Starting November First!!

Raven

@ladyshanny I'm about to make breakfast but can't think of much that would be satisfying without protein- just fats and carbohydrates.  To be clear, eggs are a no-no until lunch?

Day 4 and I feel pretty good.  I don't drink alcohol so don't miss that, and surprisingly don't miss sugar at all.  Bread is not that bad.  What I really want is beans and cheese!  Think I need to figure out my fat and protein, or perhaps just get past old habits.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... day 4! so far:

• I added more substance to breakfast... today I had 2 fried eggs, sautéed squash, and I also put a diced apple in the pan. Also added a spoonful (or two...) of cashew nut butter. @ladyshanny would this be enough? should I add more? I'm feeling like a smoothie with full-fat coconut milk and some fruit to add more fat, since I can't really chew much more than what I already am...
  • Breakfast is the hardest meal of the day, because I'm not really hungry at that time... I suppose this will change soon. Sleepiness is improving as well.
  • I could not fully believe the extent of those until I had them... THE DREAMS. I dreamt I was at different places, and everywhere there would be a course not-fully-compliant-but-almost, or plain junk fund, and I would think and think and think about having it... I don't remember if I had it, but I think I tasted some fries eventually... I felt so bad in that dream! It was more like a temptations nightmare! Luckily as soon as I woke up I knew it wasn't real...
  • Some moments of craving junk food, but they are quickly gone. Good for now.
  • I'm eating REALLY big meals. And feeling so good because I know they are as big as they are healthy. Gluten headaches, as I call them, are almost gone. Photo of last night's dinner!
  • Had to take my scale's batteries out, and hide it in the garage to make the "scale cravings" more difficult to fulfill. So far, so good hahaha.

dinner.jpeg

53 minutes ago, rlewis.602 said:

@ladyshanny I'm about to make breakfast but can't think of much that would be satisfying without protein- just fats and carbohydrates.  To be clear, eggs are a no-no until lunch?

Day 4 and I feel pretty good.  I don't drink alcohol so don't miss that, and surprisingly don't miss sugar at all.  Bread is not that bad.  What I really want is beans and cheese!  Think I need to figure out my fat and protein, or perhaps just get past old habits.

hey! i dont think eggs are a no no before lunch! if they are i'm doing this thing preeetty wrong hahaha. but i dont think so, they actually suggest it for breakfast on that sample mealplan at the book. salmon cakes are a good choice too, or chicken sausage! i mean, they sound cook - i'm on my first week and i've been grabbing boiled eggs to eat as a pre workout cause i haven't had time to think about meat in the morning.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, rlewis.602 said:

Say what?? Sorry, I don't really understand your question. Your meals should always contain protein, veggies and fats. You can eat eggs whenever you like; 3-4 as a start for most people as a serving.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Mallorca said:

So... day 4! so far:

• I added more substance to breakfast... today I had 2 fried eggs, sautéed squash, and I also put a diced apple in the pan. Also added a spoonful (or two...) of cashew nut butter. @ladyshanny would this be enough? should I add more? I'm feeling like a smoothie with full-fat coconut milk and some fruit to add more fat, since I can't really chew much more than what I already am...

Hi @Mallorca - this is still a pretty small breakfast. Eggs, when they are your sole protein source, are a serving size of whatever you can hold in your hand without dropping; that's at least 3-4 for most people. Or you can stick with your two eggs and add another protein source such as cooked chicken, leftover steak etc. Whatever you have on hand. It's hard to tell the amount of veggies you had. Starches such as winter squashes should be a fist sized serving and then add another, non-starchy veggie so that you have around 2-3 cups in total. Cashew nut butter is a fat, yes. But it's not ideal, unfortunately. Cashews are very carby/sweet and nuts in general are recommended to be limited; think one closed handful every other day. For nut butters that would be around a tbsp every other day, approximately.

The real test though, Mallorca, is how you are feeling around 4-5 hours after this meal. If you're starving at 3 hours and wanting to eat your arm, your meal was too small. You let us know!

So I've been reading through this thread and realizing that I am probably under eating. But my problem is that after about a half-portion of a meal, I start to feel full and the food actually becomes unappetizing. Will this change as my habits change? I often eat half of my meal then eat the other half 2-3 hours later when I get hungry again. 

Hey guys! How are you?  Day 5 is almost done here and im super happy!!

I've felt exhausted the whooole day. I actually slept an hour longer than im used to and i felt sleepy anyway. I guess its normal right now, but im paying more attention to my meals and, specially, fats. 

This evening we're cooking pork chops and apple pure and kale, we were really craving pork meat. Which is cool cause on fridays we would usually eat crap, cook pasta that was "easier" and feel bloated aftetwards. I went to the market to get some of the ingredients and - YAY - passed the sugary treats aisle without thinking that i wanted cookies really bad. Also, the pants i wore today and were fitting great, only last week felt really thight and discomfy. :)

How was your day? 

Hi guys - were over 10% done! 

