October 17th Start

allisonra

Hello!  I will be starting Whole30 on Monday, October 17th.  While I've started Whole30 before I've never finished a round and I'm hoping this time will be different.  About 3 years ago, I lost 60lbs by sticking to a mostly paleo diet.  I felt the best I ever had in my life.  I maintained that weight and lifestyle for about a year. Then I gradually started slipping until I was back to my old eating habits and had gained back nearly all of the 60lbs.  I've tried various diets and "programs" since and nothing gives me the results I want. I am disgusted with myself for the decisions I've made that put me in this place again.  I want this time to be different. I want to be in charge of my health and in control of making better choices.  

I would love advice from any of the pros.  I'm also looking for an accountability partner of sorts.  Does anyone out there have a similar start date?  

By the way, I'm a 29 year old female.  I teach 4th grade science :)

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Allison,

I'll start a Whole30 with you Monday. I've done one before in January 2015, but I need another one. Like you, I lost about 30 lbs several years ago on the Paleo diet, but I've gotten sidetracked and gained back about 15 lbs. Not bad, but I'd still like to feel better and have more energy to do the things I like. I also tend to make poor food choices without a plan to make better choices. I don't keep a lot of sugar in the house, but my kids like dairy and starches, (pasta, rice), and then I end up eating it, too. And there are sugary snacks and processed foods at work, so if I don't take a lunch, I end up eating that stuff. And I'd like to work out more often, but I'm always so tired.

I'm a 50 year old female with 2 kids (10 and 16).

Solar915

It's so great to have a buddy!  I live at with my parents. My dad is in poor health so I help out as much as I can, which means I cook a lot of the meals.  He's a big fan of starches, grains, and dessert.  I end up cooking 2 meals which can be exhausting and tempting.  I'm hoping to find meals that he will like or that I can easily modify. He could certainly stand to loses some weight too..

As long as I am prepared at work, I do pretty well.  I struggle the most on weekend or school breaks.  The last 2wks I had been doing really well.  Then fall break started this week and I just fell off the wagon completely!  My major weakness in coffee...and I like mine with creamer and Splenda!  I would love to develop a taste for black coffee, but I'm just not sure it will happen.  

i just got got the book Food Freedom and am excited to read it. Did you read any of the Whole30 books?

Hey allisonra,  welcome aboard!  First, what you said about being disgusted about your choices stayed with me.  You need to change the words you use for yourself.  Would you tell a friend that had gone through the same thing that her choices disgusted you?  Of course not!  Be your own friend. :)  You made mistakes and those are behind you; no need to rehash them.  You can do this!

As for black coffee, you can add some full-fat coconut milk to give it a bit of flavor.  I also like to add cinnamon and nutmeg to make it a little bit more flavorful (especially if it's Starbucks.)  Otherwise, I recommend you find a good "hispter" coffee shop in your area and ask for a pour over.  They should have different blends and can recomment you the sweeter ones.

It is more fun with a buddy, isn't it? I read 'The Whole30', but I should read it again just for motivation. One thing I learned from last time is to keep some La Croix water on hand in case I get desperately hungry; it's carbonated and fills the void until I can make/get to some whole food. My kids like it, too, so I run out before I expect to. But, I'd rather they drink my water than ask for soda. I also like to cook large batches of food, like salmon patties, ratatouille, fritattas, things I can store or pack for lunch. We can share food prep lists if you'd like; I need to get some new ideas! I'm glad it's soup season.

Hey Allison!

I'm starting on Monday, too! I have a local friend here in South Florida doing it with me, but I would love to do accountability with you as well! I've never done the Whole30, but I have a lot of friends who have and say accountability and not cheating are the two biggest musts. I'm 26, a photographer, and just started attending a music school after graduating college in 2012 -- gotta chase those dreams, right? 

Anyways, I would love to get to know you and help each other throughout this next month. I KNOW you can do this AND learn to love black coffee -- it's all in your mindset, love. :)

-Danielle

I am starting my first whole 30 on Monday also! For me personally it's to (hopefully) deal with digestive issues that have been part of my life for as long as I can remember! I have heard that this can really help and as much as I love peanut butter and pop corn I'm willing to try anything at this point. So starting Monday 17 October I am all in! Anyone want to be my accountability/ support buddie(s).

27 yo female military dentist by they way :)

Hi everyone! 

This will be great having so many others for support/pointers/accountability! 

I read on someone's blog that she planned the same breakfast and lunch for the week so she didn't have to spend time figuring out what to prepare, then put her creativity into making a good dinner. I like this idea very much. 

Nom Nom Paleo has been a great resource for Whole30 recipes for me; has anyone found other good sites?

