you getting enough fat in your meals? Salting your food? And drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, daily? All of these will impact your energy levels...

Feel free to post a few days worth of your meals indicating portion sizes, liquid intake, activity levels etc and we can take a look to check you're on the right path.

Archived