I think I might soon look like an egg. I'm with NatalieCatalie on getting full v quickly and Mallorca on struggling to face breakfast. Eughhhhh. Had vast breakfast today ( left over complient moussaka , cabbage with a poached egg on top) and couldn't eat a thing until 4. Great cos I was working and food shopping. Felt rather smug with my trolley full of veg and some lovely meat. Had to do an extra lap of the supermarket hoping to bump into someone I knew!!

Mallorca - re not hungry at breakfast time - last time a helpful moderator said it showed a hormone inbalance so to plough on. 

Ive invited people in for bonfire night tomorrow so am ditching burgers and hot dogs ( cos no bread looks too wierd) for baked spuds and I'll leave a chilli bubbling away. But have made a vast apple cake for everyone else and I'm scared I'm going to cave in and eat a slice. Most likely when I'm clearing up. 

Help!! Any bright ideas? 

• Moderators
6 hours ago, britgirl said:

Ive invited people in for bonfire night tomorrow so am ditching burgers and hot dogs ( cos no bread looks too wierd) for baked spuds and I'll leave a chilli bubbling away. But have made a vast apple cake for everyone else and I'm scared I'm going to cave in and eat a slice. Most likely when I'm clearing up. 

Help!! Any bright ideas? 

Maybe have some disposable type bowls or treat boxes and once everyone gets what they want of the cake right then, box up the rest of the pieces and let them all take some home? Be very clear that you're throwing away leftovers, and I bet some of them take some with them, and then throw the rest away immediately so you're not tempted. I've heard of people even pouring dish soap over leftovers to be sure they wouldn't be tempted to eat them.

Glad to see so many of us hanging in there!

Day 4 for me was all right.  Sugar cravings are still persisting.  I did nothing chore-wise that I wanted to do, but got a lot of reading done that I'd been putting off and played a game that my bf got me awhile back that I had been wanting to play for awhile.  Oh! and I took a nap!

9 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Maybe have some disposable type bowls or treat boxes and once everyone gets what they want of the cake right then, box up the rest of the pieces and let them all take some home? Be very clear that you're throwing away leftovers, and I bet some of them take some with them, and then throw the rest away immediately so you're not tempted. I've heard of people even pouring dish soap over leftovers to be sure they wouldn't be tempted to eat them.

Thanks ShannonM that's a very good plan.  My family will want to keep a bit but I've decided the rule will be that they have to put it all away or I'm binning it.  While I was out this am DH has also defrosted 8 cheesecake slices too so were now awash with pudding! But strangely that helped - it looks v pretty but I just KNOW it will promise much and deliver little. And I keep imagining how Ill feel if I eat some - brief reward for big regret, failure and beating self up. So I'll serve it with a smile and enjoy the success of NOT eating it. And my tummy will thank me! 

22 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

Cashew nut butter is a fat, yes. But it's not ideal, unfortunately. Cashews are very carby/sweet and nuts in general are recommended to be limited; think one closed handful every other day. For nut butters that would be around a tbsp every other day, approximately.

Oops. I've been having a handful of nuts every day as I keep in my handbag for if work/life overruns, to take the edge of hunger while I'm cooking a lengthy tea or or to add easy portable fat to a frittata style grab breakfast. I now realise I'm probably eating too little protein and too much fat and carb (I think of nuts as a good mixture of fat/protein/carb but I don't think whole 30 does)

I thought I was ahead of the game keeping little tins of tuna in the car - until I came to eat one  and realised it didn't have a ring pull. Sharp stone anyone??

Does anybody have any non-nut,  can- keep -in -the -car snack food ideas? Please don't say beef jerky - I probably would rather eat my arm. Tell me what you guys do.....

I liked the idea of adding leftover meat and tried it twice this week. It really helped me stave off hunger for over 4 hours. Once it was shredded chicken and once some leftover roast beef. I'll definitely do that again, especially on days when I know lunch is apt to be late.

Limiting nuts is always a challenge for me, although I try to eat pecans, almonds or macadamia nuts, rather than cashews. My way of dealing with it is to allow it daily the first week, and then stick closer to the Whole 30 guidelines of every other day. I figure it beats eating a totally noncompliant food or eating a trigger food, like dried fruit. I am anxious to hear other people's recommendations for on-the-go snacks, and I feel the same about jerky! And H.B. eggs only work if it's a sit down snack -- not particularly great for the car or out in public.

I've had a roller-coaster week. Although I officially started November 1, I actually started last weekend. So I had an early occurrence of "kill all things" and some frequent bouts of fatigue (exacerbated by our time change that occurred here in Mexico LAST weekend!)

My biggest challenge is dealing with non-routine days, and I had several this week. One was a shopping day with a friend to a nearby city, and the other was a day with a yoga class and a massage scheduled too close together to actually eat a full meal between. Both times I chose the restaurant with care, but still had difficulty getting enough food. Drinking water definitely helps in these situations, but not completely. I know this requires more careful advance planning.