Hello All, 

Monday is the perfect time for me to start another whole 30. Did my first whole30 spring 2015 when I realized I really needed to make a major change in my lifestyle.  It was challenging, but definitely got easier with time and the way it made me feel was so worth it..... continued to eat whole and healthy foods, but kinda messed up reintroduction the first time so did another "strict" whole 30 in july 2015 with a successful reintroduction. Continued to embrace what I learned and by October I 2015 had lost 50lbs and was feeling better then I had in a very long time. As my luck would have it on October 5, 2015 I was diagnosed with breast cancer. stage 2 with positive lymph nodes. Had a double mastectomy,  8 rounds of chemo, and 5 1/2 weeks of radiation  I firmly believe that being in a good state of health when I started treatments really helped. In June of this year I had gained 30 lbs - partly due to a cancer pity party mentality and partly because of the high fat foods that tasted good during chemo. Managed to get thru another whole 30 in June but really lost all control most of the summer. And Allison, like you am feeling a little "disgusted" with myself.  I am due to have my reconstruction surgery - hopefully the last step in my cancer journey- in the end of November. I really want to reset and get back to feeling like I did a year ago. Looking forward to being a part of this group and hearing about all of your experiences!!  We can do this!!

Hi Allison, I am living in NewDelhi, India. I also plan to start from 17th, but have some doubts as how to suit the program as per Indian foods .

I am a lawyer, have a very hectic schedule. i am out of home for almost 12-14 hours. Currently struggling with a leg fracture. Cast likely to be removed on 18th. Inspired by the program and reading about people who have followed it. 

MagR, I'm cooking up a ratatouille so I can freeze some.  My 16 yr old did the first Whole30 with me and has been making homemade mayo and other seasonings since then, so I'll have him mix up some goodies to cook with. Then I need to figure out what else to cook up. I need to pick up some beef bones and make broth; good stuff!

Susabella: Wow! I look forward to doing the W3 along with you. Wishing you all the best.

Jhum jhum, You've got a lot going on, too! Hope we're able to help you out a little with meal ideas, maybe. 

Hi everyone! I too will be starting my first Whole30 on the 17th. I have read both books and have said I'm going to start many times but never have the courage to actually put things in action. I'm 35 years old and the most unhealthy I have been in my adult life. My eating habits are full of processed and unhealthy foods with sporadic additions of vegetables. I know there is going to be quite a bit of revolt and side effects but I am ready to tackle it. As Melissa says this is not hard. What Susabella has been through is hard - what an inspiration! I'm based in Toronto and also looking for an accountability partner. I feel much more motivated and able to stay on track when I know I am in it with someone. Maybe we all can be partners? Looking forward to our start!

Wow! You guys have blown me away with all of your replies and conversations. I wasn't sure I would get any responses but it seems that we are building such a great support group!  I wish there was an easier way for us to all communicate instead of having to comeback to this thread everytime.  If anyone knows of a helpful feature on this site or has other ideas, please share.

jhum jhum, I can completely relate to your fracture. This time last year I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my foot and wore a walking cast for nearly 5 months!  

Im working on meal planning. I have a busy weekend so I'm hoping to get my list together and head to the store tomorrow.  I will meal prep on Sunday.  Breakfast is a big problem for me. I am used to eating in the car on the way to work.  I leave my house at 6:20 and I'm not usually that hungry.  I also hate having to cook.  We shall see what I come up with.  When I come up with my meal plan, I will see if I can share...maybe through google docs?

I'm starting on monday as well. Super anxious about it, really want to give it a try. 55 year old working mother in New York City. Very stressful life, lots of socializing, lot's of nights out. I am doing it with my husband so we can be supportive to one another. I plan on doing a lot of advance planning and prep this weekend. My goal is to learn more about my relationship with food and more specifically alcohol. I have been in the habit of drinking most evenings and I think it has overall been slowing me down and making me feel like a person without self control (uggg!) I am very healthy and tend to eat balanced, meals and don't have any issues with food. This is truly an experiment.  But I'm anxious!!!!

I'm planning to start on Sunday, but think it's close enough and would love to join your accountability group. My family says they want to do this with me, but I'm not sure my husband's commitment level is there.

I'm 31 and a mom to two. I've had a lot of life changes over the last year: relocation, working from home, and a back/hip injury that won'the fully heal. These changes have led to an extreme decline in my eating habits and a steady increase in weight and health issues (migraines, allergies, anxiety). I'm embarrassed and disappointed in myself. I'm ready to feel better and fit into my favorite jeans again (silly, I know).

Based on some previous attempts at dietary changes, my greatest challenge is going to be staying committed when things get hectic. I'm looking forward to sharing tips, recipes and encouragement!

18 hours ago, allisonra said:

Wow! You guys have blown me away with all of your replies and conversations. I wasn't sure I would get any responses but it seems that we are building such a great support group!  I wish there was an easier way for us to all communicate instead of having to comeback to this thread everytime.  If anyone knows of a helpful feature on this site or has other ideas, please share.

Does everyone have Facebook?  We can create a separate secret group there?  

I'm on Facebook, a secret group could definitely work well.

We're having Chik-fil-a tonight, Halloween party tomorrow... this after vacation all this past week. It's going to make for a rough first few days. :(

We just finished grocery shopping to start prepping for a Sunday start. Our boys were excitedly reading labels and looking for compliant foods. Of course, they will be on a very loose variation with us, but it's a good way for them to take part in their nutrition.

My husband and I are also starting on Monday!  We just went through all of our cupboards and fridge to get the kitchen ready for this big change.  Feeling excited and hopeful.  We have been trying to lose weight and conquer our food addiction over the years and get really discouraged.  Our bodies need a re-boot and the Whole30 really spoke to both of us.  Glad this forum is here for support!  Good luck everyone, you'll do great!

Archived