The other helpful advice was to eat protein and fat OR protein and veggies as a post WO meal.

So although this is officially Day 5 for me, I'm reading ahead to see what typical for Days 6, 7, and 8.

P.S. I have a good friend who is experiencing MAJOR digestive problems, and I refrained from trying to "sell" her on Whole 30, even though I KNOW she would feel better if she ate this way. She knows what I am doing, and she can ask questions if she is interested. Tough for me to be silent and not proselytize!

58 minutes ago, IronGirlTrixie said:
59 minutes ago, IronGirlTrixie said:
1 hour ago, IronGirlTrixie said:

For on the go snacks, I use Rx bars.  Especially at a 3 hour dance and there's a break in between. 

What's a Rx bar please? Like a Naked bar? 

Like the sound of tuna cakes. Would you mind posting the recipe? 

Yep planned outings are fine - it's the 'caught out cos life happened' ones I'm trying to pre prepare for when I do usually fall back on nuts (as easy, portable, don't go off ). 

3 hours of dancing sounds pretty awesome!!

I started today. After reading some of the comments, I too got the feeling I probably ate too little. Then I went into my fitness pal to check calories and even with liberal estimates, I was barely over 1,000 calories. My meals felt big, but I'm used to eating more bad stuff. Will try to do better about this tomorrow. 

I'm struggling with fats. It's hard for me to eat a fat with every single meal, especially when nuts and nut butters are discouraged...and I really dislike avocado. Ideas or suggestions? Also, does cooking something in a healthy fat/oil count as a serving of it?

• Moderators
Just now, Crystalb said:

I started today. After reading some of the comments, I too got the feeling I probably ate too little. Then I went into my fitness pal to check calories and even with liberal estimates, I was barely over 1,000 calories. My meals felt big, but I'm used to eating more bad stuff. Will try to do better about this tomorrow. 

I'm struggling with fats. It's hard for me to eat a fat with every single meal, especially when nuts and nut butters are discouraged...and I really dislike avocado. Ideas or suggestions? Also, does cooking something in a healthy fat/oil count as a serving of it?

Cooking oils often stay in the pan and aren't consumed, so they count some toward a fat, but are usually not enough on their own.

Mayo is a great fat option -- you can dip vegetables (raw or cooked) into it, you can mix it with tuna or chicken or hard boiled eggs for a protein salad, you can use it as a salad dressing, and you can change up the flavor by using different herbs or spices in it so it's not always the same. Olives are a good fat source, as is compliant bacon occasionally if you can find it. You can also drizzle oil or ghee over your cooked meats or vegetables (coconut oil on a baked sweet potato with some coarse sea salt and cinnamon is amazing, or drizzle some sesame oil over a stir fry). Or you can make sauces/dips -- there's some ideas here, or something like a chimichurri sauce or a pesto sauce would be good too. If you want some nuts or nut butters occasionally, that's fine, just don't make them your main fat source. Have them as an extra -- a few toasted almonds in your green beans, a few walnuts or sunflower seeds tossed into a salad, something like that.

Also, we'd encourage you not to spend a lot of time tracking calories and stuff. Follow the meal template, build your meals so that you're easily going 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry, and don't worry about the numbers.

13 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Cooking oils often stay in the pan and aren't consumed, so they count some toward a fat, but are usually not enough on their own.

Mayo is a great fat option -- you can dip vegetables (raw or cooked) into it, you can mix it with tuna or chicken or hard boiled eggs for a protein salad, you can use it as a salad dressing, and you can change up the flavor by using different herbs or spices in it so it's not always the same. Olives are a good fat source, as is compliant bacon occasionally if you can find it. You can also drizzle oil or ghee over your cooked meats or vegetables (coconut oil on a baked sweet potato with some coarse sea salt and cinnamon is amazing, or drizzle some sesame oil over a stir fry). Or you can make sauces/dips -- there's some ideas here, or something like a chimichurri sauce or a pesto sauce would be good too. If you want some nuts or nut butters occasionally, that's fine, just don't make them your main fat source. Have them as an extra -- a few toasted almonds in your green beans, a few walnuts or sunflower seeds tossed into a salad, something like that.

Also, we'd encourage you not to spend a lot of time tracking calories and stuff. Follow the meal template, build your meals so that you're easily going 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry, and don't worry about the numbers.

I hadn't really planned to track calories. As I said, I just did it that first day to get an idea of how much I need to be eating.  Less than 1,000 calories isn't really a healthy amount so I was glad to track it that one day and give myself a starting point to know if I needed to add more foods to my meals. I'm used to eating a terrible diet, so I'm trying to get used to portion sizes, etc. (i.e. 3-4 eggs seems like a TON! I usually eat 1 or maybe 2). And, my body is not very reliable right now as far as hunger/full signals so I thought it was a good way to help me get my bearings at the beginning.

Thanks for the fat ideas. I didn't have a chance to make mayo yet, but it's definitely on my list for the near future for some ranch dressing!

Archived